The Student Room Group

A level maths C3 advice - Integration

I'm struggling with Integration (AQA). I need a help sheet with all the rules, i've looked at the ones I need to learn. However, when there are 4-7 markers on integration by parts or substitution questions, I really struggle to answer them.
Could somebody please give me some advice or a very good document which helps me to understand and be able to tackle the long marked integration questions?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Hi. Have you watched examsolution videos? He does videos/worked solutions where he answers full exam papers which include long integration questions.

https://www.examsolutions.net/exampapers/aqa-p3-june-2012/

For example question 6 in the link above.
Reply 2
Original post by Kira Yagami
Hi. Have you watched examsolution videos? He does videos where he answers full exam papers which include long integration questions.

https://www.examsolutions.net/exampapers/aqa-p3-june-2012/

For example question 6 in the link above.

Hi Kira,

Yes I had a look at their questions. I was unable to do those sorts of q's which is what has worried me. I understand it from viewing his videos. But, i'm struggling to do the questions on my own - as I'm lacking the basics I think.

I can do the questions in the textbook, but the integration questions on exam papers are too difficult for me at the moment. :s-smilie:

xx
Original post by MKaur18
Hi Kira,

Yes I had a look at their questions. I was unable to do those sorts of q's which is what has worried me. I understand it from viewing his videos. But, i'm struggling to do the questions on my own - as I'm lacking the basics I think.

I can do the questions in the textbook, but the integration questions on exam papers are too difficult for me at the moment. :s-smilie:

xx

Hmm, ok, it is a tricky topic. Can you give me an example of some questions which you find difficult? Also is it integration in general that you find difficult or is it a particular method like integration by parts?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Hmm, ok, it is a trick topic. Can you give me an example of some questions which you find difficult? Also is it integration in general that you find difficult or is it a particular method like integration by parts?

Substitution and by parts I struggle with a lot. For example, Q6 on link you provided. I could only get about 2 marks out of 6. I struggle to know what to do when you have to integration like a huge fraction such as that.

On exam solutions, all of the question by topic for substitution and by parts, I struggled with getting half marks.
try looking through this document for examples- it has a flow chart for integration at the end as well

PS. I have attached the link to the website as the file is pretty big to upload. Download the Maths revision and class notes and skip through the pdf to C3 :smile:

If you have any problems ask me :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by MKaur18
Substitution and by parts I struggle with a lot. For example, Q6 on link you provided. I could only get about 2 marks out of 6. I struggle to know what to do when you have to integration like a huge fraction such as that.

On exam solutions, all of the question by topic for substitution and by parts, I struggled with getting half marks.

for parts they pretty much all follow the same method,
1. Differentiate the substitution
2. change du-dx in the integral using the derivative from step 1 (this usually simplifies the integral at C3 level)
3. use the substitution - i.e sub it into the integral
4. integrate using standard methods
Original post by MKaur18

It doesn't seem like you struggle with integration but just manipulating fractions. Could you specifically tell me what confused you with the solution?
Reply 8
Original post by forever.studies
try looking through this document for examples- it has a flow chart for integration at the end as well

PS. I have attached the link to the website as the file is pretty big to upload. Download the Maths revision and class notes and skip through the pdf to C3 :smile:

If you have any problems ask me :smile:

Hi, I can't view the document. Could you PM it to me please?
Reply 9
It doesn't seem like you struggle with integration but just manipulating fractions. Could you specifically tell me what confused you with the solution?

I struggled to know where to go to get to the answer, as in my answer wasn't fully simplified. I was just stuck on where to go next, as it just looked wrong and my simplifying was so over complicated.
Reply 10
Original post by bruh2132
for parts they pretty much all follow the same method,
1. Differentiate the substitution
2. change du-dx in the integral using the derivative from step 1 (this usually simplifies the integral at C3 level)
3. use the substitution - i.e sub it into the integral
4. integrate using standard methods

That's really helpful and simplified :smile:
Thanks
Original post by MKaur18
I struggled to know where to go to get to the answer, as in my answer wasn't fully simplified. I was just stuck on where to go next, as it just looked wrong and my simplifying was so over complicated.

The idea is, that when you apply the substitution, you want to get the equation in a form where you can integrate it using regular methods you used in C2.

For example if you look at line 3, it looks difficult to integrate so in line 4 you separate the fraction into two different fractions, then simply further (don't have to but it will make things easier) and then you can see you get it into a form where you can easily integrate it ( in line 5).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
I’m struggling to get it into the form they wanted it in.
3633221F-80DC-4325-ABC6-6A444BE1E793.jpg.jpeg
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by MKaur18

Can you please post the question and the answer that you are unable to reach?
Original post by MKaur18

Write your substitution values and remember cos pi = -1 and sin pi = 0
Reply 15
Original post by Muttley79
Write your substitution values and remember cos pi = -1 and sin pi = 0

I did, then on another page i tried rearranging but i couldn’t get it in the form they needed.

Pi( pi^2 divided by 8 -1/2)
Reply 16
Original post by Notnek
Can you please post the question and the answer that you are unable to reach?

Yes
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MPC3-W-MS-JUN14.PDF

6b.

I don’t know what I may have done wrong. I think i’ve messed up by fractions when simplifying after this (the page isn’t attached).
(edited 6 years ago)
It’s only December time, you’ll gradually get it as weeks go by. Don’t beat yourself up about it :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Mightlobster
It’s only December time, you’ll gradually get it as weeks go by. Don’t beat yourself up about it :smile:

We are no where near finishing the spec soon, i’m just worried if i’m struggling with integration.. what the rest of the year brings 🙅🏽*♂️😔
Original post by MKaur18

Your integration is wrong. Where you ticked it, the last term is wrong. Check the mark scheme.

Quick Reply

Latest