The Student Room Group

would this be a good epq idea?

hi
i have to do my epq during my a levels and hate the thought of writing a full on 5000 word essay and i am wanting to go into engineering so i thought making something would be a great idea. I came up the idea of making my own electric skateboard/booster board, completely making it from scratch (doing everything- welding etc...) would this be a good idea and would i get a high grade?
Many thanks if you reply or help
kind regards
Finlay

Scroll to see replies

I think with EPQ a lot of marks are focused on research so it would be better to research something on how to make a skateboard then apply it to your artefact. You will still need to write a 1000 word essay though.
The passion would be evident with this idea, for sure. However, I feel as if the idea is lacking substance. Ask yourself "Why?"...

For Engineering, if you wanted to construct something from scratch, I would suggest you have a reason behind it that makes the examiner think...

For example, making an affordable means of transport without the use of fossil fuels. Doing a renewable energy project and illustrating how important renewable energy is to society and for the future would be an excellent idea.

Or perhaps a Life-Hack project...I hear they do exceptionally well with the examiners as they have a purpose...

Good Luck
Original post by finlayed
hi
i have to do my epq during my a levels and hate the thought of writing a full on 5000 word essay and i am wanting to go into engineering so i thought making something would be a great idea. I came up the idea of making my own electric skateboard/booster board, completely making it from scratch (doing everything- welding etc...) would this be a good idea and would i get a high grade?
kind regards
Finlay

It sounds like a good idea to me but I wouldn't really be qualified to say - when planning my EPQ was was intending to write an essay! Is there anyone you can ask at your school/college? Seems relevant and very creative, definitely a good starting point :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by JamesLeo1
The passion would be evident with this idea, for sure. However, I feel as if the idea is lacking substance. Ask yourself "Why?"...

For Engineering, if you wanted to construct something from scratch, I would suggest you have a reason behind it that makes the examiner think...

For example, making an affordable means of transport without the use of fossil fuels. Doing a renewable energy project and illustrating how important renewable energy is to society and for the future would be an excellent idea.

Or perhaps a Life-Hack project...I hear they do exceptionally well with the examiners as they have a purpose...

Good Luck

so how do you think i could turn this into a life hack project?
thanks for your help and quick reply!
so how do you think i could turn this into a life hack project?
thanks for your help and quick reply!

I would go with the basic foundation that whatever I construct will make someone's life easier. So if transport is the topic you want to go with, whether it be skateboards or something else, I would suggest it would have to be original.

I'm guessing you have already seen him, but if not, I would recommend watching Casey Neistat, a popular youtuber, who frequently tests out turbo-skateboards and gives his analysis on them, and how they make his life easier. I'd study him and his vlogs for a bit so you can make an informed decision.

If I were in your shoes, I would work on something nearly everyone has, and explore ways to improve it and eradicate the flaws.

Good Luck
Reply 6
I would go with the basic foundation that whatever I construct will make someone's life easier. So if transport is the topic you want to go with, whether it be skateboards or something else, I would suggest it would have to be original.

I'm guessing you have already seen him, but if not, I would recommend watching Casey Neistat, a popular youtuber, who frequently tests out turbo-skateboards and gives his analysis on them, and how they make his life easier. I'd study him and his vlogs for a bit so you can make an informed decision.

If I were in your shoes, I would work on something nearly everyone has, and explore ways to improve it and eradicate the flaws.

Good Luck

yes i have watched Casey's videos and they are great for what I'm doing. So do you think that the skateboard is a good idea or should i look at changing and eradicating the flaws in something else?
thanks for the reply
I done a Engineering EPQ when I was in college last year. I done mine on comparing Electric Hybrid Cars vs Generic petrol cars and researching wheather or not moving to hybrid was a good thing. I got an B in my EPQ. When applying for uni, I was asked to bring My EPQ when I had my interview and they all loved it. Thanks to that I am Now that I’m currently studying Mechanical Engineering!!!
Reply 8
Original post by Azizul98
I done a Engineering EPQ when I was in college last year. I done mine on comparing Electric Hybrid Cars vs Generic petrol cars and researching wheather or not moving to hybrid was a good thing. I got an B in my EPQ. When applying for uni, I was asked to bring My EPQ when I had my interview and they all loved it. Thanks to that I am Now that I’m currently studying Mechanical Engineering!!!

ah nice, thanks for the idea because i could include that when i doing research and talking about my epq!
great idea and thank your for the reply :smile:
My friend did a model for hers. The research aspect came to light in her 1000 word essay that has to accompany model-based EPQs. You also do a 5-20 minute presentation on your EPQ as part of the Marks, which is also how you demonstrate your research.
hi
kind regards
Finlay

If you hate the thought of doing it, then don't bother. It confers no advantage at most top universities. Most of mine don't even consider it
hi
kind regards
Finlay

It could be a good idea if you could pull it off. Do you have the requisite practical experience?
yes i have watched Casey's videos and they are great for what I'm doing. So do you think that the skateboard is a good idea or should i look at changing and eradicating the flaws in something else?
thanks for the reply

In my opinion, you've got 2 options...

1. The Unique Way: Do the Skateboard idea, but you must communicate your passion in an unorthodox way, show them that this isn't just some silly idea you thought up in your bedroom, and that this is the future of transport.

or

2. The Normal Way: Completely reinvent something and explain that whatever you have done to improve this, is something that should be on the market.

If you want my honest opinion, these examiners will be flicking through EPQs and will be seeing the same thing, and will get bored. Do something that will ignite their inner child, show them that imagination plays a big part in engineering, people just haven't discovered it yet.
Reply 13
hi
kind regards
Finlay

Write the 5000 words, it’s good practice for when you go to uni.
Reply 14
Original post by sportyegg
My friend did a model for hers. The research aspect came to light in her 1000 word essay that has to accompany model-based EPQs. You also do a 5-20 minute presentation on your EPQ as part of the Marks, which is also how you demonstrate your research.

thanks for that, didn't realise you had to do a presentation but I'm sure i will be fine... famous last words XD
just out of curiosity what did your friend get on her epq ?
thanks for that, didn't realise you had to do a presentation but I'm sure i will be fine... famous last words XD
just out of curiosity what did your friend get on her epq ?

We did our presentations the week we broke up for xmas half term, (so basically last week), hence we haven’t got our results yet. But both of us have been said to get an A* - so probably an A* for her :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Kyber Ninja
If you hate the thought of doing it, then don't bother. It confers no advantage at most top universities. Most of mine don't even consider it

They didn't consider your epq because you made something and wrote 1000 words instead of 5000 and were you applying to do an engineering course at uni?
many thanks :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
In my opinion, you've got 2 options...

1. The Unique Way: Do the Skateboard idea, but you must communicate your passion in an unorthodox way, show them that this isn't just some silly idea you thought up in your bedroom, and that this is the future of transport.

or

2. The Normal Way: Completely reinvent something and explain that whatever you have done to improve this, is something that should be on the market.

If you want my honest opinion, these examiners will be flicking through EPQs and will be seeing the same thing, and will get bored. Do something that will ignite their inner child, show them that imagination plays a big part in engineering, people just haven't discovered it yet.

i was thinking of doing the first one. Do you think this is a good way to grab their attention or shall i think of something different to ignite their inner child?
Reply 18
Original post by georgem93
Write the 5000 words, it’s good practice for when you go to uni.

good practice even if I'm looking at mechanical engineering?
thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 19
good practice even if I'm looking at mechanical engineering?
thanks for the reply :smile:

Every degree has essay writing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest