The Student Room Group

what do you associate iranians/persians with?

just curious.

Scroll to see replies

medes
good food:colondollar:
Reply 4
Humans
Reply 5
Iran.
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
What you are clearly trying to evoke here is 'oooooo terrorists'.

Grow up.

"clearly" ok mind reader.
I wouldn't want to hear bad things about my own ethnicity, I'm doing it for fun obviously.
Reply 7
Original post by Guru Jason

huh? I don't get it.
Being from Iran.
Nice eyes.
Original post by sarah99630
"clearly" ok mind reader.
I wouldn't want to hear bad things about my own ethnicity, I'm doing it for fun obviously.

I apologise if I have misread your post.

I am also of mixed heritage - and I get really fed up with the immature racist trolling on TSR.
Particularly all the 'do xxxx boys go out with xxxx girls' threads - and other stuff that is designed to whip up stereotyping.
Prince of Persia
Nice food!!
Persians are close neigbours
I lived for a few years in a town (Weimar, Germany) which had a university that was really popular with Iranian international students, so have made long-lasting friendships with quite a few Iranians. Whilst of course everyone's personality is different, my general impressions have been:

- totally up for partying, dancing, getting drunk and smoking weed
- I have yet to meet an Iranian who was a practising Muslim, none of the girls I know wear hijabs
- have a really cool sense of style, kind of hippie-ish
- tend hang out together but still really inclusive of non-Iranians and not overly cliquey
- most of the people I know either study engineering or a musical instrument

I realise most of the people I know are probably from a relatively affluent and internationally-minded section of the Iranian population but still, maybe this is a little different from what a lot of people would expect!
tend not to be practicing muslims

are embarrassed to be called asian?? "IM iRANiaN" even tho they look asian, and, well, are asian.

tbh this is probably all stereotypical and im sure most arebt like this.
(edited 6 years ago)
Enormous chips on shoulders over just about everything. Claiming to be the best at business whilst just running a crap carpet shop.

Bit like the Italians when it comes to empire - pretend they're descended from the greatest people on earth, when really, modern Iranians are so far removed from the Persian empire as to be ridiculous. Can't decide if modern Iran is the best or worst place in the world.

Girls go from being relatively normal at 18-25, to going all out nutty at 26 and turning into their mothers/aunts and getting absolutely enormous hoop earrings, the biggest hair and reddest lipstick possible and a handbag that whilst outrageously expensive, looks more at home in the 1990s.

Boys just get fat and try to prematurely hang around with older, fat men and talk about politics whilst smoking heavily and acting as though they personally know various figures in the Middle East. "That's not how Assad thinks nowadays"
Original post by returnmigrant
I apologise if I have misread your post.

I am also of mixed heritage - and I get really fed up with the immature racist trolling on TSR.
Particularly all the 'do xxxx boys go out with xxxx girls' threads - and other stuff that is designed to whip up stereotyping.

No worries. Oh yes you're right. True point actually, haha next time I'll think twice before starting a thread
Original post by GazVille
tend not to be practicing muslims

are embarrassed to be called asian?? "IM iRANiaN" even tho they look asian, and, well, are asian.

tbh this is probably all stereotypical and im sure most arebt like this.

hahahah well I wouldn't say they're embarrassed or anything but they tend to make it clear they're iranian regardless. As if it's a continent on its own lol. In my family no one speaks iranian (my parents know but never taught us) so you wouldn't really know unless u can tell from the facial features. We are practising muslims as well.
Original post by ScarlettDangerfield
I lived for a few years in a town (Weimar, Germany) which had a university that was really popular with Iranian international students, so have made long-lasting friendships with quite a few Iranians. Whilst of course everyone's personality is different, my general impressions have been:

- totally up for partying, dancing, getting drunk and smoking weed
- I have yet to meet an Iranian who was a practising Muslim, none of the girls I know wear hijabs
- have a really cool sense of style, kind of hippie-ish
- tend hang out together but still really inclusive of non-Iranians and not overly cliquey
- most of the people I know either study engineering or a musical instrument

I realise most of the people I know are probably from a relatively affluent and internationally-minded section of the Iranian population but still, maybe this is a little different from what a lot of people would expect!

aha, interesting haha.Well idk about the majority but my whole family wears hijab and are practising. I guess I'd have to go to iran to see.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending