The Student Room Group

Drunk tanks could become the norm in towns and cities

Reply 1

I think this is a good idea.

We need solutions that keep those who shouldn't be in the A&E, out of the A&E and it seems that they have a solution that would work for the intoxicated.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Should just leave people who can't handle their drink, their own fault.
Reply 4
Not a completely new thing, the booze buses have been going on and off for years. Probably a necessary evil and could probably be better marketed as a more general night out advice and safety service too. I do think other strategies should be employed to prevent people getting so drunk they can't remotely look after themselves. Even after an Otley Run I always managed to stagger home relatively safely. In fact I thought the whole city centre binge drinking furore had died down a bit of late, until this..
I'm in support.

I have very little patience for grown adults who choose to drink themselves into oblivion and end up paralytic. I don't understand why these people suddenly become the responsibility of A&E departments. Even worse are the mouthy and disruptive drunks with minor injuries who don't need to be in A&E at 2am while intoxicated and end up taking up a great deal of staff time and attention because of their behavior.

I would also be in favor of clinician-issued fines for the above patients, assuming the NHS could put together a cost-effective means of enforcing said fines.
Reply 6
I hope the drunktards will be charged for using these facilities after they sober up
Original post by Etomidate
I have very little patience for grown adults who choose to drink themselves into oblivion and end up paralytic. I don't understand why these people suddenly become the responsibility of A&E departments. Even worse are the mouthy and disruptive drunks with minor injuries who don't need to be in A&E at 2am while intoxicated and end up taking up a great deal of staff time and attention because of their behavior.

I would also be in favor of clinician-issued fines for the above patients, assuming the NHS could put together a cost-effective means of enforcing said fines.

Original post by simon_g
I hope the drunktards will be charged for using these facilities after they sober up

This.
Can you imagine the arguing and fighting that would be going on in the tank.

They should film it and sell the recordings to worldstar to recoup some of the costs
(edited 6 years ago)
It's a good idea, but it's bittersweet. The fact that British people can't handle their drink, and it almost seems to be encouraged to drink until you need to go to A&E, is shameful. More should be done to discourage heavy drinking or maybe make these idiots think about whether they actually need to be admitted or not getting so drunk that they injure themselves. -_- Either way, these 'drunk tanks' require nurses to monitor them so it's still using up NHS resources!
If you can't handle your drink without getting overly drunk and aggressive don't drink or even better stay at home where you are less of a public nuisance

More personal responsibility needs to be taken by individuals themselves this behaviour is encouraged as pubs/clubs make a load of money of 24/7 binge drinking culture.
(edited 6 years ago)
Never understood drinking until you pretty much pass out, you may as well throw your money down a toilet.
Original post by simon_g

Yeah, this.

In general, you should be able to get as out of your mind wasted as you want, but you should not then expect the taxpayer to pay to look after you.

Repeat visitors at least should definitely wake up to an invoice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending