The Student Room Group

Medicine?

I am new to studyroom ive read many questions and forums before joining.Ive recently decided i want to apply for medicibe after my grandma died of cancer.However my gcse grades and A level options(biology,english lang and lit,sociology)are not great or standard for medicine.
Sorry wasnt clear but is there any way i can still enter medicine ive heard that there are some foundation year courses.Also i cant take chem until next yr and the courses are now linear which means three years in college😥
(edited 6 years ago)
Have a look at Cardiff and Manchester. I think they have foundation courses targeted at non-science (aka no chemistry) applicants. There could be more, just off the top of my head.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Blazingphoenix
Have a look at Cardiff and Manchester. I think they have foundation courses targeted at non-science (aka no chemistry) applicants. There could be more, just off the top of my head.

Alright thanks i will also if take chemistry exams nxt yr will they not count without a practical assesment.
Original post by Shaun murphy
Alright thanks i will also if take chemistry exams nxt yr will they not count without a practical assesment.

The point of the courses I recommended is so you don't have to deal with the nightmare that is "Alevels over 3 years".

But otherwise I have no idea, seeing as they have changed Alevels since I sat them. You would have to check with individual medical schools, but I suspect they will want to see passes in any science practical components.
Original post by Volibear
Yeah have a look at the foundation courses and see if you meet the criteria.

Most medical schools want A-levels to be taken over two years.

I have looked at some and meet some of the criteria.
Original post by Blazingphoenix
The point of the courses I recommended is so you don't have to deal with the nightmare that is "Alevels over 3 years".

But otherwise I have no idea, seeing as they have changed Alevels since I sat them. You would have to check with individual medical schools, but I suspect they will want to see passes in any science practical components.

True but foundation years are quite competitive, also do med schools value ukcat over gcse's does a high ukcat or bmat and good predicted grades change gcse requirements n(A*).
Original post by Shaun murphy
True but foundation years are quite competitive, also do med schools value ukcat over gcse's does a high ukcat or bmat and good predicted grades change gcse requirements n(A*).

Any medical course is competitive. If anything, doing that third year would make it worse because it reduces the number of options.

Different medical schools like different thing. For example Bristol likes PS, Newcastle likes UKCAT and Liverpool likes GCSEs. This may have changed since I applied. You would be best off looking this up yourself.
Reply 8
Foundation or graduate entry are your options. I wouldn’t recommend graduate entry as its very very competitive (much more than school leavers)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending