The Student Room Group

Help With BTEC and getting into University

I am applying for university outside of the UK and every time i try to fill out an application or email the admin office, they say you need to have IB, SAT or ACT. I live in the UK and have never even been able to find those type of qualifications.

I have a Pearsons BTEC Level 3 in Business at D* D D. I do not want to waste anymore time doing more qualification to get into a uni outside of the UK.

Any advise

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Michael8721
I am applying for university outside of the UK and every time i try to fill out an application or email the admin office, they say you need to have IB, SAT or ACT. I live in the UK and have never even been able to find those type of qualifications.

I have a Pearsons BTEC Level 3 in Business at D* D D. I do not want to waste anymore time doing more qualification to get into a uni outside of the UK.

Any advise

Thanks in advance

Do they accept A-levels? If so you can tell them that D*DD is equivalent to A*AA at A-level according to UCAS.

But, yes, it can make things more complicated.

Alternatively you can easily sit ACT or SAT in the UK. They are most commonly used for US universities but others will accept them too.
http://www.fulbright.org.uk/going-to-the-usa/undergraduate/educationusa-advice/applying/admissions-exams/which-exam-to-take

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Do they accept A-levels? If so you can tell them that D*DD is equivalent to A*AA at A-level according to UCAS.

But, yes, it can make things more complicated.

Alternatively you can easily sit ACT or SAT in the UK. They are most commonly used for US universities but others will accept them too.
http://www.fulbright.org.uk/going-to-the-usa/undergraduate/educationusa-advice/applying/admissions-exams/which-exam-to-take

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply the uni is in Japan the reason is my family are moving there for a job, i can also choose to stay here in the UK but thought it would be a good opportunity to move abroad. The problem is i don't think they understand A level or BTEC.
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply the uni is in Japan the reason is my family are moving there for a job, i can also choose to stay here in the UK but thought it would be a good opportunity to move abroad. The problem is i don't think they understand A level or BTEC.

So do SAT or ACT. There's no prep specifically needed, although afaik there's loads of online resources to help you. But it's certainly not as if it will take another year or two to do the tests. And you can retake them, US pupils commonly do that.
Reply 4
And tagging @wolfmoon88 for their thoughts. :smile:

Any advise

Thanks in advance

@Doonesbury thank you for the mention :smile:

OP, what Japanese universities are you looking at? I assume you are looking at English language programmes specifically?
Reply 6
Original post by wolfmoon88
@Doonesbury thank you for the mention :smile:

OP, what Japanese universities are you looking at? I assume you are looking at English language programmes specifically?

Yes a English based program, Thanks for the Reply.

I am applying for:
School of Political Science and Economics English-based Degree Studies September Admission Program (EDESSA)

at Waseda University.

Also PEARL (Programme in Economics for Alliances, Research and Leadership)

at Keio University
Yes a English based program, Thanks for the Reply.

I am applying for:
School of Political Science and Economics English-based Degree Studies September Admission Program (EDESSA)

at Waseda University.

Also PEARL (Programme in Economics for Alliances, Research and Leadership)

at Keio University

Ok, sorry for the late reply; I was refamiliarizing myself with the requirements for both programmes because Waseda redesigned their website and programme for this year. (and believe me, their previous site was absolute nightmare to navigate)

For EDESSA and PEARL, both shouldn't be too great of an issue if you have a BTEC qualification, however you would need to take the SAT or the ACT to supplement your application. That shouldn't need too much preparation. A New SAT score of approximately 1300-1350 would be sufficient.

I would confirm with both Keio and Waseda admissions, however it seems like the general requirements is just 12 years of schooling in a foreign country so it should be fine.

I have a friend studying in Keio in the PEARL programme right now and the quality of the programme is definitely on par and better than most other Japanese universities in terms of English programmes.

I would caution you a bit about Waseda as a lot of former classmates who are there have complained about the teaching quality and the lack of English speaking abilities of the professors qnd peers.

Hope this helps and good luck with your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Ok, sorry for the late reply; I was refamiliarizing myself with the requirements for both programmes because Waseda redesigned their website and programme for this year. (and believe me, their previous site was absolute nightmare to navigate)

For EDESSA and PEARL, both shouldn't be too great of an issue if you have a BTEC qualification, however you would need to take the SAT or the ACT to supplement your application. That shouldn't need too much preparation. A New SAT score of approximately 1300-1350 would be sufficient.

I would confirm with both Keio and Waseda admissions, however it seems like the general requirements is just 12 years of schooling in a foreign country so it should be fine.

I have a friend studying in Keio in the PEARL programme right now and the quality of the programme is definitely on par and better than most other Japanese universities in terms of English programmes.

I would caution you a bit about Waseda as a lot of former classmates who are there have complained about the teaching quality and the lack of English speaking abilities of the professors qnd peers.

Hope this helps and good luck with your application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry for asking so many questions and thank you much for looking into it for me, i dont know how to do a SAT test in Northern Ireland which is where i am at the minute. Also i am wondering if they are hard and what will i need to be eligible for this any way i can email you or pm on this site.

Thank you
Reply 9
Sorry for asking so many questions and thank you much for looking into it for me, i dont know how to do a SAT test in Northern Ireland which is where i am at the minute. Also i am wondering if they are hard and what will i need to be eligible for this any way i can email you or pm on this site.

Thank you

SERC Lisburn

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/register/find-test-centers

And did you look at the Fulbright info I linked earlier?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
SERC Lisburn

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/register/find-test-centers

And did you look at the Fulbright info I linked earlier?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i looked at both i am just wondering will i need to do research to be able to pass/is it hard.
Reply 11
Yeah i looked at both i am just wondering will i need to do research to be able to pass/is it hard.

There are free online example tests.

Have a go and see how you do with no prep at all. And then you can get some books etc if you need them.

Eg https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/practice/full-length-practice-tests

https://www.khanacademy.org/test-prep/sat/full-length-sat-1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you

No problem :smile: that's what we are here for! I am not from the UK so wouldn't know where you would take the SAT in NI; but Doonesbury seems to have you covered on that one :smile:.

SAT I is pretty much a standardised test that tests knowledge you gained during your education from English and Maths. For English, there are two sections: Reading and Writing (Grammar). The maths section is from what I can tell in between GCSE and AS Level Maths so it isn't terribly difficult. However, I would do a couple of practice tests to familiarize yourself with the terminology because since it's an test geared towards Americans, some usages of maths terminology may be completely foreign to British educated students :yep: (The links Doonesbury provided are very helpful so check it out :smile:)

You can pm me on this site, if you click on my username, it will lead you to my user profile. You can look up my contact info there and send me a pm :yep: Alternatively, I can send you a pm if you have more private questions you would like to ask that you aren't comfortable with sharing in the public thread.
Reply 13
No problem :smile: that's what we are here for! I am not from the UK so wouldn't know where you would take the SAT in NI; but Doonesbury seems to have you covered on that one :smile:.

SAT I is pretty much a standardised test that tests knowledge you gained during your education from English and Maths. For English, there are two sections: Reading and Writing (Grammar). The maths section is from what I can tell in between GCSE and AS Level Maths so it isn't terribly difficult. However, I would do a couple of practice tests to familiarize yourself with the terminology because since it's an test geared towards Americans, some usages of maths terminology may be completely foreign to British educated students :yep: (The links Doonesbury provided are very helpful so check it out :smile:)

You can pm me on this site, if you click on my username, it will lead you to my user profile. You can look up my contact info there and send me a pm :yep: Alternatively, I can send you a pm if you have more private questions you would like to ask that you aren't comfortable with sharing in the public thread.

Thanks Wolfie :smile:

Lisburn is near Belfast and fairly easy for anyone in NI to access (I'm from NI :wink: )

Do you happen to know of better online free sat resources than the ones I've linked?

Also, will the Japanese universities require any subject SATs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lisburn is near Belfast and fairly easy for anyone in NI to access (I'm from NI :wink: )

Do you happen to know of better online free sat resources than the ones I've linked?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I emailed both universities on the SAT'S both have not replied and they are quiet vague in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good :smile: my former school is a test centre so it was very convenient for me. I never encountered this issue of searching for a test centre.

Honestly, most sites with free SAT exam prep materials I know are of questionable origins so let's just leave it at that :yep:

Not that I know of, they didn't require anybody I know to submit subject tests but I do know that some did submit them because they took them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I emailed both universities on the SAT'S both have not replied and they are quiet vague in general.

It's in Keio's FAQ - just the SAT & SAT Essay are required.

https://www.keio.ac.jp/en/admissions/undergraduate/pearl/faq.html

@wolfmoon88 :smile:
It's in Keio's FAQ - just the SAT & SAT Essay are required.

https://www.keio.ac.jp/en/admissions/undergraduate/pearl/faq.html

@wolfmoon88 :smile:

Yeah would think SAT with Essay is standard. :smile: Most prefer universities prefer SAT with Essay. Not an issue, the essay on the SAT is relatively straight forward... just have to follow a rubric scheme to get maximum points.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah would think SAT with Essay is standard. :smile: Most prefer universities prefer SAT with Essay. Not an issue, the essay on the SAT is relatively straight forward... just have to follow a rubric scheme to get maximum points.

OK so last question the time to have the application filled out and sent in is January 27th for the university, i don't think i will have the SAT's done why then with holidays, prep and so on. I don't know if i can say for example will be completed by September 2018.
OK so last question the time to have the application filled out and sent in is January 27th for the university, i don't think i will have the SAT's done why then with holidays, prep and so on. I don't know if i can say for example will be completed by September 2018.

If I am correct, I think Keio PEARL has multiple application periods so you still have time :yep: for Waseda not so sure... I would contact the university and ask if they will accept your SAT scores after you sent in your application. (Honestly, I would just take the test ASAP to get it over with even with minimal prep to see how you do first and if it's satisfactory great, if not you can always take it again. It is better to have a semi decent score then have no score at all.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending