The Student Room Group

How accurate are the sizes in New Look?

I want to order a few things but I'm a bit worried about the sizing. Are they true to size? :s-smilie:

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM:

Official New Look Size Guide

15% off all New Look orders here: https://www.newlook.com/uk/discount-...rewardcarddist
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Newlook sizing are usually true to size. If you shop from Topshop, I've noticed Newlook sizing are slightly larger when it comes to jeans.
I've ordered clothes from New Look and I've never had any issues with sizing. I'm a medium and it's always been the right fit. I am a male though so it may differ from female sizing reliability.
If you know your sizes which you bought from local stores for a branded one then you don't need to worry about sizes for online purchase. Brands have very clear size charts and rare case to be differ.
It's generally pretty good, occasionally running slightly off but nothing extreme.
Reply 5
Original post by ellie0497
Newlook sizing are usually true to size. If you shop from Topshop, I've noticed Newlook sizing are slightly larger when it comes to jeans.

Original post by CTLevers
I've ordered clothes from New Look and I've never had any issues with sizing. I'm a medium and it's always been the right fit. I am a male though so it may differ from female sizing reliability.

Original post by CharlotteSanders
If you know your sizes which you bought from local stores for a branded one then you don't need to worry about sizes for online purchase. Brands have very clear size charts and rare case to be differ.

Original post by chelseadagg3r
It's generally pretty good, occasionally running slightly off but nothing extreme.

Thank you guys :smile:
If you're going to return anything, do it fast. New Look was touch and go to shut down just before Christmas, and it probably won't last much longer.
Original post by Trinculo
If you're going to return anything, do it fast. New Look was touch and go to shut down just before Christmas, and it probably won't last much longer.

Damn, really? :s-smilie: I didn't realise they were doing so badly financially!
Original post by CTLevers
Damn, really? :s-smilie: I didn't realise they were doing so badly financially!

It was a surprise to a lot of people in commercial property that they didn't go down.

New Look are in the market for cheap clothes for young women. They're not stacking it high or selling it as cheap as Primark, and they don't have the middle class branding of H&M.

Because of this, they absolutely cannot compete with the likes of Boohoo and Misguided who are selling it better, cheaper, have invested very smartly with marketing and are just killing New Look with all their estates and staff overheads.

Hollister / A&F is on life support, Jack Wills will probably go back to being mail order. TopShop and River Island I think will survive.

The physical shop that's killing it is Brandy Melville as they can keep their inventories really low and logs chain short.
It was a surprise to a lot of people in commercial property that they didn't go down.

New Look are in the market for cheap clothes for young women. They're not stacking it high or selling it as cheap as Primark, and they don't have the middle class branding of H&M.

Because of this, they absolutely cannot compete with the likes of Boohoo and Misguided who are selling it better, cheaper, have invested very smartly with marketing and are just killing New Look with all their estates and staff overheads.

Hollister / A&F is on life support, Jack Wills will probably go back to being mail order. TopShop and River Island I think will survive.

The physical shop that's killing it is Brandy Melville as they can keep their inventories really low and logs chain short.

Completely off thread but that was really interesting to read! Though I would be sad if new look did go under as it’s one of my preferred “physical” shops.

They have just opened a Jack Wills store where I (used to) live, seems a weird decision and even more so knowing how badly they’re doing. It’s always empty in there, even on Boxing Day with the sales.
i advise you to go to the New Look store and try on things to test it out and then whilst you are 100% sure, you can start ordering!
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Completely off thread but that was really interesting to read! Though I would be sad if new look did go under as it’s one of my preferred “physical” shops.

They have just opened a Jack Wills store where I (used to) live, seems a weird decision and even more so knowing how badly they’re doing. It’s always empty in there, even on Boxing Day with the sales.

One thing you can say about Jack Wills is that they’re not stupid. I think it’s pretty much a given that they knew their lifespan was going to be limited. At their height they were taking up to premium sites but in short leases and I don’t think they ever got tied into long contracts in shopping malls. They released a lot of their sites as soon as the writing was on the wall. This is in contrast to Superdry who seemed are almost exactly the same model as JW. Both are West Country high end young people retail that are kind of pretending to have branding that doesn’t really exist. JW pretend to be this ultimate rah brand within a brand and Superdry pretend to be Japanese. Critically- Superdry went into the shopping malls and even took over a lease or two from JW like their Islington store. If JW couldn’t make the site work, why on earth would Superdry make it work?

I think All Saints will go. Too expensive and limited appeal.
Echo what everyone else said, New Look is pretty true to size.

Woah what, do you have any sources for this? New Look is my favourite shop!
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Echo what everyone else said, New Look is pretty true to size.

Woah what, do you have any sources for this? New Look is my favourite shop!

I’ve been working in a firm that works for commercial property firms- so a lot of it is industry talk- but if you look up “new look slump” there are a few newspaper articles about their profits lately
One thing you can say about Jack Wills is that they’re not stupid. I think it’s pretty much a given that they knew their lifespan was going to be limited. At their height they were taking up to premium sites but in short leases and I don’t think they ever got tied into long contracts in shopping malls. They released a lot of their sites as soon as the writing was on the wall. This is in contrast to Superdry who seemed are almost exactly the same model as JW. Both are West Country high end young people retail that are kind of pretending to have branding that doesn’t really exist. JW pretend to be this ultimate rah brand within a brand and Superdry pretend to be Japanese. Critically- Superdry went into the shopping malls and even took over a lease or two from JW like their Islington store. If JW couldn’t make the site work, why on earth would Superdry make it work?

I think All Saints will go. Too expensive and limited appeal.

That’s interesting, the particular JW that has opened in the shopping mall I think is either where superdry used to be or directly next to it. I wonder how long it will stay open.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
That’s interesting, the particular JW that has opened in the shopping mall I think is either where superdry used to be or directly next to it. I wonder how long it will stay open.

They do sometimes do pop-ups at Christmas. If the walls aren't particularly well decorated, they don't intend to stay long.
Original post by eggyeol
I want to order a few things but I'm a bit worried about the sizing. Are they true to size? :s-smilie:

Their jeans are quite weird size but their tops and dresses should be fine. I'm usually an 8 in jeans but in new look I had to buy a 12. That being said I have quite small hips but fairly long legs
They seem pretty true to size (I'm a size 6 to 8 and everything I own from New Look is a 6 or 8 depending on how loose I want the fit) on basic tops, dresses and trousers. The only thing I've found is that the waist on things is quite big, When I've been trying to find crop tops a 6 might fit my chest but it's baggy on the waist. Same with skirts, I got a size 6 petite one and it's too big, so if you like fitted waists then go down a size (unless you're a 6 in which case...you can't)

Uh-ho! Looks like I need to spend my New Look gift cards, incase they stop accepting them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
Everything I ordered fits perfectly woo :biggrin:

Thanks again guys

Quick Reply