The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DeBruyne18
Why does being wealthy mean you can't be left wing? Especially when his money has come through being an MP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, that's not true, he inherited his wealth (don't forget those pensions he got for his "work" in the union).

And you've utterly missed the point of the post, didn't you?

Corbyn was asked the question "Are you middleclass and wealthy?", he is both, yet he failed to answer the question correctly.

I would thought that would be the easiest question in the world.
Why does being wealthy mean you can't be left wing?

You have got to remember that in the early 20th century:

Labour was a semi-populist party that owed more to Methodism than Marx which was run by the blue collar workers for the blue collar workers. Most were religious.

Marxism was an ideology for comfortable well off intellectual types such as professors at Oxford university who had never done a single day's worth of menial work in their life. Most were atheists.
Original post by Karl_Redak
Actually, that's not true, he inherited his wealth (don't forget those pensions he got for his "work" in the union).

And you've utterly missed the point of the post, didn't you?

Corbyn was asked the question "Are you middleclass and wealthy?", he is both, yet he failed to answer the question correctly.

I would thought that would be the easiest question in the world.

Why shouldn't he be paid for union work?

What's your point anyway?
Why shouldn't he be paid for union work?

What's your point anyway?

Well, let's recap. You said he made his wealth from being an MP, not true, he inherited and also income from his pensions. Not saying that he should have that wealth, just pointing out YOU ARE WRONG.

Then I pointed out that if you are asked a very easy question (like asking a wealthy middleclass person if they are wealthy and middleclass) and they fail to answer that question correctly, you might not trust that person.

It's not very difficult, is it?
Well, let's recap. You said he made his wealth from being an MP, not true, he inherited and also income from his pensions. Not saying that he should have that wealth, just pointing out YOU ARE WRONG.

Then I pointed out that if you are asked a very easy question (like asking a wealthy middleclass person if they are wealthy and middleclass) and they fail to answer that question correctly, you might not trust that person.

It's not very difficult, is it?

A large amount of his wealth is from being an MP
So not all of it. Which is what you said. Also, you'd a agree that asked the question "Are you wealthy and middleclass?" Corbyn SHOULD have said "Well, of course I am, next question".

Why doesn't Corbyn want to admit to what he is?
So not all of it. Which is what you said. Also, you'd a agree that asked the question "Are you wealthy and middleclass?" Corbyn SHOULD have said "Well, of course I am, next question".

Why doesn't Corbyn want to admit to what he is?

I don't see what relevance his wealth has...

Where did he deny he was middle class?
I don't see what relevance his wealth has...

Where did he deny he was middle class?

Why have you only just asked that?

It was in a interview with Peston.

Just because you can't see the relevance of something doesn't mean it's not relevant, just that you fail to understand why it's relevant.
Why have you only just asked that?

It was in a interview with Peston.

Just because you can't see the relevance of something doesn't mean it's not relevant, just that you fail to understand why it's relevant.

Why is it relevant?
Why is what relevant.
Why is what relevant.

If he would have said 'yes I'm wealthy', you could be sure the Mail, Sun, Telegraph and Tory party would have had a field day for weeks.

Headline after headline would have been about how he was a hypocrite for being left wing and not living in a cardboard box.

A bit like how the Mail said he was worth 3 million, yet the way they calculated this figure was totalling all his annual earnings past and future over several decades, including pension, without deducting tax paid.
If he would have said 'yes I'm wealthy', you could be sure the Mail, Sun, Telegraph and Tory party would have had a field day for weeks.

Headline after headline would have been about how he was a hypocrite for being left wing and not living in a cardboard box.

A bit like how the Mail said he was worth 3 million, yet the way they calculated this figure was totalling all his annual earnings past and future over several decades, including pension, without deducting tax paid.

Now you're trying to use the "Ah the Mail sed sumfink".

Was Corbyn asked if he was middle class? Yes. Did he incorrectly answer the question? Yes. If you don't see the relevance of that, it's not my problem.
Now you're trying to use the "Ah the Mail sed sumfink".

Was Corbyn asked if he was middle class? Yes. Did he incorrectly answer the question? Yes. If you don't see the relevance of that, it's not my problem.

Again, you can be sure the press will have a field day and attack someone were they to self proclaim as middle class.

Class isn't even a distinguished concept like it used to be.
Again, you can be sure the press will have a field day and attack someone were they to self proclaim as middle class.

Class isn't even a distinguished concept like it used to be.

Cop out. No, "the press" have a field day when numpties like Corbyn constantly show themselves to be hypocrites. Which Corbyn has done.

Still think you're getting your student debt paid off?
Cop out. No, "the press" have a field day when numpties like Corbyn constantly show themselves to be hypocrites. Which Corbyn has done.

Still think you're getting your student debt paid off?

How is it hypocritical? Again you seem to push this narrative that being left wing and having money makes you a hypocrite.

No I don't want my fees to be paid off by the taxpayer. I'm the one who is benefiting from them and will earn a good wage from having gone to university. I do not support free higher education.

Do you even have a link to what Corbyn supposedly said?
(edited 6 years ago)
Not a chance. Blair's Red Tory "Labour" is dead, thank Christ, and a centrist Labour party is not what we need. What's needed for democracy to function is choice, not two virtually interchangeable, squeaky-clean centre right dullards as we had ten years ago.
How is it hypocritical? Again you seem to push this narrative that being left wing and having money makes you a hypocrite.

No I don't want my fees to be paid off by the taxpayer. I'm the one who is benefiting from them and will earn a good wage from having gone to university. I do not support free higher education.

But Corbyn did not correct the lie two Labour MPs stated that student debt would be cancelled. He went through the election campaign letting people think that would happened.

He claims that he wants to build bridges not walls, yet refused to share a platform with Cameron during the Referendum. Hypocrite (of course the fact that he wants a hard brexit, let's forget that.)
But Corbyn did not correct the lie two Labour MPs stated that student debt would be cancelled. He went through the election campaign letting people think that would happened.

He claims that he wants to build bridges not walls, yet refused to share a platform with Cameron during the Referendum. Hypocrite (of course the fact that he wants a hard brexit, let's forget that.)

Oh I think Corbyn will scrap student debt if he gets into office. I don't agree with it and I don't think the taxpayer should pay for uni students but I think once in office he will scrap tuition fees and stick them on the tax bill.

It's the one area I really disagree with him on. My own opinion is that he should have instead proposed to get rid of interest on the loans and bring back maintenance grants.

As for the Cameron point. Well Labour suffered badly in Scotland for being too chummy with the Tories. It wouldn't have been a good look. Also he was never that pro EU in the first place.
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh I think Corbyn will scrap student debt if he gets into office. I don't agree with it and I don't think the taxpayer should pay for uni students but I think once in office he will scrap tuition fees and stick them on the tax bill.

It's the one area I really disagree with him on. My own opinion is that he should have instead proposed to get rid of interest on the loans and bring back maintenance grants.

As for the Cameron point. Well Labour suffered badly in Scotland for being too chummy with the Tories. It wouldn't have been a good look.

So, you believe Corbyn will do something he has already said wasn't in the manifesto?

Secondly, "It wouldn't be a good look"? He's not too fussed about inviting terrorist organisations into W'minster. So, he's a hypocrite, again.

Ever heard of logic and reasoning?
So, you believe Corbyn will do something he has already said wasn't in the manifesto?

Secondly, "It wouldn't be a good look"? He's not too fussed about inviting terrorist organisations into W'minster. So, he's a hypocrite, again.

Ever heard of logic and reasoning?

Scrapping tuition fees was in the manifesto. It will be done, as much as I disagree.

Your second point is getting into the tedious 'he loves terrorists' smears which I'm not going to get dragged in to.

The Labour party had suffered badly in Scotland for campaigning with the Tories. The leave camp was making great headway with their anti establishment message and therfore having both main party leaders on stage being chummy and campaigning together would hardly have helped the remain side. He should have campaigned harder for sure, but he was right not to share a stage with Cameron.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending