The Student Room Group

Should any vaccines be required for children?

I have heard more and more of this lately. I personally think it should be required. What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucky10
I have heard more and more of this lately. I personally think it should be required. What do you think?

Definitely . The risk of not doing it are much greater.

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/reasons-to-have-your-child-vaccinated.aspx
https://www.vaccines.gov/more_info/features/five-important-reasons-to-vaccinate-your-child.html
Reply 3
Original post by Lucky10

I dont really know why a parent would like to take the risk to not give vaccines to their children (unless if that child is alergic to them).

Plus it is better for the NHS as it is cheaper to give the children vaccines than to treat an incredibly sick child who's been admitted to the ICU.
Original post by stoyfan
I dont really know why a parent would like to take the risk to not give vaccines to their children (unless if that child is alergic to them).

Plus it is better for the NHS as it is cheaper to give the children vaccines than to treat an incredibly sick child who's been admitted to the ICU.

Trump, the greatest doctor ever to live, disagrees :colonhash:
For the sake of herd immunity alone, yes.
Yup! If they go to a foreign country and bring back a disease, there could potentially be an outbreak. Also children are at school together so could also pass on the disease. However if the child is not vaccinated but all/most people around them are then they are also protected from it. I can’t remeber what this is called tho. You can’t pass on a disease if you fight it off
Reply 7
Should be compulsory for all who are able to receive them.
Yes
yeah i got them, what i do not like though is when they bring in people to school to give injections in the library..
Original post by LRxS
Should be compulsory for all who are able to receive them.

It sickens me that people want the state to be able to forcibly stick needles in children. It is an anti-freedom and anti-British perspective. Parents should get to decide whether their children get vaccines.
Reply 11
Original post by Alpha boy
It sickens me that people want the state to be able to forcibly stick needles in children. It is an anti-freedom and anti-British perspective. Parents should get to decide whether their children get vaccines.

God, you’re hilarious, you know?

Aren’t you the same chap who thinks Sadiq Khan can’t be mayor because he’s “not British” and isn’t a Christian?

Spoiler

I guess letting people without medical education decide that they’re fine with their kids dying of preventable disease is just SUCH an important British value!!

Oh no, if you “stick needles in children” it makes them cry a bit? Well, I suppose dead kids don’t cry, so maybe that’s your logic?

You can reply to me as much as you want, by the way, but I’m not going to reply back after this. You’re not worth my time.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes, by choosing not to vaccinate you put other children at risk who are unable to receive for valid reasons, such as being allergic
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
Trump, the greatest doctor ever to live, disagrees :colonhash:

That's because he's a nob.

Have you ever seen a child in the UK with polio, diptheria, Measles or any other contagious disease? I have. I was born in 1948, the year the NHS came in. I was in a children's home where children had polio, wore calipers on their legs, I attended the funerals of many children who died of diptheria and Measles.
I home educated my grandson. There were parents who wouldn't allow their children to be vaccinated. The majority of them were nutters and did not give their children's human rights a second thought.
Maybe when you have children of your own you will have more intelligent outlook.
Original post by LRxS
God, you’re hilarious, you know?

Aren’t you the same chap who thinks Sadiq Khan can’t be mayor because he’s “not British” and isn’t a Christian?

Spoiler

I guess letting people without medical education decide that they’re fine with their kids dying of preventable disease is just SUCH an important British value!!

Oh no, if you “stick needles in children” it makes them cry a bit? Well, I suppose dead kids don’t cry, so maybe that’s your logic?

You can reply to me as much as you want, by the way, but I’m not going to reply back after this. You’re not worth my time.

Thank you for your incoherent and angry response. You may wish to familiarise yourself with medical ethics. You won't find may doctors supporting forcible medication as the norm.
Reply 16
Thank you for your incoherent and angry response. You may wish to familiarise yourself with medical ethics. You won't find may doctors supporting forcible medication as the norm.

Since you appear to have misunderstood, I’m obliged to reply once more:

I fully understand the ethics, thank you very much. It doesn’t mean I don’t vehemently disagree with anti-vaccine rhetoric. I KNOW vaccines will not become compulsory and I KNOW why, doesn’t mean I have to like it. There’s also more depth to the ethics than simple autonomy; those that refuse vaccines for no good reason endanger others. This must be considered.
You may wish to familiarise yourself with medical ethics. You won't find may doctors supporting forcible medication as the norm.

I'm calling bs on that. Care to provide any evidence for your claim?
Original post by Duncan2012
I'm calling bs on that. Care to provide any evidence for your claim?

It is a fairly basic cornerstone of medical ethics. Here is what the BMA has to say:

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/ethics/medical-students-ethics-toolkit/2-autonomy-or-self-determination
Original post by LRxS
Since you appear to have misunderstood, I’m obliged to reply once more:

I fully understand the ethics, thank you very much. It doesn’t mean I don’t vehemently disagree with anti-vaccine rhetoric. I KNOW vaccines will not become compulsory and I KNOW why, doesn’t mean I have to like it. There’s also more depth to the ethics than simple autonomy; those that refuse vaccines for no good reason endanger others. This must be considered.

Can you point to were I have said I'm anti-vaccine? If not I will have to assume that reading comprehension is not your strong point. I'm not anti-vaccine, I simply opposed to compulsory vaccination.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending