The Student Room Group

Does first year's grade affect someones overall performance after four years?

Hi, I really want to finish with a first class in my LAW degree.I've just completed my year one of study and we are on break waiting to commence the second year(in 5 months time).Despite working hard my performance was below what i had expected and it this has made me so dissappointed to the extent i feel like giving up from pursuing my ambition...I therefore wanted to know whether that year one grade has completely knocked me off from the 1st class bracket in that no matter how best i perform in the following years it will be impossible to get an overall fisrt class....More so I really depend on my degree to help get a scholarship for postgrdte study.....I wil really appreciate someones advice....(am frm Kenya)
Original post by Cliff Olch
Hi, I really want to finish with a first class in my LAW degree.I've just completed my year one of study and we are on break waiting to commence the second year(in 5 months time).Despite working hard my performance was below what i had expected and it this has made me so dissappointed to the extent i feel like giving up from pursuing my ambition...I therefore wanted to know whether that year one grade has completely knocked me off from the 1st class bracket in that no matter how best i perform in the following years it will be impossible to get an overall fisrt class....More so I really depend on my degree to help get a scholarship for postgrdte study.....I wil really appreciate someones advice....(am frm Kenya)

Look in your unis website or ask your department.
They will provide you with information on how the degree class is graded.
First year marks tend not to count at all or are a very low % of the total mark.
Nobody here can tell you as theres not enough detail.
Reply 2
Thanks
Reply 3
Thanks.there are such website in my uni...But still i find the discussions in this room very relevant ....and they are more serious and really helpfull.
Reply 4
Sadly, bad marks still appear on your transcript even if they do not count. However, saying that it will not harm your final degree classification.
Reply 5
Original post by NHM
Sadly, bad marks still appear on your transcript even if they do not count. However, saying that it will not harm your final degree classification.

Thanks
You can get a scholarship without even a first in your overall degree classification.
First year tends not to count towards your final grade, or in some cases counts very little. However, if you’re looking to do a placement year then employers will look at your first year grades so it could affect your chances of getting a decent placement.
Reply 8
thanks
Year one grades do not usually count towards your final degree classification. It is simply a 'qualifying' year i.e. you need to pass your first year modules to progress into the next year. You say that you are 'disappointed' with your performance but don't give any indication as to what your marks are. If you are getting marks in the 2:2 range then you could possibly graduate with a first, but, it is unlikely. You will have to work extremely hard and have the academic ability in order to improve from a 2:2 to get to a first class standard. Realistically very few students are able to improve that much over the next 2 years (although it is not impossible). If the majority of your marks are in the 2:1 category then a first class degree is achievable. All students want to graduate with a first class degree. However, the cold truth is that 90% will not. Work as hard as you can to achieve your highest standard so that when you leave you know that you gave it your best shot. If your marks suggest that you are not going to get a degree classification that you hoped for look at other ways of making your CV distinctive. Get some relevant work experience. If your Law School enters mooting competitions put yourself forward. Get involved with your Law School's student law society. Apologies if this advice seems harsh and is not what you want to hear but, having worked in a law school for over 20 years, one of the most difficult aspects of my job is counselling students who set their sights on a first class or 2:1 degree but who have no chance of achieving it. The bottom line is that students achieve the classification their academic ability allows. One of the biggest shocks to students when they go to law school is that they move from being towards the top end of their class academically at school or college to being 'average'. Remember that most of the students in your year will have obtained similar grades to you in order to get a place on your law course. You need to work HARD and be realistic about your expectations. It isn't worth giving up your place unless you have failed a significant number of your modules you were expecting to pass.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Lawschoolhack
Year one grades do not usually count towards your final degree classification. It is simply a 'qualifying' year i.e. you need to pass your first year modules to progress into the next year. You say that you are 'disappointed' with your performance but don't give any indication as to what your marks are. If you are getting marks in the 2:2 range then you could possibly graduate with a first, but, it is unlikely. You will have to work extremely hard and have the academic ability in order to improve from a 2:2 to get to a first class standard. Realistically very few students are able to improve that much over the next 2 years (although it is not impossible). If the majority of your marks are in the 2:1 category then a first class degree is achievable. All students want to graduate with a first class degree. However, the cold truth is that 90% will not. Work as hard as you can to achieve your highest standard so that when you leave you know that you gave it your best shot. If your marks suggest that you are not going to get a degree classification that you hoped for look at other ways of making your CV distinctive. Get some relevant work experience. If your Law School enters mooting competitions put yourself forwards. Get involved with your Law School's student law society. Apologies if this advice seems harsh and is not what you want to hear but, having worked in a law school for over 20 years, one of the most difficult aspects of my job is counselling students who set their sights on a first class or 2:1 degree but who have no chance of achieving it. The bottom line is that students achieve the classification their academic ability allows. One of the biggest shocks to students when they go to law school is that they move from being towards the top end of their class academically at school or college to being 'average'. Remember that most of the students in your year will have obtained similar grades to you in order to get a place on your law course. You need to work HARD and be realistic about your expectations. It isn't worth giving up your place unless you have failed a significant number of your modules you were expecting to pass.

Thank you.That was not being harsh at all but very helpfull.You said something about ' my next 2 years ' but in our uni the time spent doing a course is 4years.So its actually 'my next 3years' .I got a 2.2
Original post by Cliff Olch
Thank you.That was not being harsh at all but very helpfull.You said something about ' my next 2 years ' but in our uni the time spent doing a course is 4years.So its actually 'my next 3years' .I got a 2.2

A 2:2 in year one demonstrates that you have ability. Don't give up your studies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending