The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever ran away

i just want to know the story like where did u go and how did u find work. how is ur life now.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
i just want to know the story like where did u go and how did u find work. how is ur life now.

Firstly, running away is never a good first option as it's an easy way to avoid problems but you'll end up with different even harder problems plus it's not good for a healthy mind. :no:

Question, what are you considering running away from?:redface:

If you can give me that answer then I can advise further on what you can do to better your situation :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Kraggor
Firstly, running away is never a good first option as it's an easy way to avoid problems but you'll end up with different even harder problems plus it's not good for a healthy mind. :no:

Question, what are you considering running away from?:redface:

If you can give me that answer then I can advise further on what you can do to better your situation :h:

Im considering to run away from home. TBH my relationship with my parents is not great. I feel like im not wanted at home. Sometimes i feel useless and running away seems like a better option atm.
Reply 3
Im considering to run away from home. TBH my relationship with my parents is not great. I feel like im not wanted at home. Sometimes i feel useless and running away seems like a better option atm.

Hi. Sorry things are being difficult for you at the moment. Running away is a big deal and not something you want to jump into lightly, but sometimes leaving home can be the best thing to do. We can't decide for you if it's best to stay with your family or leave, but I can tell you that running away without support is not something you want to do. Life alone is hard enough as a proper adult, let alone as a young person.
There is support you can get though so if leaving home is something you are seriously considering or you just want some help with feeling more comfortable at home, get that support.

Do you mind if I ask how old you are? Or just if you are under 16 (I am assuming you are under 18).
You don't have to answer if you don't want to, it just changes things a little in terms of your options.

If you are 16+ you can leave home and you do not have to go back. I would suggest thinking it through very carefully first thouh and making sure you have somewhere to go (like family, friends or a service like YMCA).

If you are under 16 and you run away the police will look for you and will most likely take you back to your family when they find you.
If you do not feel happy or safe with your family then it would be better to talk to childline, school or the police about it. They can help you sort out what to do next, which might involve going to live somewhere else. That is much better than just running away because people will understand why you don't want to be wit your family, be able to work with you better and you will still be looked after.

What I would suggest you do for now (whatever your age) is contact a service like childline or the runaway helpline, talk to your school or go see the police. Have a talk with them about everything and work out what to do next from there.
If you ever want somebody to talk to you can call childline. They are there for you and to help you. They will only try to do or suggest what's best for you.
https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/home-families/family-relationships/homelessness-running-away/

You can also contact the Runaway Helpline via phone, text, email or online chat. Again, they are there to help you and try to work out the best option for you.
http://www.runawayhelpline.org.uk/contact-us/ (scroll to the bottom for contact details)

I hope that helps. Remember, no matter what you are going through you can talk to people like childline, the runaway helpline or the police about it.
Reply 4

In addition to Kindred's amazing advice, I'd thought I chuck in my personal experience with this:

It is always best if you can fix what is broken before replacing it. And I like this option alot as I too wanted to run away at home when I was in year 10-sixth form as it was a tough time for me as a person and what my future was.

So even though you don't have a good relationship with your parents (Don't worry I've been there badly and still not 100% fixed yet)
Would you be able to have a talk with them and tell them how you are feeling?

When I finally let go of all my bottled up thoughts to my parents my mum was very much understanding and didnt realise how much depression it was causing me and how useless it all made me feel.
From that day she changed how she was with me just to make sure I felt good with myself and that I was wanted at home. And even though my dad's short temper (over time adults get this from hard working lives) still can be awful overall I feel way more loved than ever before.

But, this may not be the case for you but I think sorting it out with your family would be the best option if possible.
But, if not you will need someone to support you through life as we all need support as life is hard alone.
Follow those links Kindred sent above and tell those people who are there for you

Make sure you talk it through with as many people first and set out your options. As acting quickly through your emotions (It's very common even I've done little things I regret) to doing something as big as running away can be scary once you realise the other problems you'll come across such as a place to stay, food, money, job , health etc

Hope this helps in anyway. Hope everything works out for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending