The Student Room Group

Anyone got severe eye floaters?

How do you deal with them. I'm only 26 and got mine after a long aura migraine, mainly in my left eye. The ophtamologist could observe the straggly bits of vitreous jelly so it's not neurological.

I know they're completely harmless but they are annoying as hell.
Original post by lizfairy
How do you deal with them. I'm only 26 and got mine after a long aura migraine, mainly in my left eye. The ophtamologist could observe the straggly bits of vitreous jelly so it's not neurological.

I know they're completely harmless but they are annoying as hell.

Get a second opinion.
Original post by Huw M Thomas
Get a second opinion.

Had this for almost 6 months now. No one seems that concerned including GP, ophtamologist and neurologist.
Had this for almost 6 months now. No one seems that concerned including GP, ophtamologist and neurologist.

I had them and I'm now blind in my left eye.
Anyone?
just go to the docs..
Original post by choco_monsterxo
just go to the docs..

Not helpful--already mentioned that I've been to the ophthalmologist and received the all clear. Since then I have seen an optometrist who said the same.

I'm just looking for ways to deal with benign, apparently harmless eye floaters that are impacting upon the way I see and experience the world.
aftet being on the phone for too long and stop i can see a flash small blue light on the corner of mumy eye but it disapears after and im 20
Original post by holymoly97
aftet being on the phone for too long and stop i can see a flash small blue light on the corner of mumy eye but it disapears after and im 20

Not sure if that's a floater? Permanently in my vision (only seen in bright conditions e.g. white lights, sunlight) I see black mosquito-like dots, translucent worms/cobwebs and shadows--these float in and out of my vision as I move my head/eyes.
Not sure if that's a floater? Permanently in my vision (only seen in bright conditions e.g. white lights, sunlight) I see black mosquito-like dots, translucent worms/cobwebs and shadows--these float in and out of my vision as I move my head/eyes.

have that as well :/ only started recently and idk why :redface:
Original post by CoolCavy
have that as well :/ only started recently and idk why :redface:

How old are you and how did they come on? Did you vision initially go blurry or did they just appear? How bad would you say yours are and how are you coping?

I got mine after a bad aura migraine; the ophthamologist said this can happen, whereas the neurologist said a migraine wouldn't cause floaters, so I have no idea really. :/ It's really impacting upon my life and I don't know what to do.
How old are you and how did they come on? Did you vision initially go blurry or did they just appear? How bad would you say yours are and how are you coping?

I got mine after a bad aura migraine; the ophthamologist said this can happen, whereas the neurologist said a migraine wouldn't cause floaters, so I have no idea really. :/ It's really impacting upon my life and I don't know what to do.

am 19 and about 2 weeks ago, its only one eye but its like i have tiny flies in it is the only way i can describe it, moves with my eye and its more pronounced on white things as you say, is really annoying :redface: just came on randomly and waiting for them to go
that's awful :/ tbh is why i havent asked the doctor or anything yet as im not sure what could be done :/
Original post by CoolCavy
am 19 and about 2 weeks ago, its only one eye but its like i have tiny flies in it is the only way i can describe it, moves with my eye and its more pronounced on white things as you say, is really annoying :redface: just came on randomly and waiting for them to go
that's awful :/ tbh is why i havent asked the doctor or anything yet as im not sure what could be done :/

Hate to break it to you, but I don’t think they go :/ from what I’ve read/been told you eventually get used to them, but they always stick around. Having a hard time getting used to them personally.
Thanks--good to have the perspective of a neurologist.

Retinal detachment was obviously my immediate concern but two ophthalmologists and an optometrist told me my eye is healthy and blindness usually occurs after 3 days, so think I'm okay.

What's weird is I have had about 4 aura migraines in my life before July. In July I was sedated for a basic hospital procedure, after which I had a series of migraines with aura. The first were typical for me, aura with no headache, the 3rd caused me to have awful left eye pain.

Usually I go to sleep after an aura and wake up feeling okay, albeit a little hungover. After this last one I woke up feeling extremely photosensitive with pain in my left eye--felt like pressure and blurriness. This lasted for over a week accompanied by dizziness/vertigo often triggered by white lights or glare.

Finally this started becoming milder, I felt like I had something in my eye as I saw a few black lines. I went into a white room and saw black debris everywhere and against the blue sky/sea I saw this and translucent worms/cobwebs plus visual snow.

Had this for 6 months now and obviously very stressed about it. Eye pain comes and goes but when it's there I notice the floaters more/they stress me out more. The pain radiates around my eye, upper cheek and left side of nose. Not sure whether this is a combination of migraine + physical floaters, or caused by something else.

Had a couple more migraines since the 3/4 I had in July, both with no head pain. My aura has changed with this last one I had last week; usually I am blinded by it as the wavy lights take up all my vision. This time I had the classic lightning bolt line that caused me to have a blind spot. This last one was triggered by tiredness, the others by eating/being dehydrated. One thing I notice about my eye pain and light sensitivity is my consciousness feels similar to how it feels when I have a migraine; weird sounds but usually I feel like my consciousness i.e. the place where thoughts and sensory perception take place is more to the centre of my brain. Right now it feels like it's pushing to get out through my eyes. Sounds mad but best way of explaining the odd sensation.
Long shot here but I wondered how you are now? I have exactly what you have/had regards type of floaters and VS. Mine came on after a small chemical exposure to my eyes 3 months ago. I initially had some cornea damaged that healed in a couple of weeks and since then four eye doctors have assured me the chemical couldn’t cause floaters. I have however been diagnosed with Posterior Vitreous Detachment and VS. I’m struggling to believe the incident has nothing whatsoever to do with the floaters as they came on literally the next day. I also have migraines but not with visual aura. Hard to imagine I’ll ever ‘see through’ the amount of floaters I have.

Quick Reply

Latest