The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paul514
No worries then I can’t be arsed to do it myself for someone who doesn’t have the capacity to use google.

You're literally the problem.

Making statements of fact then refusing to give any evidence.
The fact remains that the vast majority of people claiming benefits are entitled to it. Benefits is a good thing. It's just that people fixate on the tiny population of people misusing the system. People need to get their heads out of their ***es and look at the bigger picture.
Original post by Mister Fantastic

Well, if they are statements of fact, then he doesn't need to give evidence. He has considerable knowledge of the Benefits system as do many of us who know what we are talking about and who don't spend time bashing specific groups in society based on **** they hear or read on the media. The majority of people who are on benefits are entitled to what they get and they are not answerable to you or anyone else how they choose to spend their income. There will always be people who misuse the system and sadly, this is what people focus on. There is more revenue lost in this country through tax evasion, white collar/corporate crime than through benefit fraud.
Maybe you and those who think like you think we should go back to the days of the Poor Law and before the introduction of the Welfare State.
Original post by tamilk
The fact remains that the vast majority of people claiming benefits are entitled to it. Benefits is a good thing. It's just that people fixate on the tiny population of people misusing the system. People need to get their heads out of their ***es and look at the bigger picture.

Yes, but they don't want to look at the bigger picture because then they wouldn't have anything to complain about.

Thanks for realising it’s a statement of fact.

Can’t write a sentence properly and can’t use google. Class
Original post by Seamus123
Well, if they are statements of fact, then he doesn't need to give evidence. He has considerable knowledge of the Benefits system as do many of us who know what we are talking about and who don't spend time bashing specific groups in society based on **** they hear or read on the media. The majority of people who are on benefits are entitled to what they get and they are not answerable to you or anyone else how they choose to spend their income. There will always be people who misuse the system and sadly, this is what people focus on. There is more revenue lost in this country through tax evasion, white collar/corporate crime than through benefit fraud.
Maybe you and those who think like you think we should go back to the days of the Poor Law and before the introduction of the Welfare State.

Maybe they should decrease the surplus population.......

Now where have I heard that before? 🤨
What is going to happen when artificial intelligence takes most of the jobs as predicted in the next 20-30 years?

I can't see how universal basic income is going to work.

This us all worrying to be honest for the future as there is a lot of uncertainty.
Original post by iodo345
What is going to happen when artificial intelligence takes most of the jobs as predicted in the next 20-30 years?

I can't see how universal basic income is going to work.

This us all worrying to be honest for the future as there is a lot of uncertainty.

The tax system will change, I don’t know how but it’s the only solution
Original post by paul514
The tax system will change, I don’t know how but it’s the only solution

Yeah but do you think politicians or those in charge actually care about mass unemployment or handling the issue?

They can't even sort out Brexit or the immigration crisis so it all seems to be a bit of a dystopian future at the minute.
Original post by iodo345
Yeah but do you think politicians or those in charge actually care about mass unemployment or handling the issue?

They can't even sort out Brexit or the immigration crisis so it all seems to be a bit of a dystopian future at the minute.

If they want to be elected they will yea
Original post by paul514
Thanks for realising it’s a statement of fact.

Can’t write a sentence properly and can’t use google. Class

Well, we're not all as clever as you.
Well, we're not all as clever as you.

Clearly mr sarcastic
The simple solution is to eliminate all benefits. Encourage people to stand on their own two feet and give them their freedom back. The current system just creates a dependency culture.
Original post by Alpha boy
The simple solution is to eliminate all benefits. Encourage people to stand on their own two feet and give them their freedom back. The current system just creates a dependency culture.

Well, that wasn't a troll post at all :flute:
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Well, that wasn't a troll post at all :flute:

Predictable response from someone who does not like alternative views.

Dependency culture is a very real thing and does not just cost the taxpayer, but also harms those who choose such a course of life. As we have seen in the last few years many perfectly able people have reentered the workforce simply because the Conservative Party made benefit claims more stringent. The result is higher income, better health and personal pride for these individuals. It is no surprise that so many from the lower social classes voted Conservative in the last election.

We need to take things further and remove all benefits.

https://www.libertarianism.org/columns/libertarianism-poor

Dependency culture is a very real thing and does not just cost the taxpayer, but also harms those who choose such a course of life. As we have seen in the last few years many perfectly able people have reentered the workforce simply because the Conservative Party made benefit claims more stringent. The result is higher income, better health and personal pride for these individuals. It is no surprise that so many from the lower social classes voted Conservative in the last election.

So what do you propose we do with those that are physically unable to work or cannot find work due to various barriers that stop them from doing so??? There's a difference between an alternate view and plain f***wittery. A quick ctrl+F on the link you provided and searching the terms "disability" and "disabled" shows that neither term are mentioned to address this, therefore not worth reading and clear evidence that the author of the page is a moron.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
So what do you propose we do with those that are physically unable to work or cannot find work due to various barriers that stop them from doing so??? There's a difference between an alternate view and plain f***wittery.

As unfortunate as such health problems are, they are not my fault. Such individuals such rely on charity rather than expecting handouts from the state (i.e. taxpayers, i.e. the small minority including myself who are forced to contribute more than our fair share to this country).
As unfortunate as such health problems are, they are not my fault. Such individuals such rely on charity rather than expecting handouts from the state (i.e. taxpayers, i.e. the small minority including myself who are forced to contribute more than our fair share to this country).

So "As long as I'm unaffected then I don't give a f*** if the underprivileged and unfortunate are left to rot" is literally the logic that drives your view. This not the way any first-world country operates. Do you see why I can easily assume that you're just a troll?
(edited 6 years ago)
There's definitely a stereotype but I believe all stereotypes stem from a bit of common fact. The few people I know on benefits shouldn't be on them and it's insulting to those who work and the tax payer, which understandably angers the ones who know them and tax payers in general, resulting in a general dislike. I have no issue with people who have disabilities and genuinely cannot work receiving benefits because that's what it's for! However, the benefits system is a mess and is easily exploited and that's what I personally hate. I dislike people who plan to live on benefits and never want to improve their lives and get out of it and contribute to society. I dislike women who sleep with the neighbourhood to have children they can't afford just to get more money. I personally believe that if you can't pay to have a child then you shouldn't have one until you're financially ready. If it's an accident then fair enough and they can receive benefits but to go on to have another kid is a kick to the teeth. An ex friend of mine wanted a family so bad that she got pregnant with an idiot, was shocked that he wasn't a good father and then has had another child with a new guy, all funded by us. She could've pursued a career or continued her education and then lived her family life style afterwards with her own money, but it seems nowadays, that's not what people aim for.

Do you believe in the communist concept of full employment?

Latest

Trending

Trending