The Student Room Group

CPS deciding (forever) on whether to prosecute despite 400+ victim coming forward!

I refer to allegations of abuse at the Kirklevington Grange Detention Centre during the 60/70/80s. More than 400 ex inmates have now given Cleveland police victim statements alleging various forms of brutality by Home Office employees I.e Prison Officers who in doing so neglected the right of these children to be given safe guarding or the care that they lawfully were entitled to. My question is HOW THJE HELL CAN THE CPS DRAG ITS FEET FOR NEARLY THREE MONTHS + DESPITE THJE OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE GATHERED? A man can hit another and be prosecuted without any time delays so with the current surviving prison officers still alive and released pending outcome of CPS standing at just 2 I am again unable to understand then time scale on making their decision?
Original post by Tommytony
I refer to allegations of abuse at the Kirklevington Grange Detention Centre during the 60/70/80s. More than 400 ex inmates have now given Cleveland police victim statements alleging various forms of brutality by Home Office employees I.e Prison Officers who in doing so neglected the right of these children to be given safe guarding or the care that they lawfully were entitled to. My question is HOW THJE HELL CAN THE CPS DRAG ITS FEET FOR NEARLY THREE MONTHS + DESPITE THJE OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE GATHERED? A man can hit another and be prosecuted without any time delays so with the current surviving prison officers still alive and released pending outcome of CPS standing at just 2 I am again unable to understand then time scale on making their decision?

If there are 400 allegations, then that means 400 case files. they have to review all the evidence and decide how to proceed. It is the same as any other case. If its only three months then you should be patient. it normally takes longer. Why dont you ring them up and ask or offer to do some of the prosecutions yourself?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
If there are 400 allegations, then that means 400 case files. they have to review all the evidence and decide how to proceed. It is the same as any other case. If its only three months then you should be patient. it normally takes longer. Why dont you ring them up and ask or offer to do some of the prosecutions yourself?

May be a tad difficult as I am one of the 400
May be a tad difficult as I am one of the 400

3 months isnt long. CPS is under resourced and under a lot of pressure. the law moves slowly. you should be thinking years and not months. You have no idea whether they are dragging their feet or not. Your solicitor should give you a better insight on how long it might take.

As tigger says, historical sex abuse crimes are incredibly time-consuming to process and complex to prosecute. I am sure you would much rather have a conviction, after all the necessary information has been slowly and methodically dealt with; rather than a prosecution which fails because it was done too hastily.

That said, we are happy to hazard a guess as to the cause of the delays, your discontent with CPS's handling of the prosecution is not best dealt with here. You should, if you still feel they are not advancing the prosecution in sufficient time, direct it to CPS's complaints team.
Reply 5
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
As tigger says, historical sex abuse crimes are incredibly time-consuming to process and complex to prosecute. I am sure you would much rather have a conviction, after all the necessary information has been slowly and methodically dealt with; rather than a prosecution which fails because it was done too hastily.

That said, we are happy to hazard a guess as to the cause of the delays, your discontent with CPS's handling of the prosecution is not best dealt with here. You should, if you still feel they are not advancing the prosecution in sufficient time, direct it to CPS's complaints team.

I'm sure the wheels of justice will make it's decision when they are ready but my question was more a result of my inexperiences of this side of the legal system. If I could put a slight angle to this then! Whaty would happen if a potential defendant died during this case examination?
I'm sure the wheels of justice will make it's decision when they are ready but my question was more a result of my inexperiences of this side of the legal system. If I could put a slight angle to this then! Whaty would happen if a potential defendant died during this case examination?

They would not be prosecuted. If there were an inquiry, which most likely there will be, their guilt could be expressly referred to in the report.
Reply 7
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
They would not be prosecuted. If there were an inquiry, which most likely there will be, their guilt could be expressly referred to in the report.

Just my humble opinion but any ministerial department under scrutiny is given ample lengths of time for I'll health or mental health to pop its convenient head up should death not occur firsy
Disgusting scum still 3 horrible scum who's faces an name's never forget 37 years later says it all
Reply 9
Cleveland police visited me in the Summer to take statements. A few of the offenders are now deceased and will never face justice and the ones still alive will die before it comes to court.

Latest

Trending

Trending