The Student Room Group

pharmacy for dentistry

hi, i previously wanted to do a degree in dentistry, however my GCSE results were good but not good enough for dentistry. i was wondering if it would be advisable to get a Mpharm degree then do a graduate entry level degree in dentistry.
what advice can you give me? thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by revengeofjdwag
hi, i previously wanted to do a degree in dentistry, however my GCSE results were good but not good enough for dentistry. i was wondering if it would be advisable to get a Mpharm degree then do a graduate entry level degree in dentistry.
what advice can you give me? thank you

Rather than four years doing pharmacy, i think it d be better to do a three year degree in a biomedical degree .
if i choose not to do dentistry, what careers could i follow with a biomedical degree?
Original post by claireestelle
Rather than four years doing pharmacy, i think it d be better to do a three year degree in a biomedical degree .

if i choose not to do dentistry, what careers options could i follow with a biomedical degree?
if i choose not to do dentistry, what careers options could i follow with a biomedical degree?

Healthcare scientist, and various lab jobs, you might have to do something post graduate for some options.
Healthcare scientist, and various lab jobs, you might have to do something post graduate for some options.

thank you for the response!, would you have any other advise?
thank you for the response!, would you have any other advise?

what were your gcses, theres not many of them about but perhaps a foundation year into dentistry could be an option instead of graduate dentistry if you haven't already considered that?
what were your gcses, theres not many of them about but perhaps a foundation year into dentistry could be an option instead of graduate dentistry if you haven't already considered that?

i received:

English literature: 8
English language: 7
Maths: A
Biology: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
History: A
ICT: A
R.E: B
French: C

but i dont want to waste a year if i dont receive any offers.
i received:

If you ll meet the a level requirements, then why not try to apply for dentistry, your gcses aren't too bad for dentistry?
If you ll meet the a level requirements, then why not try to apply for dentistry, your gcses aren't too bad for dentistry?

most people would applying for dentistry have at least 5 A*, and isn't the foundation year into dentistry only for people who did not take appropriate a levels ( i biology and chemistry )
i received:

Your GCSEs are absolutely fine for dentistry; a lot of places don't care about the difference between an A and an A* at GCSE. What is more worrying is that you clearly haven't bothered to look at any entry requirements on university websites, which would tell you this and other information.
Original post by Glassapple
Your GCSEs are absolutely fine for dentistry; a lot of places don't care about the difference between an A and an A* at GCSE. What is more worrying is that you clearly haven't bothered to look at any entry requirements on university websites, which would tell you this and other information.

i know that i meet the entry requirements,its just that dentistry is incredibly competitive and what im worried about is that, my results are lower than the results of an average applicant - so id be at a disadvantage
Reply 12
I think your GCSEs aren't too bad. Work hard for A levels and do some work experience so your application will look good. You should even take a gap year and apply with your A levels.
Original post by Wing:)
I think your GCSEs aren't too bad. Work hard for A levels and do some work experience so your application will look good. You should even take a gap year and apply with your A levels.

interesting, thanks for the input!
You have decent GCSEs that will meet the minimum entry requirements. Just apply strategically and make sure you get predicted 3As and do smash the UKCAT/BMAT and you’ll get an interview. Don’t give up on dentistry and waste 3 years of your life. Anyways biomed can be your fifth choice as you can only apply to 4 dental schools. And finally graduate entry is way more competitive.
Good luck
Original post by hraaami
You have decent GCSEs that will meet the minimum entry requirements. Just apply strategically and make sure you get predicted 3As and do smash the UKCAT/BMAT and you’ll get an interview. Don’t give up on dentistry and waste 3 years of your life. Anyways biomed can be your fifth choice as you can only apply to 4 dental schools. And finally graduate entry is way more competitive.
Good luck

thats really great, i didnt know about that 4 dental schools thing! could you elaborate on what you mean by applying strategically?
There are plenty dental students currently studying that I know achieved similar grades to yourself. Don't let it dishearten you. Do you research on the undergraduate dental universities and what their minimum GCSE requirements. A lot with either stress on top 8 gcses, english/maths and potentially biology/chemistry grades. However, many weigh GCSE's with hardly any regard in the application process as there are much more important weightings such as interview, personal statement, alevels and UKCAT/BMAT. Take it from me, Going in to do a degree with the hopes of doing graduate dentistry isn't helping yourself(most likely parents) financially and your own commitment to the undergraduate degree.
Original post by Finestinlondon
There are plenty dental students currently studying that I know achieved similar grades to yourself. Don't let it dishearten you. Do you research on the undergraduate dental universities and what their minimum GCSE requirements. A lot with either stress on top 8 gcses, english/maths and potentially biology/chemistry grades. However, many weigh GCSE's with hardly any regard in the application process as there are much more important weightings such as interview, personal statement, alevels and UKCAT/BMAT. Take it from me, Going in to do a degree with the hopes of doing graduate dentistry isn't helping yourself(most likely parents) financially and your own commitment to the undergraduate degree.

thank you for the advise! which dental schools did your contacts apply to out of interest, and what did they do to improve their personal statements?
thats really great, i didnt know about that 4 dental schools thing! could you elaborate on what you mean by applying strategically?

Apply to your strengths whether that’s ukcat or bmat or personal statement. Don’t apply to GCSE heavy ones
Original post by hraaami
Apply to your strengths whether that’s ukcat or bmat or personal statement. Don’t apply to GCSE heavy ones

sound, cheers for that

Quick Reply

Latest