The Student Room Group

Should I withdraw my UCAS application?

I applied months ago (I was the first in my year group) to do Art at uni because I was so sure it was what I wanted to do.
I got an unconditional at one uni (and that boosted my confidence and went to my head a bit). So when I got rejected from my first choice, which I have wanted to go to for a very long time, it's fair to say I didn't take it well!
Now I'm unsure in my abilities. I'm convinced I will be rejected from my other choices, and even if I was accepted I no longer think I'm cut out to be an artist. I'm paranoid that the place that offered me the unconditional only did so because they're undersubscribed or whatever, and not because they actually like my artwork. Plus that uni is far from my first choice; I can't see myself there at all in comparison to the others.
What would you do? I'm so lost and I don't know whether I should wait for UCAS Extra to open and apply for something completely different just so I can go to my first choice uni? People are telling me this isn't such a good idea...
Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
I applied months ago (I was the first in my year group) to do Art at uni because I was so sure it was what I wanted to do.
I got an unconditional at one uni (and that boosted my confidence and went to my head a bit). So when I got rejected from my first choice, which I have wanted to go to for a very long time, it's fair to say I didn't take it well!
Now I'm unsure in my abilities. I'm convinced I will be rejected from my other choices, and even if I was accepted I no longer think I'm cut out to be an artist. I'm paranoid that the place that offered me the unconditional only did so because they're undersubscribed or whatever, and not because they actually like my artwork. Plus that uni is far from my first choice; I can't see myself there at all in comparison to the others.
What would you do? I'm so lost and I don't know whether I should wait for UCAS Extra to open and apply for something completely different just so I can go to my first choice uni? People are telling me this isn't such a good idea...
Any advice?

What feedback did you get with your rejection? Some universities put a basic reason on Track and some offer more detailed feedback on their applicant portal.

There’s no rush - it’s perfectly fine to wait for your other choices and go to visits/interviews for them before you decide what to do.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
What feedback did you get with your rejection? Some universities put a basic reason on Track and some offer more detailed feedback on their applicant portal.

There’s no rush - it’s perfectly fine to wait for your other choices and go to visits/interviews for them before you decide what to do.

They basically said that my portfolio wasn't good/right enough for them, which was a bit of a blow. I know everyone has individual tastes, but I just don't think that I should drastically changing my style and interests to suit that uni, because isn't that what being an artist is - creating your OWN art style? And I'm worried that the other unis will be of the same opinion (I know this is silly to try and predict, but it's hard when it's a rejection based on your skill rather than just being oversubscribed, etc).
They basically said that my portfolio wasn't good/right enough for them, which was a bit of a blow. I know everyone has individual tastes, but I just don't think that I should drastically changing my style and interests to suit that uni, because isn't that what being an artist is - creating your OWN art style? And I'm worried that the other unis will be of the same opinion (I know this is silly to try and predict, but it's hard when it's a rejection based on your skill rather than just being oversubscribed, etc).

Like you say you shouldn’t change your style. They’re not rejecting you or your art as “not good enough they’re saying it isn’t a good fit with what/how they teach.

Every university is different so a rejection from one is no indication that your other choices will make the same decision. It might be that they think you’re suited to a different course or pathway that isn’t available everywhere.

Are you applying from A level? If so it might be worth looking into art foundation diplomas as a backup. That would give you another year to experiment and develop your style and portfolio as well as finding out more about the different art degree courses available.

There’s no rush. Unfortunately creating art is going to involve a degree of rejection. You can’t (and shouldn’t) please everyone. Finding a degree course that suits your personal style and interests is the first step.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Like you say you shouldn’t change your style. They’re not rejecting you or your art as “not good enough they’re saying it isn’t a good fit with what/how they teach.

Every university is different so a rejection from one is no indication that your other choices will make the same decision. It might be that they think you’re suited to a different course or pathway that isn’t available everywhere.

Are you applying from A level? If so it might be worth looking into art foundation diplomas as a backup. That would give you another year to experiment and develop your style and portfolio as well as finding out more about the different art degree courses available.

There’s no rush. Unfortunately creating art is going to involve a degree of rejection. You can’t (and shouldn’t) please everyone. Finding a degree course that suits your personal style and interests is the first step.

Yeah I'm applying from A Level. I would love to do a foundation diploma, however this would be a bit difficult as I do not know where I will be living next year due to family circumstances (to enrol to a particular college). I was hoping (maybe naively) that I could get straight into uni and get into student halls so that I didn't have to worry about this. But thank you for your replies, they have been encouraging :smile:
Yeah I'm applying from A Level. I would love to do a foundation diploma, however this would be a bit difficult as I do not know where I will be living next year due to family circumstances (to enrol to a particular college). I was hoping (maybe naively) that I could get straight into uni and get into student halls so that I didn't have to worry about this. But thank you for your replies, they have been encouraging :smile:

You can apply to as many foundation diploma courses as you like - they’re not ucas level courses so if you have some ideas about where you might be living then go for all of them! If you get an offer for a degree at a university you like then you can withdraw from those applications and if not you have a backup option!

Which degree subject did you apply to (and which university rejected you?)?

I am sure that you will find the right fit of course for you...sometimes that might mean taking a more scenic route but then if that happens it means you can be more confident that you have made the right decision.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
You can apply to as many foundation diploma courses as you like - they’re not ucas level courses so if you have some ideas about where you might be living then go for all of them! If you get an offer for a degree at a university you like then you can withdraw from those applications and if not you have a backup option!

Which degree subject did you apply to (and which university rejected you?)?

I am sure that you will find the right fit of course for you...sometimes that might mean taking a more scenic route but then if that happens it means you can be more confident that you have made the right decision.

I didn't know you could apply to loads...I guess I just assumed you had to enrol to one by the start of the year-ish.

I applied to the University of Leeds to do Fine Art (BA), which I know is competitive. I was so wanting to go there (and I still REALLY do) - so much so that I'm considering all kinds of other courses that may go into UCAS Extra, such as Liberal Arts (BA) or Ancient History and History and Philosophy of Science (BA) (long name, I know!). But it seems silly to do a degree in something that I've not considered until, really, now.
I didn't know you could apply to loads...I guess I just assumed you had to enrol to one by the start of the year-ish.

I applied to the University of Leeds to do Fine Art (BA), which I know is competitive. I was so wanting to go there (and I still REALLY do) - so much so that I'm considering all kinds of other courses that may go into UCAS Extra, such as Liberal Arts (BA) or Ancient History and History and Philosophy of Science (BA) (long name, I know!). But it seems silly to do a degree in something that I've not considered until, really, now.

Ahhh Fine Art is tricky. You would have been competing against a lot of applicants with a foundation diploma.

Did you apply for the other universities in Leeds? Leeds Art Uni and Leeds Beckett are both great for art

You applied very early in the year. It might be worth asking whether Leeds in February/March whether they would consider an application through Extra and a second portfolio review. They might be willing to reconsider given that your portfolio was looked at months before most of the foundation diploma applicants even applied.

You have loads of time and options open to you though:yes:
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Ahhh Fine Art is tricky. You would have been competing against a lot of applicants with a foundation diploma.

Did you apply for the other universities in Leeds? Leeds Art Uni and Leeds Beckett are both great for art

You applied very early in the year. It might be worth asking whether Leeds in February/March whether they would consider an application through Extra and a second portfolio review. They might be willing to reconsider given that your portfolio was looked at months before most of the foundation diploma applicants even applied.

You have loads of time and options open to you though:yes:

Yeah I considered them both, but ultimately for different reasons they weren't for me.

That is a really good idea about asking for a second portfolio check - by that time I would have created more things (I already have since my interview). I doubt they'll have many - if any - spaces, but you never know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending