The Student Room Group

Can't Afford Printing Costs 😢

I'm broke and need to print a lot of pages in colour. My older sister said she would try to print at her workplace for me. I just feel so bad about it though. The printers there are for a different reason. I have so little options and don't know what to do because I can't afford the costs involved. I am trying to get my coursework printed and I am 17 (attending sixth form college) and do want to get a job soon.

Any serious response appreciated. I know it seems funny because it is only printing costs but I really need help/advice.

At college the price is too high. Elsewhere (PC Cafe) it is even more.

Thank You

P.S I am having to print in colour simply because or else the piece of work is a lot more difficult to understand.
(edited 6 years ago)
You could try drawing out some of your harder to understand diagrams and colouring them in? Not only will this help you remember them but you'll have cheap and easy colour pages. Alternatively, you could print in black and white and colour it in or print as much as you can B&W and print particular diagrams and pages in colour. Hope this helps! X
Original post by RubesACline
You could try drawing out some of your harder to understand diagrams and colouring them in? Not only will this help you remember them but you'll have cheap and easy colour pages. Alternatively, you could print in black and white and colour it in or print as much as you can B&W and print particular diagrams and pages in colour. Hope this helps! X

Thank you for your response but perhaps it was stupid of me not to mention that my coursework is around 400 pages long. You are right I could try print some pages in black and white. Would an examiner find it odd that some is in colour and some is in black and white or do you think it would be fine? Would it show that I didn't care as much about the coursework as opposed to others? It may look so dull that they give up marking.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Print the coloured pages at a library or at college.Print the other pages in black and white which is usually cheaper :smile:
Reply 4
As above, print what needs to be in colour in colour, then do the rest in black and white. Shouldn't end up being too much that way?

Don't get your sister involved. If the printers at her workplace aren't available for A-level coursework, it's best she doesn't do it and risk getting in trouble. Not worth losing a job over.

Edit: Just seen the post saying coursework is 400 pages long... Good luck with an examiner marking that seriously :lol:
(edited 6 years ago)
Email it to your teacher?
Original post by MKaur18
Print the coloured pages at a library or at college.Print the other pages in black and white which is usually cheaper :smile:

This was the approach I wanted to take but I can't afford to print in colour at college. It totals to an amount that I simply can't afford. I don't want to ask my mum to pay for printing because that seems unfair. I got myself into a stupid position. Damn.
Original post by Franzen
As above, print what needs to be in colour in colour, then do the rest in black and white. Shouldn't end up being too much that way?

Don't get your sister involved. If the printers at her workplace aren't available for A-level coursework, it's best she doesn't do it and risk getting in trouble. Not worth losing a job over.

Edit: Just seen the post saying coursework is 400 pages long... Good luck with an examiner marking that seriously :lol:

My teacher marks my coursework and then it is sent to AQA for moderation. My work is very well-organised imo. I have included a very detail and well broken down table of contents to help.
Reply 8
Original post by Dragon5555
This was the approach I wanted to take but I can't afford to print in colour at college. It totals to an amount that I simply can't afford. I don't want to ask my mum to pay for printing because that seems unfair. I got myself into a stupid position. Damn.

Otherwise, save up like £5 or £10 a week. You can buy cheap printers which will help in the long run. Or ask your parents to help with the cost, like you pay for ink and they buy the printer.

Ask the college and tell them the position your in and ask whether they can reduce it for you. Or else, ask a friend :smile:
Original post by laurawatt
Email it to your teacher?

I think that would be very difficult to do simply because he expects everyone in my class to print it out on their own. I can't see why he'd print my work out only.
Original post by MKaur18
Otherwise, save up like £5 or £10 a week. You can buy cheap printers which will help in the long run. Or ask your parents to help with the cost, like you pay for ink and they buy the printer.

Ask the college and tell them the position your in and ask whether they can reduce it for you. Or else, ask a friend :smile:

Seems like a nice idea :smile: Do you know of any cheap printers and ink that I could buy? Just enough to print my coursework once.
Seems like a nice idea :smile: Do you know of any cheap printers and ink that I could buy? Just enough to print my coursework once.

Argos or Currys. I recommend looking into Canon, HP Deskjet. Getting a snazzy wireless one is obviously going to be more expensive. But anything that works will be fine :smile:
Thanks a lot!

i bought the same one recently... there is plenty of ink for your project in the box.
Original post by the bear
i bought the same one recently... there is plenty of ink for your project in the box.

Woah that seems amazing :biggrin: Thank you so much! This could help me out quite a lot.
Reply 16
my coursework is around 400 pages long.

For coursework?

That's longer than most PhD theses...

Quick Reply

Latest