The Student Room Group

Bengali girl with chill parents, ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Just a polite clarification, but tbh aren't real bengalis Hindus not neccasarily from Bdesh but India and practising the bengali cultures and that. How are Bdesh muslim bengalis diff but bengalis I don't get it :/

She’s clearly not a real Bengali. She’s Bangladeshi. Yes you are right the real Bengalis are from India and are therefore Indian nationals of Bengali ethnicity, the majority of West Bengalis (from Calcutta) are Hindus, there are other religions but to a much lesser extent.
Reply 41
Original post by JDieMstr
Ah I see. So...which part of BD are ye from? Sylhet?Dhaka?

Dhaka
Reply 42
Just a polite clarification, but tbh aren't real bengalis Hindus not neccasarily from Bdesh but India and practising the bengali cultures and that. How are Bdesh muslim bengalis diff but bengalis I don't get it :/

Can you please rephrase that sorry I didn’t understand
Reply 43
Original post by Sarahalishajahan
She’s clearly not a real Bengali. She’s Bangladeshi. Yes you are right the real Bengalis are from India and are therefore Indian nationals of Bengali ethnicity, the majority of West Bengalis (from Calcutta) are Hindus, there are other religions but to a much lesser extent.

Yes you are correct I am Bangladeshi (I am from Bangladesh). I didn’t realise there’s a different meaning to Bengali because most people say Bengali although they are from Bangladesh
Original post by Sarahalishajahan

I always thought that what is now Bangladesh was part Bengal before the partition. .. Guess my dodgy history knowledge has failed me.
Reply 45
Original post by ChallengeLover
I always thought that what is now Bangladesh was part Bengal before the partition. .. Guess my dodgy history knowledge has failed me.

I think you’re correct actually

True, but after Bangladesh became independent, the group of people who moved there began to be called Bangladeshis and the ones staying on the Indian side became Bengalis..primarily also because of their language while Bangladeshis have a different dialect.

Its like comparing a English guy from London with someone from the East-End or having a Cockney accent— don’t think they would like it :tongue:
Original post by browngal
I think you’re correct actually

Question- Have you ever had the classical "fish" joke fired at you and if so, how annoying is it? (I always get the curry one for being Pakistani and it's lovely to know that some people think I'm worth the £10 they pay for a spiceless curry at their unless Bob's takeaway)
True, but after Bangladesh became independent, the group of people who moved there began to be called Bangladeshis and the ones staying on the Indian side became Bengalis..primarily also because of their language while Bangladeshis have a different dialect.

Its like comparing a English guy from London with someone from the East-End or having a Cockney accent— don’t think they would like it :tongue:

Ooooh I see. Thank you for clearing that up for me
Reply 49
Question- Have you ever had the classical "fish" joke fired at you and if so, how annoying is it? (I always get the curry one for being Pakistani and it's lovely to know that some people think I'm worth the £10 they pay for a spiceless curry at their unless Bob's takeaway)

Nope never had someone say the fish joke to me but I have heard of it
Let me guess you’re into white guys?
Original post by browngal
Nope never had someone say the fish joke to me but I have heard of it

A very rare circumstance for someone to have not had that joke used against them. Lucky you...
Reply 52
A very rare circumstance for someone to have not had that joke used against them. Lucky you...

Yeah but it’s probably because there’s a few of us where I live so it’s hard to make fun of a whole group
Reply 53
Original post by FloralLuxe
Let me guess you’re into white guys?

Into both brown and white
Rah that's mad, i'd love to have chill Bengali parents. You are living :eek:. Lol
Good for you I guess?
Reply 56
Rah that's mad, i'd love to have chill Bengali parents. You are living :eek:. Lol

Ahaha, listening to other bengalis talk about their parents does make me grateful
What made you leave Islam?
Reply 58
Original post by gigi77774
Good for you I guess?

Thanks?
Reply 59
Original post by Perfection Ace
What made you leave Islam?

Never practiced it and it never interested me so I thought it’s better to leave it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending