The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Confusion 2018

I got accepted into Durham to do psychology in 2018, totally mind blown.

I really don’t understand all these ‘colleges’ when I applied, I chose St John Snow as it seemed the best fit for me, however does it matter which college you’re in for your subject? For example, Northumbria does psychology on their west campus and the accommodation I chose was close to that campus rather than their others ones. I can’t seem to find anything online to explain all of this for me and I’m way too stressed!

Can anyone help?
Original post by beccakatiemullen

I really don’t understand all these ‘colleges’ when I applied, I chose St John Snow as it seemed the best fit for me, however does it matter which college you’re in for your subject? For example, Northumbria does psychology on their west campus and the accommodation I chose was close to that campus rather than their others ones. I can’t seem to find anything online to explain all of this for me and I’m way too stressed!

Can anyone help?

Have you been allocated John Snow as your college yet? Or does your college allocation still say pending?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Why did you apply to John Snow when Psychology is taught in Durham City- it's a 20 minute drive by bus
Original post by LeapingLucy
Have you been allocated John Snow as your college yet? Or does your college allocation still say pending?

No, I’ve just been accepted to do psychology, still waiting on allocation :smile:
Original post by bigwang
Why did you apply to John Snow when Psychology is taught in Durham City- it's a 20 minute drive by bus

That’s my problem, I do not understand where everything is!! It’s all new to me and I didn’t expect to get a place at Durham at all! Now I’m confused with where psychology takes place and why there are so many colleges and which one to choose
Reply 5
That’s my problem, I do not understand where everything is!! It’s all new to me and I didn’t expect to get a place at Durham at all! Now I’m confused with where psychology takes place and why there are so many colleges and which one to choose

On the website it says Durham City, I think you picked the only college you shouldn't have applied to :biggrin:
Original post by bigwang
On the website it says Durham City, I think you picked the only college you shouldn't have applied to :biggrin:

Original post by bigwang

It doesn’t say anywhere on the website where each course is taught? And if it does, it’s not clear in the slightest :smile:)))

Can anyone help?
The college is simply where you live, there's nothing about courses or academia related to colleges because they are quite separate and they like to have students from every single subject at each college. It's not like Oxford or Cambridge where you apply to a college, you apply to the university, you can put a college preference, but you are allocated a college by them.:yes:
No, I’ve just been accepted to do psychology, still waiting on allocation :smile:
Ring up Durham and explain you'd like to change college preference if you don't want to be living in John Snow.
It doesn’t say anywhere on the website where each course is taught? And if it does, it’s not clear in the slightest :smile:)))
It should say "Durham City" campus, as opposed to Stockton campus, or something like that.
Well done on your offer!
The colleges can be confusing. They are about your accommodation and “home base” while at the uni though, not the teaching location. I’m sure you’re not the first applicant to have picked a Stockton college by accident when the teaching is in Durham City. You are better asking to change your college to a Durham City one, within walking distance of the Psychology Dept.

Psych will be taught mainly in the dept on the main Durham City site (map below). I would call the dept to confirm teaching is here (I’m assuming it is - it won’t be in Stockton).

https://www.dur.ac.uk/map/ss3d/

Below is a map of the Durham City college locations. You will see they are spread across Durham. Most are in easy walking distance of Psychology. Some are slightly further (Hild Bede for example).

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/live/colleges/ourcolleges/preference/map/

You’ve picked a college already, but here are some pointers just in case. University College aka Castle is probably most popular cos it’s a castle, so you have less chance of getting allocated here. Ustinov is for post grads only I think, so avoid. General info for colleges is here

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/choosing/locations/

Individual details are here.
https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/live/colleges/ourcolleges/

Choose one that meets your needs and has a reasonable location. Then call admissions to explain that you wish to change your choice.
Hope this helps.
Original post by Mancmike300
Well done on your offer!
The colleges can be confusing. They are about your accommodation and “home base” while at the uni though, not the teaching location. I’m sure you’re not the first applicant to have picked a Stockton college by accident when the teaching is in Durham City. You are better asking to change your college to a Durham City one, within walking distance of the Psychology Dept.

Psych will be taught mainly in the dept on the main Durham City site (map below). I would call the dept to confirm teaching is here (I’m assuming it is - it won’t be in Stockton).

https://www.dur.ac.uk/map/ss3d/

Below is a map of the Durham City college locations. You will see they are spread across Durham. Most are in easy walking distance of Psychology. Some are slightly further (Hild Bede for example).

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/live/colleges/ourcolleges/preference/map/

You’ve picked a college already, but here are some pointers just in case. University College aka Castle is probably most popular cos it’s a castle, so you have less chance of getting allocated here. Ustinov is for post grads only I think, so avoid. General info for colleges is here

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/choosing/locations/

Individual details are here.
https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/live/colleges/ourcolleges/

Choose one that meets your needs and has a reasonable location. Then call admissions to explain that you wish to change your choice.
Hope this helps.

Thank you very much!!!

Can anyone help?

Is it too late to change? If not, then consider other options so that you wont be massively far away from your lecture site.
Original post by LeapingLucy

It’s still pending, so I can change it??
It’s still pending, so I can change it??

I've got no idea, I didn't apply to Durham. But if you're really concerned about your college choice you could try emailing the admissions tutor and asking if it's possible to change.
All courses will be taught in Durham city from 2018.

There is every chance it will be taught at the Durham city new campus as I believe all courses that were taught on the Stockton Queens campus will be on the new Durham campus.
heyy, I applied for Psychology at durham too!! Just wondering what are your predicted grades?? I haven't heard back yet, I'm sooooo nervous.... :frown: I applied for open college (any college), the college thing confused me too haha
I’m actually doing a BTEC and predicted D*D*D* but only need to get DDM, I applied in September and didn’t hear back for 3-4 months so don’t worry!! I wasn’t expecting to get a place at all, but I need to change my college preference I think haha!! Good luck!!
I’m actually doing a BTEC and predicted D*D*D* but only need to get DDM, I applied in September and didn’t hear back for 3-4 months so don’t worry!! I wasn’t expecting to get a place at all, but I need to change my college preference I think haha!! Good luck!!

Thank you!! Congrats on your offer, all the colleges look lovely haha good luck to you too!
I'm applying for psychology next months to Durham. Can you let me know how your first year went and which college you ended up going to?
Original post by awakealways
I'm applying for psychology next months to Durham. Can you let me know how your first year went and which college you ended up going to?

Hi, sorry only just seen this! I chose Northumbria, and I love it here. I didn’t think Durham was for me!

Quick Reply

Latest