The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

This thread is awesome!

Is anyone else here a powerlifter?

I have been lifting a year, and properly powerlifting for a few months.

I tested all my maxes for Squat, Bench and Deadlift.

I got 155kg, 97.5kg and 200kg.

My short term goals are to get my Squat to 160kg, 100kg Paused Bench and 220kg Deadlift.

My long term goals are to get my squat to 180kg, 120kg paused bench, and a 240kg deadlift.

I know, my bench is my weakest lift out of the three... It's because I have ridiculously long arms meaning my ROM is really large ahaha.

So my numbers are looking okay for entering my first meet in the new year.

My current bodyweight is 82kg, and I am 6'2".

I also do freerunning/gymnastics :biggrin:
A quick one tonight. Wasn't feeling up to much.

Squats:

125 x 5/5

Light squats.

Incline dumbbell bench press:

30s x 10/10/10

Okay.

Lat pull downs:

79 x 10/6/2

What happened was I tried to do chins but that just wasn't happening, so did lat pull downs instead. First set went okay, but pecs fatigued, and couldn't really do much more - hence the rapid drop off.

Then home.
Original post by Matticus C
This thread is awesome!

Is anyone else here a powerlifter?

I have been lifting a year, and properly powerlifting for a few months.

I tested all my maxes for Squat, Bench and Deadlift.

I got 155kg, 97.5kg and 200kg.

My short term goals are to get my Squat to 160kg, 100kg Paused Bench and 220kg Deadlift.

My long term goals are to get my squat to 180kg, 120kg paused bench, and a 240kg deadlift.

I know, my bench is my weakest lift out of the three... It's because I have ridiculously long arms meaning my ROM is really large ahaha.

So my numbers are looking okay for entering my first meet in the new year.

My current bodyweight is 82kg, and I am 6'2".

I also do freerunning/gymnastics :biggrin:

Yeah, and at your age I am sure you will manage to increase your numbers quite quickly if you train hard and appropriately - and eat well too. And I can definitely agree about long arms and the bench - good luck.
Not a good session tonight. Wasn't feeling up to much (kinda low morale) and back feeling awkward again.

Squats:

165 x 5/1

First set really difficult, took a lot out of me, didn't have any more after the first rep of the second set.

Press:

76 x 1
60 x 5/5/5

76 too heavy tonight so did a bit of work with 60, which was okay.

Did some lacrosse ball work then home.
Actually had a decent session tonight. Back feeling the same.

Deadlifts:

185 x 5

Not too bad. My thumb was bleeding, though, which is unusual for me.

Barbell rows:

100 x 8/8/8

Not too bad again.

Seated dumbbell overhead press:

27.5s x 10/10/10

A bit harder.

Then home.
Tonight was really bad; just wasn't feeling it. Tried to squat, up to 125 for a couple of reps, but just wasn't feeling right. Was inside the rack, and it now seems that that puts me off. Couldn't get the form right and knee didn't like the form I was using. Then tried to chin but couldn't really; just never had much upper body strength.
Tonight was also a disaster. Tried to squat and bench. Both times the weight felt light enough, but when I was actually pushing, I felt a bit sick. My 150 warm up on the squat wasn't bad, but I only got 1 rep of 165 (which was also poor form). 80 on the bench was fast enough but couldn't really push for the aforementioned reason.
Tonight was also pretty bad.

Press:

76 x 4/4/2
60 x 5

Kinda disappointed. Equalling (I think) my PB of 76 x 5/5/5 was perhaps a little ambitious...

Deadlifts:

190 x 2/0

Really disappointed with this, especially after last week, and my last warm up (160) was also pretty easy. Like, I felt I couldn't get into a tight enough position and the weight just felt really heavy.

Going to have to think of a plan or something...

Then home.
Decent enough session tonight.

Squats:

160 x 5/5/5

Quite hard. Form a bit off sometimes, but certainly felt better than last time. Need to focus on sticking hips back at the bottom part of the squat.

Bench press:

95 x 5/5/5

Not too bad at all, really.

Then home.
Why don't you change your program a bit and try something a little different? Perhaps Full-body variations? Maybe Upper Lower Splits? It would at least make training much more enjoyable for you and give you some motivation to go for new gains...

I did the same program for a while also and my progress stalled hard...so I went back to the drawing board and decided to re-learn the basics of strength training + body building again and I was amazed at not only how much this has changed my workouts but also made them much more challenging and enjoyable. It changed my whole perception of lifting in general, I made the swap to full body workouts myself.

I'm not sure what your goals are but I assume its strength related in which case I would say don't be afraid to incorporate certain exercises as substitutes for main movements for a while. One of the things I found was that specificity of training is very key. If you want to improve your bench then you have to simply focus on benching (or doing supplemental variations of benching) and everything else like squatting then becomes secondary/not important for a while (don't go heavy at all with these to help with CNS recovery) and you'll be amazed at the progress you make just by making this little tweak.

For example when I was stuck at OHP and stalling at a certain weight, I then tried what everybody else usually does which is lowering the weight and working back up slowly but it didn't work. As soon as I stopped OHP pressing completely and started incorporating supplemental similar movements like landmine press/push press with tricep focused work for a little while....I then went back to OHP and beat my previous record by a significant amount. I went from struggling with 55kg for 1 with clean form to pressing 65kg for 4 with absolute clean form. Just reinforcing the point about specificity of training here!

Just a few tips to get you thinking! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Decent enough session tonight.

Pause deadlifts:

150 x 5

Lighter than last time so I could do them correctly, and also as I had DOMS from squatting yesterday. Felt okay.

Barbell rows:

100 x 8/8/8

Decent enough.

30s x 5/5/4

Okay, I think the last time I did these the bench must have not been set to the maximum upright position allowable, as this felt a bit more upright than last time. Weight felt quite heavy. Benched yesterday so feeling a bit fatigued, too. Overall this was a bit meh.

Then home.
Original post by trapking
Why don't you change your program a bit and try something a little different? Perhaps Full-body variations? Maybe Upper Lower Splits? It would at least make training much more enjoyable for you and give you some motivation to go for new gains...

I did the same program for a while also and my progress stalled hard...so I went back to the drawing board and decided to re-learn the basics of strength training + body building again and I was amazed at not only how much this has changed my workouts but also made them much more challenging and enjoyable. It changed my whole perception of lifting in general, I made the swap to full body workouts myself.

I'm not sure what your goals are but I assume its strength related in which case I would say don't be afraid to incorporate certain exercises as substitutes for main movements for a while. One of the things I found was that specificity of training is very key. If you want to improve your bench then you have to simply focus on benching (or doing supplemental variations of benching) and everything else like squatting then becomes secondary/not important for a while (don't go heavy at all with these to help with CNS recovery) and you'll be amazed at the progress you make just by making this little tweak.

For example when I was stuck at OHP and stalling at a certain weight, I then tried what everybody else usually does which is lowering the weight and working back up slowly but it didn't work. As soon as I stopped OHP pressing completely and started incorporating supplemental similar movements like landmine press/push press with tricep focused work for a little while....I then went back to OHP and beat my previous record by a significant amount. I went from struggling with 55kg for 1 with clean form to pressing 65kg for 4 with absolute clean form. Just reinforcing the point about specificity of training here!

Just a few tips to get you thinking! :smile:

I think what I need to focus on is consistency. I know from previous experience that switching out exercises doesn't work for me, and that to make gains I need to be consistent, have enough volume and increase my bodyweight. I have been doing none of these recently, so hence why my training has been hit and miss recently. Hopefully I can get back to being consistent, using a decent training volume and get back to where I was.
Original post by Smack
I think what I need to focus on is consistency. I know from previous experience that switching out exercises doesn't work for me, and that to make gains I need to be consistent, have enough volume and increase my bodyweight. I have been doing none of these recently, so hence why my training has been hit and miss recently. Hopefully I can get back to being consistent, using a decent training volume and get back to where I was.

What is your bodyweight?
Original post by Gone Revising II
What is your bodyweight?

About 102ish. Used to be 105ish.
Decent session tonight.

Paused squats:

145 x 5/5/5

Not too bad.

Press:

70 x 6/6/6/6

Not too bad either.

Then home.
Decent session this afternoon.

Deadlifts:

190 x 5
170 x 3/3

190 was very hard. Also thumb was bleeding on one hand and callous almost torn off on other hand, so wasn't wanting to do much other barbell stuff. Gym closing early too.

Lat pull downs:

89 x 6/6/6

Did these rather than chins because they're not bad on my hands.

Then home.
Fair play holding on through tearing your hands up
Decent session this evening.

Squats:

162.5 x 5/5/5

Not too bad. Second a third sets felt a little better as I think my torso angle was more optimal and kept it more constant too (I think) throughout the squat.

Bench press:

97.5 x 5/5/5

Not too bad.

Then home.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Fair play holding on through tearing your hands up

I only really noticed it after the deadlifts. Just meant that rather than doing chins, which are quite hard on my hands and grip, I did some lat pull downs instead.
Okay session this afternoon. Not in long.

Paused deadlifts:

155 x 5/5

Felt quite hard.

Then tried to do some rows but hips were just saying no, so moved onto:

27.5s x 7/8/6

Again quite hard, but did bench yesterday.

Then home.

Quick Reply

Latest