The Student Room Group
Reply 1
This is everything wrong with ALevels in one post.

Learn the structure and the law you need for each topic. Then APPLY your knowledge to the scenario, which you may not have seen before.

Application of knowledge gets the A grades. Trying to trot out a memorised answer may lead to fewer marks as you might not answer the question you've been asked.
Original post by new1234
Hello,

For A Level Law unit 3 the last question requires an evaluative essay be wrote in 30 minutes. I have wrote a model answer which I have memorised completely. I tried to handwrite it all in 30 minutes and couldn't. All I could write was 720 words which is definitely too short! Please help! Any advice?

Haven:t they changed the law a levels? We had to memorise 3 potential essays when I did it last year for the law and morality section but most of the exam was scenarios and stuff. Be sure you are ready for whatever the exam throws at you. Going to have to cut the easy length if you can't fit it
Reply 3
Original post by Chichaldo
Haven:t they changed the law a levels? We had to memorise 3 potential essays when I did it last year for the law and morality section but most of the exam was scenarios and stuff. Be sure you are ready for whatever the exam throws at you. Going to have to cut the easy length if you can't fit it

I defer to your experience, I didn't do A-Level Law (fortunately). This sounds the most sensible way to go about it, and likely to satisfy the examiner making the marking easy by addressing points in turn. I'd forgotten about that!

Still, the principle of application of knowledge is what will get the top grades in my experience.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mimir
This is everything wrong with ALevels in one post.

Learn the structure and the law you need for each topic. Then APPLY your knowledge to the scenario, which you may not have seen before.

Application of knowledge gets the A grades. Trying to trot out a memorised answer may lead to fewer marks as you might not answer the question you've been asked.

The last question is not an application question. It is an evaluate the law question and there are 3 possible topics that can come up. So basically you write model answers and memorise them to get nearly full marks. Problem is not enough time unfortunately. If only it was an application question I find them much quicker to write.
Reply 5

No I'm still on the old spec doing A2. I'm specifically talking about the unit 3 paper the final question on evaluating the Law. For unit 4 you have a lot longer so I feel that might be slightly easier on timing but correct if I'm wrong as I haven't practiced a unit 4 paper in time conditions yet.

How long were your evaluative questions for 03 and concepts of law essays for 04?
Also, what do you mean by be ready for whatever the exam throws at you? Aren't these questions relatively predictable and easy to get high marks on?
Reply 6
Original post by new1234
The last question is not an application question. It is an evaluate the law question and there are 3 possible topics that can come up. So basically you write model answers and memorise them to get nearly full marks. Problem is not enough time unfortunately. If only it was an application question I find them much quicker to write.

See my followup reply 😀

Could you use bullet points towards the end?
Reply 7
Original post by Mimir
See my followup reply 😀

Could you use bullet points towards the end?

Hmm, I feel like these essays require discussion and so more detail so its difficult to write something short and meet the higher level of understanding. It marked based on levels of understanding shown (sound, clear, some) and in order to get sound a certain number of criticisms of the LAw must be discussed and some reforms must be discussed as well.
I dont think bullet points would work unfortunately. :/
It's quite annoying since I wrote a full mark answer and because I can't write fast enough I won't get full marks...
Original post by new1234
No I'm still on the old spec doing A2. I'm specifically talking about the unit 3 paper the final question on evaluating the Law. For unit 4 you have a lot longer so I feel that might be slightly easier on timing but correct if I'm wrong as I haven't practiced a unit 4 paper in time conditions yet.

How long were your evaluative questions for 03 and concepts of law essays for 04?
Also, what do you mean by be ready for whatever the exam throws at you? Aren't these questions relatively predictable and easy to get high marks on?

Yeah they are, I just meant for the rest of the exam. My memory is a little faded but so long as you cover everything in the potential content and fits in the time, whatever length that comes out as will suffice. Quality not quantity.
Be sure to be succinct and cut out any unnecessary content, flowery language gains no marks. Hit the specific issue in the law, why it is unfair, solution, why it is fairer, 4 short but clear statements (if that is the kind of question you are referring too).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Yeah they are, I just meant for the rest of the exam. My memory is a little faded but so long as you cover everything in the potential content and fits in the time, whatever length that comes out as will suffice. Quality not quantity.
Be sure to be succinct and cut out any unnecessary content, flowery language gains no marks. Hit the specific issue in the law, why it is unfair, solution, why it is fairer, 4 short but clear statements (if that is the kind of question you are referring too).

Would you mind taking a look at my essay?
Reply 10
Original post by new1234
I dont think bullet points would work unfortunately. :/...

How about if you did it like this (I'm going to take a judgement from Denning MR as a writing style. Essentially bullet points linked together)

Denning MR, Hinz v Berry

. It was bluebell time in Kent. Mr. and Mrs. Hinz had been married some 10 years, and they had four children, all aged nine and under. The youngest was one. Mrs. Hinz was a remarkable woman. In addition to her own four, she was foster-mother to four other children. To add to it, she was two months pregnant with her fifth child.

{Snip}

He awarded her oe4,000 on this head. There is no suggestion that he misdirected himself. We can only interfere if it is a wholly erroneous estimate. I do not think it is erroneous. I would dismiss the appeal.
Reply 11
Original post by Mimir
How about if you did it like this (I'm going to take a judgement from Denning MR as a writing style. Essentially bullet points linked together)

Possibly! I'll try that, thanks!
Original post by new1234
Would you mind taking a look at my essay?

Can do but I can't go through it as thoroughly as you could with a potential content sheet or handing it in to your teacher until you get a mark you are happy with. That is what I did for the questions which you could plan beforehand. Other than moral, we had two teachers and the one we had for that was not helpful lmao
Reply 13
Can do but I can't go through it as thoroughly as you could with a potential content sheet or handing it in to your teacher until you get a mark you are happy with. That is what I did for the questions which you could plan beforehand. Other than moral, we had two teachers and the one we had for that was not helpful lmao

Haha, that's fine! I have given it to a teacher already and I got full marks on it so you dont really need to have a look at the PC really just whether theres anything unnecessary that I can cut out. Should I email it to you?
What grade did you get if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by new1234
Haha, that's fine! I have given it to a teacher already and I got full marks on it so you dont really need to have a look at the PC really just whether theres anything unnecessary that I can cut out. Should I email it to you?
What grade did you get if you dont mind me asking?

Ah okay, teachers are good at cutting also, I wouldn't want to ask you to cut stuff that is credit worthy aha but if you can't fit it in a pm I can pm my email address. I got an A, currently at Notts studying law
Reply 15
Ah okay, teachers are good at cutting also, I wouldn't want to ask you to cut stuff that is credit worthy aha but if you can't fit it in a pm I can pm my email address. I got an A, currently at Notts studying law

Ahh wow! I've applied to study law also.
Original post by new1234
Ahh wow! I've applied to study law also.

Nice, where at?
Reply 17
Nice, where at?

Ive applied to UCL, KCL, and Warwick.
Original post by new1234
Hello,

For A Level Law unit 3 the last question requires an evaluative essay be wrote in 30 minutes. I have wrote a model answer which I have memorised completely. I tried to handwrite it all in 30 minutes and couldn't. All I could write was 720 words which is definitely too short! Please help! Any advice?

Hey if you still have your model answer please send them to me I really need help
Original post by fsdfesdfesdfeshf
Hey if you still have your model answer please send them to me I really need help

It’s better to PM a user directly rather than bump an old thread :smile: (though the OP hasn’t been online in almost a year now so I’m not sure you’ll get a response anyway)