The Student Room Group

Why should we improve ourselves?

Since we will never be 'the best version of ourselves', why bother slogging away in the gym/revising/eating healthy to achieve some unfulfilling aim? Why not just be content with what you are and what you do, and take life one day at a time instead of endless improvement?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Since we will never be 'the best version of ourselves', why bother slogging away in the gym/revising/eating healthy to achieve some unfulfilling aim? Why not just be content with what you are and what you do, and take life one day at a time instead of endless improvement?

What makes you say we will never be the best version of ourselves? Of course we can! I think you mean we cannot be the best version of ourselves in the present moment as we will strive to be a better version the next day.
What makes you think you can say that other people aren't content with what they have now? Just because doing those things makes you feel unfulfilled doesn't mean it is the same for others.
Reply 3
People have different meaning to being the "best". Some think that pleasing everyone is being the best, whilst others like to think that pleasing yourself is the best way to be. That doesn't mean that you're not "good enough".

Personally, I'd love to improve on pleasing myself more. :sexface:
Reply 4
What makes you say we will never be the best version of ourselves? Of course we can! I think you mean we cannot be the best version of ourselves in the present moment as we will strive to be a better version the next day.

what I meant by that was: perfection is impossible. So why reach for it? Why chase it constantly, every day and every day?
Reply 5
Original post by DrawTheLine
What makes you think you can say that other people aren't content with what they have now? Just because doing those things makes you feel unfulfilled doesn't mean it is the same for others.

granted. But the majority of people want to do better at what they do, be it their job/a sport/a musical instrument etc. The only people who are content are those who live in the forest !
Reply 6
Original post by Nana_
People have different meaning to being the "best". Some think that pleasing everyone is being the best, whilst others like to think that pleasing yourself is the best way to be. That doesn't mean that you're not "good enough".

Personally, I'd love to improve on pleasing myself more. :sexface:

But you will never reach 'the best'. So why bother?
Improvement doesn’t mean you’re reaching perfection. You just want to better yourself.
Reply 8
Original post by FloralLuxe
Improvement doesn’t mean you’re reaching perfection. You just want to better yourself.

what's the point in bettering yourself if there is no end point? There will always be things you can improve on, so why endlessly chase an infinite path when we only have a finite amount of time on earth?
Reply 9
It's not really about becoming the best, it's about becoming content with themselves and their life.
what's the point in bettering yourself if there is no end point? There will always be things you can improve on, so why endlessly chase an infinite path when we only have a finite amount of time on earth?

Some people just want to reach their full potential and there’s nothing wrong with that
Reply 11
But you will never reach 'the best'. So why bother?

No one can tell me that I can't reach my "best" apart from me, myself.
Original post by FloralLuxe
Some people just want to reach their full potential and there’s nothing wrong with that

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, I'm arguing it is futile: we will never reach our full potential as there are always things we could have done better
Original post by Integer
It's not really about becoming the best, it's about becoming content with themselves and their life.

When you say 'it', do you mean life?

If so, my argument follows: why not be content with what you have now?
Original post by Nana_
No one can tell me that I can't reach my "best" apart from me, myself.

ah, so everyone's own 'best' differs. We set our own standards.

What if you reach those standards? Do you set new ones? Does this cycle continue until you die?

You can be content whilst still trying to improve yourself. I think the question doesn't make sense. Everyone should try to improve themselves and be the best version of themselves. There's a different between that and goals for perfection. Some people are very ott and become obsessed but that means they're not doing it right.
Original post by Punjabichai93
You can be content whilst still trying to improve yourself. I think the question doesn't make sense. Everyone should try to improve themselves and be the best version of themselves. There's a different between that and goals for perfection. Some people are very ott and become obsessed but that means they're not doing it right.

How do you know when we reach our best version? Do we set our own standards?
Reply 17
ah, so everyone's own 'best' differs. We set our own standards.

What if you reach those standards? Do you set new ones? Does this cycle continue until you die?

Yes of course. I think everyone has their own standards but they often forget it due to peer pressure, or whichever circumstances they're in.

Life is an on-going journey which doesn't stop or stall so I think we all continue to set up new goals as we go. Most importantly, its not about being the best but also being content with what you have achieved in life.
Original post by Nana_
Yes of course. I think everyone has their own standards but they often forget it due to peer pressure, or whichever circumstances they're in.

Life is an on-going journey which doesn't stop or stall so I think we all continue to set up new goals as we go. Most importantly, its not about being the best but also being content with what you have achieved in life.

so should we improve ourselves for the sake of improvement? Or should we improve until we're content?
Reply 19
I don't think anyone improves themselves for the sake of improvement, although the reasons may be many. And being content is not something that happens when you "try", you can have anything or nothing in the world and still be content.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending