The Student Room Group

Study Tips

Most effective ways of studying to achieve highest grades possible? Any tips?
Reply 1
Hi Yaminix! I'm in year 11, so I too like to experiment with what revision techniques are, so to speak, best. :biggrin:

To answer your question, no single method of studying is inherently the best method. People's brains work differently, so different people respond to different forms of teaching and revision techniques in different ways. My advice would be to try multiple methods and see which works best for you personally. What works well for me might not work as well for you, and vice versa.

One thing I would say, though, is not too bother too much about presentation. Far too often, I see people making absolutely beautiful revision notes, and while they look great, they have wasted so much time on presenting their notes rather than actually revising!! So, just remember, they're revision notes for personal use, not GCSE art exam coursework pieces :wink: Let me know how your experimentation goes!

PS: you might find that your revision technique for one subject differs hugely for that of another subject. All subjects are fundamentally different, so don't be surprised by this :smile:
Best of luck.
Reply 2
I just finished year 11 and i'm now in year 12, here are my tips; Maintain good sleeping pattern, stay hydrated, don't wear tight close ( makes you stressed), plan your revision, take 10 minute breaks every so often, eat healthy, impliment revision with sport or your favourite activity, ASK YOUR TEACHER FOR HELP, stay behind after school if you're unclear, MAKE NOTES and compare with others, listen to soothing music if you have to, USE GCSEPOD and talk to friends.
GOOD LUCK.
P.S smile and stay happy, it helps alot.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mikos
Hi Yaminix! I'm in year 11, so I too like to experiment with what revision techniques are, so to speak, best. :biggrin:

To answer your question, no single method of studying is inherently the best method. People's brains work differently, so different people respond to different forms of teaching and revision techniques in different ways. My advice would be to try multiple methods and see which works best for you personally. What works well for me might not work as well for you, and vice versa.

One thing I would say, though, is not too bother too much about presentation. Far too often, I see people making absolutely beautiful revision notes, and while they look great, they have wasted so much time on presenting their notes rather than actually revising!! So, just remember, they're revision notes for personal use, not GCSE art exam coursework pieces :wink: Let me know how your experimentation goes!

PS: you might find that your revision technique for one subject differs hugely for that of another subject. All subjects are fundamentally different, so don't be surprised by this :smile:
Best of luck.

Thank you so much for this, I’m in year 11 too and I recently got my mock grades and I did so much revision for all these exams but I wasn’t satisfied with the results. I know these are are mocks but my predicted grades will be based on these results.

I’m feeling frustrated as the revision I did does not come out accurately with my grades. Hopefully with your fantastic advice about experimenting with techniques helps.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and best of luck in your GCSEs :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by aade_6
I just finished year 11 and i'm now in year 12, here are my tips; Maintain good sleeping pattern, stay hydrated, don't wear tight close ( makes you stressed), plan your revision, take 10 minute breaks every so often, eat healthy, impliment revision with sport or your favourite activity, ASK YOUR TEACHER FOR HELP, stay behind after school if you're unclear, MAKE NOTES and compare with others, listen to soothing music if you have to, USE GCSEPOD and talk to friends.
GOOD LUCK.
P.S smile and stay happy, it helps alot.

Thank you so much for sending this - will check out GCSEPOD as you said above and thank you for the reminder to stay happy and smile, you sometimes get buried in all the revision you forget to be happy.

Hope your year 12 goes well! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by yaminix
Thank you so much for this, I’m in year 11 too and I recently got my mock grades and I did so much revision for all these exams but I wasn’t satisfied with the results. I know these are are mocks but my predicted grades will be based on these results.

I’m feeling frustrated as the revision I did does not come out accurately with my grades. Hopefully with your fantastic advice about experimenting with techniques helps.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and best of luck in your GCSEs :smile:

I too got mock results that were less than satisfactory, so I definitely relate to the frustration you feel, however, I've now decided to take it as constructive feedback and work harder than ever! :biggrin:

Remember, though, it's just a mock :smile: if your grades this time weren't to your liking, just remember that you have months to improve, during which time you can boost your grades up a whole lot! The fact that you sought out help alone shows that you're motivated to build up your results, which is a really good sign :wink:

Best of luck with your GCSEs, too! Out of interest, which subjects do you take? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Mikos
I too got mock results that were less than satisfactory, so I definitely relate to the frustration you feel, however, I've now decided to take it as constructive feedback and work harder than ever! :biggrin:

Remember, though, it's just a mock :smile: if your grades this time weren't to your liking, just remember that you have months to improve, during which time you can boost your grades up a whole lot! The fact that you sought out help alone shows that you're motivated to build up your results, which is a really good sign :wink:

Best of luck with your GCSEs, too! Out of interest, which subjects do you take? :smile:

Exactly that’s what I’m telling myself! I can always do better and there’s ALWAYS room for improvement. I really do want to do well and am very motivated to do so!

I am taking Triple Science (separate sciences), Geography, German and Music. What do you take? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by yaminix
Exactly that’s what I’m telling myself! I can always do better and there’s ALWAYS room for improvement. I really do want to do well and am very motivated to do so!

I am taking Triple Science (separate sciences), Geography, German and Music. What do you take? :smile:

I take triple, German, history and CS! Which exam boards are you using for triple and German? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Mikos
I take triple, German, history and CS! Which exam boards are you using for triple and German? :smile:

Aqa for both what about you? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Mikos

Oh I forgot to add Commercial Art (photography and photoshop) whoops :smile:)
Past papers
Reply 11
Original post by kithu1999
Past papers

Thank you I’ve been doing these :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by yaminix
Aqa for both what about you? :smile:

I'm also on AQA for both :smile: I like AQA because, being the most popular exam board, there are a lot of resources out there for the AQA spec, so there's quite a lot to revise with, which is particularly important with a new spec! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Mikos
I'm also on AQA for both :smile: I like AQA because, being the most popular exam board, there are a lot of resources out there for the AQA spec, so there's quite a lot to revise with, which is particularly important with a new spec! :biggrin:

We are very lucky in that sense, and with a new spec and lots of resources, it’s amazing! :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest