The Student Room Group

Mature Medical Students 2017

Hi guys

I have got a place to study medicine at Bristol in September 2017, just having look at accommodation etc, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm going in as a 25 year old mature student, happy to live with a mix of people, however ideally not sharing a kitchen/bathroom with huge numbers of people and def not catered.

Have looked through the website and am thinking: The Courtrooms, New Bridewell and Waverley House.

Any thoughts would be great!
Original post by student101901
Hi guys

I have got a place to study medicine at Bristol in September 2017, just having look at accommodation etc, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm going in as a 25 year old mature student, happy to live with a mix of people, however ideally not sharing a kitchen/bathroom with huge numbers of people and def not catered.

Have looked through the website and am thinking: The Courtrooms, New Bridewell and Waverley House.

hey I'm 25 too, got an unconditional offer that I have firmed already. I quite like the look of Wills Hall and Churchill Hall. At least I'm not the only 25 year old starting...lol
Hey guys I'm staring medicine at Bristol uni in September too :smile: I'm 23 though. Are you going to any of the mature student talks?
Oh, you are my people guys! Haha how is it in there?! Currently, I am 23 and on an Access Course, hoping to get in. Did any of you use this way? Or are you all postgrad? Thanks
Original post by Szandihun
Oh, you are my people guys! Haha how is it in there?! Currently, I am 23 and on an Access Course, hoping to get in. Did any of you use this way? Or are you all postgrad? Thanks

Hey how are you getting on with the access course? Hoping to start next september. How many GCSE's do mature students need? I'm currently doing 5 (didnt do it when i was younger)
Original post by student101901
Hi guys

I'm taking an Access course in Medicine as well. Hoping to apply for 2019 entry. I have emailed Bristol about entry requirements, it says they accept access courses (medicine or science based) with 30 credits at distinction and 15 at merit. They also require you to have been out of education for 5 years. Are you postgrad btw?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sniper21
I'm taking an Access course in Medicine as well. Hoping to apply for 2019 entry. I have emailed Bristol about entry requirements, it says they accept access courses (medicine or science based) with 30 credits at distinction and 15 at merit. They also require you to have been out of education for 5 years. Are you postgrad btw?

Are you starting an access course this September? What other universities have you contacted if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by LordFifth
Are you starting an access course this September? What other universities have you contacted if you dont mind me asking?

I started in September this year. I've contacted UEA, Manchester, Southampton and Edinburgh, and I've had a few positive responses already. They said that they'd be willing to consider me if I achieved distinctions in all my Biology and Chemistry modules. Edinburgh, however also require to have BBB at A level to be eligible for the MBChB course. So its probably better to double check with admissions to see if they would consider you. You also need to make sure you meet their GCSE requirements. Hope this helps.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sniper21
I started in September this year. I've contacted UEA, Manchester, Southampton and Edinburgh, and I've had a few positive responses already. They said that they'd be willing to consider me if I achieved distinctions in all my Biology and Chemistry modules. Edinburgh, however also require to have BBB at A level to be eligible for the MBChB course. So its probably better to double check with the admissions team if they'd consider you. Hope this helps

Thanks for the info! Is there a reason why you arent applying for 2018 entry instead of 2019? Also how are you finding the course so far? I'm kinda undecided wheather to just do 2 yrs of A levels instead of an Access course...
Thanks for the info! Is there a reason why you arent applying for 2018 entry instead of 2019? Also how are you finding the course so far? I'm kinda undecided wheather to just do 2 yrs of A levels instead of an Access course...

Planning to take a gap year, hence why I'm applying for 2019 entry. I'm also working part-time while doing the access course. I was also thinking of doing A levels but chose not to as its 2 years as opposed to 1 for access. Its only been 3 months (since I enrolled) but so far so good. The tutors are helpful and want you to get a place. I would definitely recommend it!
(edited 6 years ago)
I find that my access is less likely accepted than a-levels would have been. But then you would have to do reaaaally well and sort of compete with people with like 10gcses and a load of astars... dilemma. My access course is not amazing, could be much better, if i went again i wouldnt choose one where the regulating body is CAVA. Even though ofsted was very good for this course. Good luck!
Hey how are you getting on with the access course? Hoping to start next september. How many GCSE's do mature students need? I'm currently doing 5 (didnt do it when i was younger)

Hey, I inly did 3. But double or triple or additional science, now i can see would have been advantageous. I didnt have it in my town though so i couldnt do it. I dont have any offers either yet. :|

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending