The Student Room Group

I'm a Degree Apprentice - AMA

Inspired by @brainzistheword thread.

I've been a degree apprentice for 4 months now at a top 10 global management consultancy firm. I originally had a Conditional Offer to study Computer Science at The University Of Kent but decided to take the degree apprenticeship route instead.

Ask me anything!!! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by squirrology

I've been a degree apprentice for 4 months now at a top 10 global management consultancy firm. I originally had a Conditional Offer to study Computer Science at The University Of Kent but decided to take the degree apprenticeship route instead.

Loving this! :heart:

What made you opt for the apprenticeship?

Spoiler

Original post by brainzistheword
Loving this! :heart:

What made you opt for the apprenticeship?

Spoiler

I chose the apprenticeship route for the following reasons:
> No Debt
> Earning a relatively decent salary at a young age
> By 21 I would be somewhat qualified to be a Software Engineer.
(edited 6 years ago)

How are you finding it? Always wondered what degree apprenticeships are like
Original post by madmadmax321
How are you finding it? Always wondered what degree apprenticeships are like

Not going to lie, it is very difficult to the point where I have contemplated quitting and just apply to University for 2018 entry or find an apprenticeship.

I go to University one day a week and I work 4 days a week. However, I am currently based in Germany which makes it 10 times harder - flying out on Tuesday Morning and arriving back to London on Friday then going to University on Monday - It's hard to find time to revise for exams and complete coursework (Term 1 - I had 1 exam and three pieces of coursework to complete altogether) - but it's all worth it in the end.

Interesting, not many apprenticeships that offer this.

How many credits are you taking at university?
Tell me about the experience you've gained so far at work.
Haha, I might just start my own Degree Apprentice AMA thread. :biggrin:

How are you finding it so far? I tried PMing you but I think you disabled that option. I thought you had second thoughts on the apprenticeship and wanted to go back to university, so what have your thought been on this? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Toy Soldiers

How are you finding it so far? I tried PMing you but I think you disabled that option. I thought you had second thoughts on the apprenticeship and wanted to go back to university, so what have your thought been on this? :smile:

I'm currently applying for degree apprenticeships at the moment. Where are you working? I'd love to hear about your experience so far. Wondering whether I should really continue pursuing this route or get a regular Apprenticeship.

Also I applied to the Newcastle Degree Apprenticeship programme at Accenture but I got an email saying that they wouldn't be able to continue my application as I needed to be living in the UK for the past 5 years to pass Security clearance (I'm from ROI and I've lived in the UK for almost 2 years ). I haven't received that kind of message from any other company so I'm wondering do Apprentices at Accenture handle classified info like that lol.
Original post by Black Cat
Interesting, not many apprenticeships that offer this.

How many credits are you taking at university?
Tell me about the experience you've gained so far at work.

I am currently taking 120 credits.

So far, I have been programming in object-oriented programming languages and completing admin tasks :smile:

Yeah, you should! :biggrin:

How are you finding your degree apprenticeship so far?

I've found it challenging and enlightening experience so far. As I've mentioned before Term 1: I had 3 pieces of coursework to be completed.
1. Design a 6-page website on chosen topic
2. 20-minute Presentation about an IT invention
3. Group report on information systems

and an exam in Computer Architecture + working full time - Managing my time has been difficult but creating a timetable for when to complete coursework and revise has really helped me.

I'm learning so much on this apprenticeship programme now and it has given me a lot of opportunities i.e Travelling to Germany, Networking etc. that I don't see the point of re-applying to University anymore. By the way, my PMing options are working fine?
(edited 6 years ago)
What don't you like about your apprenticeship?
Original post by 8thouse
I'm currently applying for degree apprenticeships at the moment. Where are you working? I'd love to hear about your experience so far. Wondering whether I should really continue pursuing this route or get a regular Apprenticeship.

Also I applied to the Newcastle Degree Apprenticeship programme at Accenture but I got an email saying that they wouldn't be able to continue my application as I needed to be living in the UK for the past 5 years to pass Security clearance (I'm from ROI and I've lived in the UK for almost 2 years ). I haven't received that kind of message from any other company so I'm wondering do Apprentices at Accenture handle classified info like that lol.

I work for Fortune 500 IT services company based in the south of England and so far it's going great! It really depends if you're focused on the company as well as the overall qualification. I chosen to go for a Level 3 since they did not do Level 4 or Degree Apprenticeships at the time, but they did say that they would consider sponsoring a degree apprenticeship based on performance. I was fortunate to go onto a degree apprenticeship after my Level 3, so I get the best of both. :smile:

If you're eligible for a degree apprenticeship, I'd say go for it! It's a lot more competitive though. I found that because I came in from a Level 3 apprenticeship and had a reputation in the company, there wasn't really a selection process for it. It's easier getting in at an earlier level but it depends what you want to work towards. My aims were to know if this was the company and the industry I want to work in and if the job role was right for me.

I would admit though that a degree apprenticeship is quite a step up, but doing a Level 3 apprenticeship has given me a strong foundation to base my degree work on. As I said beforehand, I don't regret taking a Level 3 at all, since I got to know the company, took various opportunities and had lots of time to make a decision if this is what I really want. :smile:

As for the Accenture apprenticeship, I do know some Accenture apprentices in London that do work with public sector clients, so I'm not surprised by this. However, they do have a lot of commercial clients so I don't see why you cannot be placed onto those. Are you applying directly or via an apprenticeship provider? If it's an apprenticeship provider, they may be able to help you find an eligible apprenticeship.

Yeah, you should! :biggrin:

How are you finding your degree apprenticeship so far?

I've found it challenging and enlightening experience so far. As I've mentioned before Term 1: I had 3 pieces of coursework to be completed.
1. Design a 6-page website on chosen topic
2. 20-minute Presentation about an IT invention
3. Group report on information systems

and an exam in Computer Architecture + working full time - Managing my time has been difficult but creating a timetable for when to complete coursework and revise has really helped me.

I'm learning so much on this apprenticeship programme now and it has given me a lot of opportunities i.e Travelling to Germany, Networking etc. that I don't see the point of re-applying to University anymore. By the way, my PMing options are working fine?

The apprenticeship is going well thanks. I've started a BSc Digital and Technology Solutions Degree Apprenticeship thread so I've been engaging with that with others also on that course. I can't remember very well, but are you on a Level 5? Sounds like quite a lot of work, whereas I'm easing into it. I do try to commit around 10 hours a week though, how is it for you?

I can imagine the difficulty of doing those on top of a full-time job, but I'm glad you're managing it well. Good luck on the group report though; I heard it can be more challenging to work as a group than the actual work sometimes :wink:

I tried PMing you a few weeks ago and having tried again just now I'm getting the following message "squirrology has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her. "
Reply 12

I have also applied for few apprenticeships and most were also degree apprenticeships and advanced level. I had a call from estio but couldn't answer and I emailed them but haven't got a reply yet also registered with QA and nothing yet. I might goto uni but can't afford it so need this apprenticeship but not sure how to get in since all my concentration was on uni and not apprenticeship. how do I get into apprenticeship? I'm willing to start this summer
Original post by hugebrain
What don't you like about your apprenticeship?

The uncertainty of what will happen at the end.

The apprenticeship is going well thanks. I've started a BSc Digital and Technology Solutions Degree Apprenticeship thread so I've been engaging with that with others also on that course. I can't remember very well, but are you on a Level 5? Sounds like quite a lot of work, whereas I'm easing into it. I do try to commit around 10 hours a week though, how is it for you?

I can imagine the difficulty of doing those on top of a full-time job, but I'm glad you're managing it well. Good luck on the group report though; I heard it can be more challenging to work as a group than the actual work sometimes :wink:

I tried PMing you a few weeks ago and having tried again just now I'm getting the following message "squirrology has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her. "

No, I'm on Level 4 and there's already a lot to manage. I wonder what Level 6 will be like :lol:

Thanks! It was quite challenging to work in a group at first :rofl: There were a few people in my group that were relying on me and someone else to do all the work and so we "formally" removed them out of our group.

My PM should be working now, I realised that although my PM's are enabled, I can only receive them from other Moderators and Contacts but you should now be able to send as I've opted out.
Original post by wolto
I have also applied for few apprenticeships and most were also degree apprenticeships and advanced level. I had a call from estio but couldn't answer and I emailed them but haven't got a reply yet also registered with QA and nothing yet. I might goto uni but can't afford it so need this apprenticeship but not sure how to get in since all my concentration was on uni and not apprenticeship. how do I get into apprenticeship? I'm willing to start this summer

Just simply look for degree apprenticeship vacancies and apply to them, some websites that I used during my search for degree apprenticeships/apprenticeship vacancies are:
https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/
https://www.indeed.co.uk/
https://www.ratemyapprenticeship.co.uk/
https://investment2020.org.uk/
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/degreeapprentice/
https://www.getmyfirstjob.co.uk/
Reply 15
Just simply look for degree apprenticeship vacancies and apply to them, some websites that I used during my search for degree apprenticeships/apprenticeship vacancies are:
https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/
https://www.indeed.co.uk/
https://www.ratemyapprenticeship.co.uk/
https://investment2020.org.uk/
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/degreeapprentice/
https://www.getmyfirstjob.co.uk/

Been invited for an interview for a degree apprenticeship. I'm so happy but the interview is in May and if I do well I could be starting September and will also be traveling from reading to Sheffield for uni lectures and complete my shifts at reading. the journey is not as bad as yours
The uncertainty of what will happen at the end.

No, I'm on Level 4 and there's already a lot to manage. I wonder what Level 6 will be like :lol:

Thanks! It was quite challenging to work in a group at first :rofl: There were a few people in my group that were relying on me and someone else to do all the work and so we "formally" removed them out of our group.

My PM should be working now, I realised that although my PM's are enabled, I can only receive them from other Moderators and Contacts but you should now be able to send as I've opted out.

That's a Level 4 too? :confused: Well, I've only completed my first term so things might pick up a bit soon. I'm being given the same amount of study time now as I will get on my Level 6 so I need to learn to be productive and utilise my time now before I start my Level 6 dissertation.

I prefer to work independently but sometimes we end up doing group work which is automatically assigned to me. Not great but seeing that we all have rotated modules now, I will be working with other apprentices from different companies so I think that'll be better - great networking opportunities too!

How is it for you still, commuting to the university for your lectures?
That's a Level 4 too? :confused: Well, I've only completed my first term so things might pick up a bit soon. I'm being given the same amount of study time now as I will get on my Level 6 so I need to learn to be productive and utilise my time now before I start my Level 6 dissertation.

I prefer to work independently but sometimes we end up doing group work which is automatically assigned to me. Not great but seeing that we all have rotated modules now, I will be working with other apprentices from different companies so I think that'll be better - great networking opportunities too!

How is it for you still, commuting to the university for your lectures?

I wish we had the opportunity to undertake group projects with other apprentices from different companies - but most of our lectures/tutorials are just our apprentices only. We have one module where we are with other apprentices from firms like Barclays, Network Rail, Ford etc. and the standalone University students. I'm not sure whether I've been given the same amount of study time as what I would get in the final year? I've been given 25 hours of study time for this academic year. What kind of coursework have you been given so far in the course? And what sorts of tasks do you do in your role?

The commute to university is OK I guess, I'm getting used to it. I must admit the University day is incredibly long though, 9 to 6 with 2 hour long lectures and 1 hour and 30-minute long tutorials - 2 lectures and 2 tutorials in one day.

Original post by wolto
Been invited for an interview for a degree apprenticeship. I'm so happy but the interview is in May and if I do well I could be starting September and will also be traveling from reading to Sheffield for uni lectures and complete my shifts at reading. the journey is not as bad as yours

Good luck for the interview!

Spoiler

How do these work? Do you need any formal qualifications to get on to these before you start, like you normally do with uni courses?
Reply 19
Good luck for the interview!

Spoiler

[sopiler] taking it on 25th 😁 got to pass before summer thanks. do you think 17k would be enough to live in Reading where my apprenticeship is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending