The Student Room Group

Alternate routes into medicine

Hi,I am currently applying for my a-levels to go into college. After that I was thinking of doing a medicine degree. however, I am not to keen on doing my al-levels. Are there any other ways in which I can get into medicine without doing my a-levels.
Basically, no.

Medicine (as in, becoming a physician/surgeon) is necessarily an academic endeavour. You will be constantly examined throughout your medical degree, and beyond - if you aren't able to cope with the teaching/exam format of A-levels, the lecture/exam format (and subsequently it seems, cramming for exams while ostensibly in full time work) of medicine is likely to make it an unrealistic goal. You realistically need to be able to do three A-levels, including two science A-levels (typically chemistry and biology, although the former is pretty universal even if the latter is more variable) to demonstrate a basic ability to cope with a full academic workload.

Of course, this isn't to say you can't work in the medical field without pursuing such a purely academic path - there are many allied health professions, basically all of which are actively trying to recruit, which have various pathways (degrees, HNDs, apprenticeships, so on and so forth) to go into. You may want to look through the NHS careers site and see what roles are available, and what suits your interests. While many of these do entail degree study or similar, the nature of the courses is more practically oriented to the job you'll be ultimately performing, and there is less emphasis on the formal scientific underpinnings (which is critical to a medical degree on the other hand).
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Basically, no.

Medicine (as in, becoming a physician/surgeon) is necessarily an academic endeavour. You will be constantly examined throughout your medical degree, and beyond - if you aren't able to cope with the teaching/exam format of A-levels, the lecture/exam format (and subsequently it seems, cramming for exams while ostensibly in full time work) of medicine is likely to make it an unrealistic goal. You realistically need to be able to do three A-levels, including two science A-levels (typically chemistry and biology, although the former is pretty universal even if the latter is more variable) to demonstrate a basic ability to cope with a full academic workload.

Of course, this isn't to say you can't work in the medical field without pursuing such a purely academic path - there are many allied health professions, basically all of which are actively trying to recruit, which have various pathways (degrees, HNDs, apprenticeships, so on and so forth) to go into. You may want to look through the NHS careers site and see what roles are available, and what suits your interests. While many of these do entail degree study or similar, the nature of the courses is more practically oriented to the job you'll be ultimately performing, and there is less emphasis on the formal scientific underpinnings (which is critical to a medical degree on the other hand).

What a-levls except biology and chemistry am I able to do
There is a big section of TSR about Applying to Medicine : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Read it all - carefully.

Other jobs in the NHS via apprenticeships etc : https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/study-and-training/apprenticeships-traineeships-and-cadet-schemes
Original post by Moshah75

Chemistry is basically necessary - there are I think one or two that accept Biology, usually with AS Chemistry, but this severely limits your options. Biology is the usual complement, as it's directly relevant to the course and some do require it (either both as full A-level, or A-level Chem with at least AS Bio).

After that, any "academic" subject would suffice - some courses prefer or require 3 science/maths subjects (such as Cambridge, and I imagine Oxford) while others are less concerned about this. For reference on what "academic subjects" are, you may want to refer to LSE's "preferred subjects" list under the "subject combinations" heading here.

While obviously they don't offer medicine, in general anything in their preferred list would be acceptable with perhaps the exception of Computing and English Language. Also any language which you're a native speaker of would not suffice (for example, if you're bilingual Spanish/English, A-level Spanish would normally not be "counted" - but another language like French would). Some other subjects may be acceptable for some - the most common counterexamples being Fine Art (distinct from Art & Design, which tends to be less well received), Music, and sometimes Drama. I would strongly suggest you contact the universities you are interested in applying to in order to check these would be acceptable if you are considering taking one of these however. Additionally they are (especially in the case of Art) generally more "work" than another subject, comparatively.

The most important thing for the third subject is to choose whatever you are best at in order to maximise your grades. Of course, you don't necessarily need to take Biology as your second science - people have and continue to successfully apply with e.g. Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths and similar combinations. However, generally if you're not taking Biology it would be advisable to take 3 science subjects including Maths.
Hi,I am currently applying for my a-levels to go into college. After that I was thinking of doing a medicine degree. however, I am not to keen on doing my al-levels. Are there any other ways in which I can get into medicine without doing my a-levels.

Why don't you want to do A-levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to have chem and maths. Most places also want bio.
Yeah. It’s not me that asked the question, but thanks for the response. All the places I’ve looked at want Maths (but clearly this is not the case for all - as I have now been informed) :smile:
Original post by 12ksmith
Yeah. It’s not me that asked the question, but thanks for the response. All the places I’ve looked at want Maths (but clearly this is not the case for all - as I have now been informed) :smile:

where have you looked at ?? There's no uni that 'wants maths' other than cambridge ?
Original post by niamh787
where have you looked at ?? There's no uni that 'wants maths' other than cambridge ?

I said ‘want’ not ‘require’. You’re right, it’s only Cambridge which requires maths. Also if you’re going to quote me, do so correctly.
Reply 10
maybe look into the IB
Original post by 12ksmith
I said ‘want’ not ‘require’. You’re right, it’s only Cambridge which requires maths. Also if you’re going to quote me, do so correctly.

yup, cambridge does not 'require' maths, just suggests that most successful applicants have it, hence 'wants'.
No other university specifies any kind of preference for maths lol- just wondering, why do you think this ?
Original post by niamh787
yup, cambridge does not 'require' maths, just suggests that most successful applicants have it, hence 'wants'.
No other university specifies any kind of preference for maths lol, just wondering, why do you think this ?

A2 Maths is essential for Magdalene. Sorry, I should have been more specific regarding colleges.
nah there are about 4 or so who dont need Chem, including my medical school. I know this as a fellow medic at my uni didnt do A level chem and got 4/4 offers.
You definitely need Chemistry and Biology, there is no way around this like mentioned in all the posts above. No high way option. It's a requirement, Chem anyways bc of application.

But you could look into Medicine Foundation programmes and what certain unis require. For example, Kings requirement is Bio and Chem with at least an A in one subject but other unis such as Cardiff or elsewhere may offer places to non-science subjects. So definitely do look into it.

But what I will say is you've got to go through Chem and Bio at A level. If you are passionate for Medicine, you will do it.

Hard work gets you to and through Medicine. Nothing else.
Original post by manlike99
nah there are about 4 or so who dont need Chem, including my medical school. I know this as a fellow medic at my uni didnt do A level chem and got 4/4 offers.

In the UK??? I haven't come across any medical school which say Chemistry is not compulsory. I'm pretty sure ALL of them require Chemistry and some require Biology in addition to Chemistry as well.

None require/want Maths.
Original post by GrandExecutioner
In the UK??? I haven't come across any medical school which say Chemistry is not compulsory. I'm pretty sure ALL of them require Chemistry and some require Biology in addition to Chemistry as well.

None require/want Maths.

Yes. In the UK. I'm at Barts. They also applied to Keele, Newcastle and one more which I can't remember. Have a look for yoruself on the websites and you will see. I never said anything about Maths or Biology?
Keele, Newcastle, Barts and Norwich are the schools that don't require Chemistry. The first three want Chemistry or Biology and the last want Biology. This may have changed since so please check.

The common viewpoint on Chemistry is simply because there are so many more medical schools that require Chemistry than not, so might as well open up the options.

Nearly all medical schools will require at least two 'science'/'lab-based' subjects. Such subjects include Chemistry, Biology, Human Biology, Physics and Maths.

If you are not wanting A-Levels in particular, you could consider IB. However, that is actually similar or in some cases harder than A-Levels. You could also look at Access to Medicine courses but these do not actually guarantee a transition into medicine, and you must check with individual universities if they accept the course (as some universities will recognise some but not others and it varies) Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to enter medicine without some form of higher education in today's days and age.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending