The Student Room Group

Need help with GCSE languages?

I've seen quite an abundance of threads regarding people's struggles with GCSE languages so I thought I'd help out a bit :redface:

I got an A* in GCSE Spanish and an A in French (AQA) and I'm currently doing both at A level. If you have any questions regarding either language, whether it be a grammar point or just tips on how to revise, I'd be glad to help.

Feel free to ask below or just send me a PM :h:
Hey!
Hope everything is going well!
Im currently in year 10 and doing gcsr french (AQA) and just wanted to ask a few questions concerning french revision etc:

1. How did you revise for writing, listening speaking and reading exams?

2. How did you stay motivated in french so you could reach your full potential?

Thank You!!!!xxxxxx
:h:
Reply 2
For Spanish what must you include in your writing to get the highest marks possible? I've been stuck on a high grade 7 for a while and am unsure of what i can do to boost myself up to grade 8 - any help would be appreciated.
How should i revise Spanish and if possible can i learn it all in 4 months.

- How can i prepare for all the module of the Spanish exam.
- How can i prepare for the speaking and listening exam.
Original post by cj_sS
For Spanish what must you include in your writing to get the highest marks possible? I've been stuck on a high grade 7 for a while and am unsure of what i can do to boost myself up to grade 8 - any help would be appreciated.

How can i get to a grade 7 in Spanish, I'm stuck on a 4.

Any tips, anything would help at this point.
Reply 5
Original post by RebmaKopy
How can i get to a grade 7 in Spanish, I'm stuck on a 4.

Any tips, anything would help at this point.

I'd say to try and include more than 1 tense in the same sentence. Also with opinions don't just leave it at one point. Expand your ideas. Try to also include more interesting vocab and phrases - Examiners love to see these!
Original post by cj_sS
I'd say to try and include more than 1 tense in the same sentence. Also with opinions don't just leave it at one point. Expand your ideas. Try to also include more interesting vocab and phrases - Examiners love to see these!

Ty man, btw do you have that pearson login for this website -

https://idp.activeteachonline.com/sso/idp/www/module.php/core/loginuserpass.php?AuthState=_ed4ed692f1a16f526d96f01f1bc554f186a0776caf%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fidp.activeteachonline.com%2Fsso%2Fidp%2Fwww%2Fsaml2%2Fidp%2FSSOService.php%3Fspentityid%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.pearsonactivelearn.com%26cookieTime%3D1514142622%26RelayState%3D
Original post by A.N123
Hey!
Hope everything is going well!
Im currently in year 10 and doing gcsr french (AQA) and just wanted to ask a few questions concerning french revision etc:

1. How did you revise for writing, listening speaking and reading exams?

2. How did you stay motivated in french so you could reach your full potential?

Thank You!!!!xxxxxx
:h:

Hey, I've have a thread on how to get A*s on languages which you can find here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5112982
I've given out advice on how do to well in writing and listening, as well as on learning vocabulary which is essential for reading :smile:
Good luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by okurr123
Hey, I've have a thread on how to get A*s on languages which you can find here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5112982
I've given out advice on how do to well in writing and listening, as well as on learning vocabulary which is essential for reading :smile:
Good luck!

Thank You!:smile:
Original post by cj_sS

Current 8 and pred. 9 in Spanish - found that Writing was actually my weak point compared to everything else, even though I feel most confident with writing! Exam technique was what did it for me; make sure that you write one clear paragraph for each bullet point in the question, and make sure that you use a variety of tenses ie. sprinkle parts of the past tense in one paragraph, conditional in the next, future in the next etc etc.

Also make sure to use complex structures - not really that complex, though, as my Spanish teacher has taught us it's just 3 sentences/points joined up with connectives, but they get you loads of marks/put you in the top marking band!!

Lastly, remember to not write over the word count!! A few words over is okay, but at first I struggled to get my head around the idea that you CAN get 28 marks with only 80-90 words, as I essentially wrote a whole novel for 'insurance marks', without realising that going over the count may actually harm your answer.

When I applied all these rules to my French exam (granted, different language), I did so so so much better than my Spanish writing mock.

And as for listening revision, for ALL languages, listening to native radio frequently has helped me wonders. Even if you don't understand all of it, immersing yourself in it will get you used to picking out words and phrases. I use 'emisora.org.es' for Spanish radio and 'ecouterradioenligne.com' for French Radio.

Hope this helps!!!
Reply 10
Original post by GreedyForTea123
Current 8 and pred. 9 in Spanish - found that Writing was actually my weak point compared to everything else, even though I feel most confident with writing! Exam technique was what did it for me; make sure that you write one clear paragraph for each bullet point in the question, and make sure that you use a variety of tenses ie. sprinkle parts of the past tense in one paragraph, conditional in the next, future in the next etc etc.

Also make sure to use complex structures - not really that complex, though, as my Spanish teacher has taught us it's just 3 sentences/points joined up with connectives, but they get you loads of marks/put you in the top marking band!!

Lastly, remember to not write over the word count!! A few words over is okay, but at first I struggled to get my head around the idea that you CAN get 28 marks with only 80-90 words, as I essentially wrote a whole novel for 'insurance marks', without realising that going over the count may actually harm your answer.

When I applied all these rules to my French exam (granted, different language), I did so so so much better than my Spanish writing mock.

And as for listening revision, for ALL languages, listening to native radio frequently has helped me wonders. Even if you don't understand all of it, immersing yourself in it will get you used to picking out words and phrases. I use 'emisora.org.es' for Spanish radio and 'ecouterradioenligne.com' for French Radio.

Hope this helps!!!

Brilliant, thanks. I struggle with listening the most.
Reply 11
Original post by cj_sS

1) Tenses, definitely. My teacher frequently asks us to use past, present and future te ses so the examiner can see the breadth of your knowledge.
2) Use a variety of adjectives, connectives etc. Don’t use the same word over and over again, show your knowledge on paper!
3) Try and just use lots and lots of words, the more you use, the better the marks will be. (This is from someone who is currently predicted an 8 in Spanish.)

Quick Reply

Latest