The Student Room Group

Will my grade go down

I got a D in my chemistry exam when I took triple science higher, but I want to get a B. But if I do managed to get a B will the D pull it down?
Original post by Sophie_jjk
I got a D in my chemistry exam when I took triple science higher, but I want to get a B. But if I do managed to get a B will the D pull it down?

I'm not quite sure what you mean?
As in, if you get Bs in physics and biology will the D in chemistry pull it down? If this is your question then the answer is yes it will, however depending on "how strong" the Bs and Ds the overall grade could end up as anything between a B and a C if I'm remembering how triple science is calculated properly.
If that's not your question, please could you clarify :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Lemur14
As in, if you get Bs in physics and biology will the D in chemistry pull it down? If this is your question then the answer is yes it will, however depending on "how strong" the Bs and Ds the overall grade could end up as anything between a B and a C if I'm remembering how triple science is calculated properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I’m just wondering if my D unit 1 of chemistry will pull the B down in unit 2 of chemistry, because it all the units count as one at the end. Thanks for your reply though.

I'm a bit confused. Do you want to get a B in your Chemistry or some other subject?
Original post by Lemur14

Posted from TSR Mobile

In triple science each of the sciences are examined separately. You get an independent grade from each. So no the chemistry grade will not pull the others down.

If the OP did double, then yes, you would be right.
Reply 5
Original post by iTzYoBoY
I'm a bit confused. Do you want to get a B in your Chemistry or some other subject?

Yeah I do in chemistry
Reply 6
Original post by 12ksmith
In triple science each of the sciences are examined separately. You get an independent grade from each. So no the chemistry grade will not pull the others down.

Okay thank you so much
I’m just wondering if my D unit 1 of chemistry will pull the B down in unit 2 of chemistry, because it all the units count as one at the end. Thanks for your reply though.

It's just occurred to me you're talking about the new spec, :sorry:
It's much more difficult to predict for this, but the likely outcome is you would come out with a C overall.

There's actually 2 ways of calculating your grade in triple science. The first is that you take all the sciences separately as you're saying and the second is taking all the unit 1s to form one grade, all the unit 2s to form another etc.
So in fact my answer would be right if you just replace the chemistry with unit 1 then biology and physics with unit 2 and unit 3. Now I've thought about it, I think the OP is talking about new spec though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Lemur14
It's just occurred to me you're talking about the new spec, :sorry:
It's much more difficult to predict for this, but the likely outcome is you would come out with a C overall.

There's actually 2 ways of calculating your grade in triple science. The first is that you take all the sciences separately as you're saying and the second is taking all the unit 1s to form one grade, all the unit 2s to form another etc.
So in fact my answer would be right if you just replace the chemistry with unit 1 then biology and physics with unit 2 and unit 3. Now I've thought about it, I think the OP is talking about new spec though

Posted from TSR Mobile

It’s okay, but thank you for your help
It’s okay, but thank you for your help

You're welcome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Lemur14;75199404"]There's actually 2 ways of calculating your grade in triple science. The first is that you take all the sciences separately as you're saying and the second is taking all the unit 1s to form one grade, all the unit 2s to form another etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/
Original post by Lemur14

Posted from TSR Mobile

The OP is clearly talking about the old spec. If they were talking about the new spec, the grades would be given in numbers (9-1) not letters (A* to U)
[QUOTE="12ksmith;75201800"]
Original post by Lemur14

Posted from TSR Mobile[/

The OP is clearly talking about the old spec. If they were talking about the new spec, the grades would be given in numbers (9-1) not letters (A* to U)

I’m doing the new spec in WJEC it’s just that I’m Wales so we don’t count the grades as 9-1
I’m doing the new spec in WJEC it’s just that I’m Wales so we don’t count the grades as 9-1

Oh. I’m not sure what the other guy is on about. If you do triple you will get 3 separate grades. So don’t worry about the biology or physics.
Oh. I’m not sure what the other guy is on about. If you do triple you will get 3 separate grades. So don’t worry about the biology or physics.

Alright thank you so much
Thank you to everyone who replied to this thread, thanks for helping me 😅😊

Quick Reply

Latest