The Student Room Group

Student Loan for Two Courses

Hi, I am currently applying to medicine but am trying to work out what I'll do next year if I don't get in. I would like to go to Belfast Bible College to do a Higher Education Certificate in Theology for a year and then reapply to do medicine the year after, but was wondering if I would be able to get a student loan for both of these courses? Thanks.
Original post by medicineapp460
Hi, I am currently applying to medicine but am trying to work out what I'll do next year if I don't get in. I would like to go to Belfast Bible College to do a Higher Education Certificate in Theology for a year and then reapply to do medicine the year after, but was wondering if I would be able to get a student loan for both of these courses? Thanks.

Hi Medicineapp460,

Just to clarify, have you started the medicine course yet or are you applying to start the medicine course in the 2018/19 academic year?

Thank you,

John.
Original post by John B SLC
Hi Medicineapp460,

Just to clarify, have you started the medicine course yet or are you applying to start the medicine course in the 2018/19 academic year?

Thank you,

John.

Hi John,

I'm applying to start in 2018/19 😊

Naomi
Hi John,

I'm applying to start in 2018/19 😊

Naomi

Hi Naomi,

If you study the certificate in higher education in 2018/19 and then progress onto the medicine degree, you can receive funding for both courses. Due the level of the certificate in higher education, it is not normally funded by Student Finance England, but can be funded by Advanced Learner Loans. The medicine degree can then be funded by Student Finance England.

Hopefully this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
Hi Naomi,

If you study the certificate in higher education in 2018/19 and then progress onto the medicine degree, you can receive funding for both courses. Due the level of the certificate in higher education, it is not normally funded by Student Finance England, but can be funded by Advanced Learner Loans. The medicine degree can then be funded by Student Finance England.

Kind regards,

John.

Hi John,

That's great thank you so much for your help!!

All the best,

Naomi
Hi John,

All the best,

Naomi

Hi Naomi,

Glad to be of assistance, best of luck with your studies.

Kind regards,

John.
Hi Naomi,

Kind regards,

John.

This is incorrect, you cannot use an Advanced Learner Loan to pay for a higher education course. If the OP wants to do a CertHE in Theology then they would have to take out a student loan from SFE (or Student Finance NI, if they live in Northern Ireland).

Hi John,

All the best,

Naomi

See above. I'm unfamiliar with Student Finance NI, but assuming it works in the same was as SFE, if you do the certificate in Theology then you will still be able to get a full student loan for medicine, but you will have lost your 'gift year' (most people never use their 'gift year' - it's really only there in case you fail your exams and need to re-take a year).

Doing a theology certificate will not help your medicine application chances - you'd be better off using the time to get some solid work experience or studying a subject allied to medicine.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending