The Student Room Group

Donald Trump to cut UN funding

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/us-cut-un-funding-285m-donald-trump-nikki-haley-jerusalem-a8128426.html

I'm also doing World First, by cutting funding to USA by not buying anything that is " Made in USA " or from a USA company.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ckfeister
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/us-cut-un-funding-285m-donald-trump-nikki-haley-jerusalem-a8128426.html

I'm also doing World First, by cutting funding to USA by not buying anything that is " Made in USA " or from a USA company.

Good on ya
What's UN?
So he is just blackmailing countries and institutions basically...

"Vote in my favour or I'll take names and cut your funding!"

He is a disgraceful human being thinks he can get his way through threats. I can't wait until the U.S gets a new president and they undo all his ********.
Hopefully this means that they can kick America out of the Security Council. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
What's UN?

Please be joking
Original post by Bill Nye
Please be joking

Why would I be joking?
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Why would I be joking?

Ever heard of the United Nations?!
Original post by Bill Nye
Ever heard of the United Nations?!

Yes! Off Halo? United Nations Space Command?
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
What's the entire point of diplomacy? To get the best deal for your country. I don't see the problem when this is the basis of diplomacy.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Why do you think the US has funded the UN for all this time? Because it gave them a lot of control over it.

If the UN isn't pushing US interests any longer, then why wouldn't the US drop the pretense of generosity?

Because the U.N is there for everyone, not just the rich and the powerful countries. They should fund it because it's for the greater good of the world not just so they can get their way all the time.

The U.S has gone to the U.N dozens of times to get sanctions placed on North Korea and they've been passed, in fact the majority of things the U.S wanted have been passed, just this one time the U.S doesn't get it's way and they cut funding? Trump is nothing but a bully, he'll be gone in a few years anyway thank god.
Non cooperation with the UN is ultimately detrimental for the US as it damages America's reputation and its influence. Which might be a good thing if trump and his stooges control US in the way it is now.

Really? You are ready to part with Apple, Google, Facebook and all that?
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Because the U.N is there for everyone, not just the rich and the powerful countries. They should fund it because it's for the greater good of the world not just so they can get their way all the time.

The U.S has gone to the U.N dozens of times to get sanctions placed on North Korea and they've been passed, in fact the majority of things the U.S wanted have been passed, just this one time the U.S doesn't get it's way and they cut funding? Trump is nothing but a bully, he'll be gone in a few years anyway thank god.

Did you even bother to read the article?

I'll summarise it for you, as it would seem that you did not. The US claims to have negotiated a cut in the UN's budget, and it is not yet clear how that will impact the US' contribution. We have no clue how much of a reduction this is for, and this was certainly not done in response to recent clashes over the Jerusalem decision - seeing as a budget negotiation cannot be concluded in so short a time.

In short, wait for the overall picture before going off on one.
Original post by xBasedChris
Did you even bother to read the article?

I'll summarise it for you, as it would seem that you did not. The US claims to have negotiated a cut in the UN's budget, and it is not yet clear how that will impact the US' contribution. We have no clue how much of a reduction this is for, and this was certainly not done in response to recent clashes over the Jerusalem decision - seeing as a budget negotiation cannot be concluded in so short a time.

In short, wait for the overall picture before going off on one.

I did read the article and it doesn't take a genius to look at the facts.

#1. Trump threatens to "take names" of those who vote against the U.S on Jerusalem and they they provide substantial financial aid to these countries.
#2. Trump threatens to cut aid to the U.N because they give substantial money to an institution which votes against the U.S.
#3. Trump then "negotiates" a $285million reduction in U.N funding.

This is obviously bullying and the tactics of a president who has no clue how to be a politician or a president.

He disgusts me.

#1. Trump threatens to "take names" of those who vote against the U.S on Jerusalem and they they provide substantial financial aid to these countries.
#2. Trump threatens to cut aid to the U.N because they give substantial money to an institution which votes against the U.S.

This is obviously bullying and the tactics of a president who has no clue how to be a politician or a president.

He disgusts me.

Do you honestly think that the budget of the United Nations is that flexible? That it can be changed in so little time?

These things take months of negotiations. Trump was hardly friendly towards the UN prior to the Jerusalem vote, so it is quite natural that Haley would want to negotiate a decrease in the budget even prior to it.

Correlation does not equal causation. It might be the case, but there is no evidence for it yet. Do you not think it is a tad childish to be disgusted when you don't have all the facts? Sit back, and wait and see what else comes to light.

P.S. Surely being able to manipulate the UN, were we to accept your unevidenced account of things, into such a large budget reduction would be the hallmark of a skilled politician, in that he was wise enough to choose such a capable Ambassador?
Original post by xBasedChris
Do you honestly think that the budget of the United Nations is that flexible? That it can be changed in so little time?

These things take months of negotiations. Trump was hardly friendly towards the UN prior to the Jerusalem vote, so it is quite natural that Haley would want to negotiate a decrease in the budget even prior to it.

Correlation does not equal causation. It might be the case, but there is no evidence for it yet. Do you not think it is a tad childish to be disgusted when you don't have all the facts? Sit back, and wait and see what else comes to light.

P.S. Surely being able to manipulate the UN, were we to accept your unevidenced account of things, into such a large budget reduction would be the hallmark of a skilled politician, in that he was wise enough to choose such a capable Ambassador?

What I thinks childish is a president who bullies countries by "taking names" and threatening to cut their aid if they don't side with the U.S on a deeply controversial and religious issue.

As for manipulating the U.N, he is the president of the most powerful nation on Earth, without the U.S the U.N basically falls apart, he can click his fingers and cut funding if he wants and it's no coincidence that this happens just a few days after the U.N sides against them.

Just putting 2 and 2 together :smile:
Reply 17

In fairness aside from Bombs, Bullets and CDOs im struggling to think of anything made in the USA

He disgusts me.

Pretty much every country does that, Germany threatened us over Brexit, But once again because Trump did it, it is now suddenly new and evil
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending