The Student Room Group

GYGs : Average student aiming for much more!

Hey guys, welcome to my thread, I have aspirations and here I'll be sharing my journey. Follow if you share my subjects and let's discuss tips, I'm not super-smart and haven't been the best reviser, this thread might be motivating in getting stuff done!
Original post by adamantacademic
Hey guys, welcome to my thread, I have aspirations and here I'll be sharing my journey. Follow if you share my subjects and let's discuss tips, I'm not super-smart and haven't been the best reviser, this thread might be motivating in getting stuff done!

I have moved this to the grow your grades section.

Hey :hello:
What subjects do you study?
Original post by Lemur14
Hey :hello:
What subjects do you study?

Sorry I haven't really been active on this!

Spoiler

Sorry I haven't really been active on this!

Spoiler

You only posted it yesterday, there's nothing to be sorry about!
Ooh nice. A similar combo to what I took for GCSEs. Although too many languages for my liking :lol: I'm rubbish at them, so you doing two immediately makes me wow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Ooh nice. A similar combo to what I took for GCSEs. Although too many languages for my liking :lol: I'm rubbish at them, so you doing two immediately makes me wow!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thanks!
What subjects in particular do we share?
Original post by Lemur14

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow I just checked your profile, '9' in Maths!!
I'm currently on the Edexcel board, and stuck on a 6.
If you don't mind please could you detail how we went about revision, preparation etc. also were you always generally smart, or did your results come as a shock?
Haha thanks!
What subjects in particular do we share?

Obviously maths, English, science. But also French, computing and while I did electronics, there's a fair bit of resistant materials overlap (enough so that the school got away with the resistant materials teacher teaching us for a while anyway :colondollar:)
Wow I just checked your profile, '9' in Maths!!
I'm currently on the Edexcel board, and stuck on a 6.
If you don't mind please could you detail how we went about revision, preparation etc. also were you always generally smart, or did your results come as a shock?

Yeah I did Edexcel as well :smile:
Tbh my maths result wasn't a particular shock, although some of the others were (namely English lit, but others were slightly oh I wasn't expecting that, yay).
I'm really not the best example to go from tbh as I'm really a crammer so I did tonnes the night before each exam and not terribly much before that... Not something I recommend!
For subjects like the sciences, I watched a lot of videos which would summarise each topic and would make flashcards on them as I went. A lot of people find it really valuable to go through the revision guide making notes, but that wasn't particularly my style. Doing practice exam questions is also really helpful, especially as the sciences have a lot of "application of knowledge" questions which you have to know how to answer and you only get better with practice!
For maths, again it was just question after question after question. We finished the spec ridiculously early in November so the remainder of the time was almost all exam questions constantly (plus we stayed at lunch for extra maths as our teacher was amazing, so that was 5+ hours a week for all that time) It really helped improve my speed and also work out where I was commonly going wrong with questions, plus improve my problem solving and resilience skills which are really important for the new spec.
For English literature you have to know your texts really well, but you don't have to know loads and loads of quotes (you need a fair number, but nothing like the number some learn!) A really important aspect is to plan your essay before you write it, as it allows you to keep a cohesive argument throughout. Then you need to know what needs to be in each paragraph and make sure you do include it in every paragraph (one important thing people often miss out is how it affects the reader/audience).Also, don't keep to a single structure (eg. PEAL) as that's not what gets you the highest marks. Instead you should include all the vital things in an order which flows for that particular paragraph. Again, practice is the best way to help with this, and also increases your speed which is very important in the literature exams.
English language is all about exam technique. You need to be able to quickly pick out the techniques they want and analyse them clearly to form a cohesive argument. You can ask your teacher for some sample sources and practice first just picking out the techniques and later writing responses.
Sorry that turned into a bit of an essay! Let me know if you want any more info :smile:

I think in terms of smartness, I do have some natural talents (picking up maths really quickly for instance), but hard work also played a large part and nothing is impossible!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending