The Student Room Group

What are the best story based video games?

I absolutely love video games but I'm also relatively new to gaming beyond basic computer/DS and I've been focusing on exams a lot and I havent been able to find too much to play
What are some games you think are crucial to gamers interested in stories? Any console exclusives are fine, and older games and multiplayers are too. I just find it hard to actually look for games beyond a certain point. I hardly know where to start.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the last of us- ps4, tales from the abyss n3ds, xenoblade chronicles n3ds, fire emblem fates, bravely default, bravely first, the latest final fantasy on ps4
Original post by rainbowdragon
I absolutely love video games but I'm also relatively new to gaming beyond basic computer/DS and I've been focusing on exams a lot and I havent been able to find too much to play
What are some games you think are crucial to gamers interested in stories? Any console exclusives are fine, and older games and multiplayers are too. I just find it hard to actually look for games beyond a certain point. I hardly know where to start.

Metal Gear Solid Series - PlayStation
Chrono Trigger - NDS
Tales of series: Tales of Symphonia, Vesperia, Abyss - GC, Xbox, 3DS
Zelda series: Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, Windwaker, Twighlight princess - GC, Wii
Xenoblade Chronicles - 3DS
Persona 5 - PlayStation
Final Fantasy 6+7
The Last of Us
Bioshock Infinite

To the Moon - you'll love this one :smile: get it now while there's a 60% off discount!

The Uncharted series definitely has a good storyline if you are into Indiana Jones and the whole adventure genre.

Dragon Age Inquisition and Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is good if you like fantasy.

The Batman Arkham series is great too, especially if you have read any Batman comics.

Life is Strange and The Last of Us are good if you want a emotional/drama story.

Until Dawn and Alien:Isolation are good horror storylines to play.

I'd also recommend Final Fantasy XV for its good storyline. It has a whole American road trip vibe to it.
As already mentioned above, the last of us has a great story. Uncharted also has a great story.
Persona 5 has a great story (no bias) 😀
Lots of episodic games are decent on the story front and between the lot of them they can cater to most tastes. Walking dead is very good (don't know about Michonne, not played that one yet); The Wolf Among us is also very good and a little bit lighter; Life is Strange is also very good, although a little too much teen angst, the original also touches on some important topics, the prequel (which was concluded today) suffers from some pacing problems and is really cringey at points but is also fairly good and the final decision had me debating for a good 10 minutes.I believe they're all available on console but the specs for PC are hardly high, they're also nicely cut up into little chunks generally 90-150 minutes depending on how much you explore the scenes.

Firewatch is also pretty good I hear but I haven't gotten round to playing it much myself, even though it is quite short.
(edited 6 years ago)
Mass Effect Trilogy
The Telltale Games (The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, etc.)
Witcher III: The Wild Hunt
Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Wolfenstein: The New Order & The New Collosus
The Last of Us
You should also check out the Fire Emblem series :smile:
Terranigma for SNES has the best story. A great continuity in story telling, almost perfect. The most of Zelda series games are good in storylines, that is what those games stand for.
The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Trilogy (PS2)

Area 51 (PS2)
World of Warcraft

It is so rich with lore and its the best MMORPG (or even RPG) out there.
Uncharted, the last of us, GTA V, Witcher 3 and Pokemon
Original post by Gwilym101
Mass Effect Trilogy
The Last of Us

...Assassin’s Creed?
Reply 15
Original post by Jammy Duel
Lots of episodic games are decent on the story front and between the lot of them they can cater to most tastes. Walking dead is very good (don't know about Michonne, not played that one yet); The Wolf Among us is also very good and a little bit lighter; Life is Strange is also very good, although a little too much teen angst, the original also touches on some important topics, the prequel (which was concluded today) suffers from some pacing problems and is really cringey at points but is also fairly good and the final decision had me debating for a good 10 minutes.I believe they're all available on console but the specs for PC are hardly high, they're also nicely cut up into little chunks generally 90-150 minutes depending on how much you explore the scenes.

Firewatch is also pretty good I hear but I haven't gotten round to playing it much myself, even though it is quite short.

Firewatch is amazing.
infamous idec (maybe it’s because it’s the only story based game I’ve ever played lmao)
used to be a big fan of dynasty warriors
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
...Assassin’s Creed?

Maybe the first three, 1 had the interesting idea (in video games atleast) that the "good" and "bad" organisations were both fighting for peace and it was their methodology that differed.
2 and brotherhood had a complete arc of a young rebel aging and learning to become a legendary leader even if it lost some of the interesting ideas by making the Templars just straight up evil.
After that though, the story started to really suffer, the Assassins became less relatable and more proto-anarchists, the Templars became more relatable but way less interesting (with Haytham being a bright exception), the whole modern day stuff has ground to a halt and the series put too much focus on stuff coming in from outside the games.
Original post by Gwilym101
Mass Effect Trilogy
The Last of Us

I highlight recommend TellTale's Game of Thrones - obvious warning for swearing and the usual for Game of Thrones.

I also suggest Life is Strange, and its sequel Before the Storm.

Quick Reply

Latest