The Student Room Group

Someone help me! I don't like my A-level subjects!

Hi, Basically I was studying at an international school for secondary however I left at the end of year 11 because I didn't get the grades to stay. Because this was sort of unexpected I was forced to go to a school and take subjects I didn't even want to take. (I wanted to take art and French but they clash on the timetable) I'm not enjoying the school and I want to change courses to the IB as it fits in better with what I want to do. My family haven't been very supportive with me wanting to do this but I don't know what to do anymore! Its too late in the program so I would have to wait another year but I'm really not enjoying it at my school and I'm constantly feeling stressed and anxious. I know most people will tell me to wait it out but I feel like i'm just wasting time when I could be studying as well as the fact I'm really hating school. I don't know if I could join a program however stay at the school for 3 years instead of 2 to catch up but I really have no idea. If anyone has any suggestions at all, it would be much appreciated!
Reply 1
A friend of mine ended up not taking any AS-Level exams in year 12, instead she repeated the year with different subjects and THEN did year 13. By not taking any exams she still achieved all her A-Levels within 2 years which is sometimes a University criteria.

Talk to your school - it’s possible you could do this. As for IB you’d have to talk to a college that offer it and see what their advice is.

Good luck dude.
You should get in contact with other schools that offer IB and see if they'd accept you for entry either very soon or next September. If you could only be accepted for entry in September, you might have some options: wait it out at your current school and see if your subjects grow on you (and if so, consider staying on for Year 13); redo Year 12 at another IB school in September; or drop out of school to self-study the Year 12 content for your chosen IB subjects and enter an IB school in September but for Year 13 instead of Year 12 (if they let you do this). I'm afraid I don't know much about IB so any advice could be completely irrelevant :redface:, but I'd certainly recommend getting in touch with other IB schools to see what your options would be :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Amanzhol
You should get in contact with other schools that offer IB and see if they'd accept you for entry either very soon or next September. If you could only be accepted for entry in September, you might have some options: wait it out at your current school and see if your subjects grow on you (and if so, consider staying on for Year 13); redo Year 12 at another IB school in September; or drop out of school to self-study the Year 12 content for your chosen IB subjects and enter an IB school in September but for Year 13 instead of Year 12 (if they let you do this). I'm afraid I don't know much about IB so any advice could be completely irrelevant :redface:, but I'd certainly recommend getting in touch with other IB schools to see what your options would be :smile:

Thank you so much for your advice!
Reply 4

Also do you think its weird if I personally get in contact with School or should it be my parents? I feel like I would prefer to do it myself as then I can tell them exactly what happened etc but I don't know?
Original post by BellaPatten
Also do you think its weird if I personally get in contact with School or should it be my parents? I feel like I would prefer to do it myself as then I can tell them exactly what happened etc but I don't know?

Not weird at all. In fact it's better that you get in contact yourself rather than your parents because it simply shows a level of maturity :smile:

Also I'd suggest emailing rather than calling because you'll have a written record of whatever they tell you that you can refer back to (plus you can send the email now rather than having to wait until term time to call them).
Reply 6
Not weird at all. In fact it's better that you get in contact yourself rather than your parents because it simply shows a level of maturity :smile:

Also I'd suggest emailing rather than calling because you'll have a written record of whatever they tell you that you can refer back to (plus you can send the email now rather than having to wait until term time to call them).

Okay, Thank you so so much for all your help :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by LRxS
A friend of mine ended up not taking any AS-Level exams in year 12, instead she repeated the year with different subjects and THEN did year 13. By not taking any exams she still achieved all her A-Levels within 2 years which is sometimes a University criteria.

Talk to your school - it’s possible you could do this. As for IB you’d have to talk to a college that offer it and see what their advice is.

Good luck dude.

Thank you so much for the advice :wink:
Original post by BellaPatten
Okay, Thank you so so much for all your help :wink:

No problem - good luck with it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest