The Student Room Group

Do not pick GCSE Art. Please.

I love drawing, I also love the fact that art is a creativity outlet that can calm you down and make you feel happy. This however is NOT GCSE art. When I first wanted to pick the option in year 9 I was very glad to hear my teacher say that she would give us themes and we can draw whatever we want to around that particular theme.

I'm now in year 11 and this is not true at all. Every term we get 3 really boring and abstract artists to 'study.' What art means by study is copy their work, create a presentation on them and then take pictures to create an art piece in their style. This repeats through all of year 10 and 11. It's hell, if you're not good at ONE of the styles your grade will suffer a lot.

Not only is that a factor in your final grade but also ANNOTATION. let me explain why this is utter crap. If you draw this amazing art piece that is incredibly skillful and detailed but you have not annotated it, I'm sorry buddy the most you can expect is a C or a D. This may not sound bad but think about it like this: Say you've drawn the most wonderful art work your school has ever seen and not annotated it saying how it links back to those crappy abstract artists you don't care about. Now let's take a look at a student who's drawn a pile of crap but has fully annotated it. Guess who gets a better grade? Yup the crappy art with annotation. Art is also one of those subjects you REALLY have to love or you will crumble down into a depressed state like me. I love art, just not like this.

I could tell you how many hours I've poured into art pieces that have made me cry because of how much I hated doing them but I'm sure you'd rather hear more reasons for not picking GCSE Art. Here's another fact, do you like drawing anime or manga? Well you can forget the art GCSE then. Teachers WILL shame you for even mentioning it.

So there you have it. The truth about Art as a GCSE. Please don't take it unless art is necessary for your career. Save yourself.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Art was one of my favourite subject at GCSE, yes there is a lot of hoop jumping but that is with all subjects that are examined. I studied it at A level (enjoyed it less at a level because it was more stress but wouldnt have wanted to do a different subject) and now am doing something art based at uni, some people will like the way it is taught at GCSE and some won't. My friend who was good at art dropped it because they found it restricting whereas i liked having that direction and focus. Most of the people who hate GCSE are the ones who are shocked by the workload because they pick it as a 'soft' option.
Reply 2
I like art, fortunately I didn't do GSCE's haha
Original post by CoolCavy
Art was one of my favourite subject at GCSE, yes there is a lot of hoop jumping but that is with all subjects that are examined. I studied it at A level (enjoyed it less at a level because it was more stress but wouldnt have wanted to do a different subject) and now am doing something art based at uni, some people will like the way it is taught at GCSE and some won't. My friend who was good at art dropped it because they found it restricting whereas i liked having that direction and focus. Most of the people who hate GCSE are the ones who are shocked by the workload because they pick it as a 'soft' option.

I agree however it was the limiting factor of freedom that ticked me off rather than the workload, if it was something I enjoyed I would have loved to do it at home. This is true for my favourite subject Media, just to list an example. Thanks for your input!
Can vouch for this, did Photography at GCSE. Nobody cares how good you are with a camera; what you take a picture of; how good you are on photoshop.

Can you make a similar piece of work by some random artist and can you talk about the differences and similarities. The coursework is just showing how you went from your mood board to your final pieces and annotate everything you do. The exam is literally the same thing but can you do it in a different book in a shorter time, given a theme you choose and plan for?

Got an A in photography GCSE didn't even hand in my coursework and it was meant to be moderated. Best thing about Photography was that I could watch Twitch live streams during every lesson and go on trips to take pictures.

This probably goes for some other Art&Design GCSEs too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GUMI
I like art, fortunately I didn't do GSCE's haha

Honestly I think self taught artists have the best time :P
Original post by LockedVoice
I agree however it was the limiting factor of freedom that ticked me off rather than the workload, if it was something I enjoyed I would have loved to do it at home. This is true for my favourite subject Media, just to list an example. Thanks for your input!

That makes sense and is something i respect, at a level there is a lot more freedom but there is a lot more work so that sort of counters that, and yeh that's partly why i didn't mind the workload as i would have done art at home anyway. No worries :smile: good luck with all your GCSEs and your media
i feel like i could've written this post !! i felt the EXACT SAME WAY !! my biggest pet peeve about art GCSE is that they attempted so hard to teach it like a traditional academic subject, that it poured all the imagination and creativity out of it. i absolutely hated producing studies of other artists' work. why would i want to draw or paint like someone else?

i worked really really hard for art, poured in hours. i was such a perfectionist that it took me ages to complete the work. i ended up getting an E instead of an A*, no joke. not going to lie, sometimes i wished i'd just buckled down and gotten on with it, because now if anyone looks at my GCSEs it just looks as if I'm terrible at art - which is quite the contrary. however, ive tried to forget about all the pains and trauma of art GCSE now :smile: good luck with it!
Original post by Mikasadoge
Can vouch for this, did Photography at GCSE. Nobody cares how good you are with a camera; what you take a picture of; how good you are on photoshop.

Can you make a similar piece of work by some random artist and can you talk about the differences and similarities. The coursework is just showing how you went from your mood board to your final pieces and annotate everything you do. The exam is literally the same thing but can you do it in a different book in a shorter time, given a theme you choose and plan for?

Got an A in photography GCSE didn't even hand in my coursework and it was meant to be moderated. Best thing about Photography was that I could watch Twitch live streams during every lesson and go on trips to take pictures.

This probably goes for some other Art&Design GCSEs too.

Yeah it's very similar to that! I don't have a photography course in my school however Media is pretty much the alternative. I love the subject however we do get judged on things like how well the shot composition is and stuff like that. Inspiration from other photographers and annotations will still obviously give us higher marks though! ^^
Original post by ashaxo99
i feel like i could've written this post !! i felt the EXACT SAME WAY !! my biggest pet peeve about art GCSE is that they attempted so hard to teach it like a traditional academic subject, that it poured all the imagination and creativity out of it. i absolutely hated producing studies of other artists' work. why would i want to draw or paint like someone else?

i worked really really hard for art, poured in hours. i was such a perfectionist that it took me ages to complete the work. i ended up getting an E instead of an A*, no joke. not going to lie, sometimes i wished i'd just buckled down and gotten on with it, because now if anyone looks at my GCSEs it just looks as if I'm terrible at art - which is quite the contrary. however, ive tried to forget about all the pains and trauma of art GCSE now :smile: good luck with it!

Yeah I feel the same way currently however I'm basically just doing what my teacher asks me because I've given up with trying to be original lol. Never works out.
I love drawing, I also love the fact that art is a creativity outlet that can calm you down and make you feel happy. This however is NOT GCSE art. When I first wanted to pick the option in year 9 I was very glad to hear my teacher say that she would give us themes and we can draw whatever we want to around that particular theme.

I'm now in year 11 and this is not true at all. Every term we get 3 really boring and abstract artists to 'study.' What art means by study is copy their work, create a presentation on them and then take pictures to create an art piece in their style. This repeats through all of year 10 and 11. It's hell, if you're not good at ONE of the styles your grade will suffer a lot.

Not only is that a factor in your final grade but also ANNOTATION. let me explain why this is utter crap. If you draw this amazing art piece that is incredibly skillful and detailed but you have not annotated it, I'm sorry buddy the most you can expect is a C or a D. This may not sound bad but think about it like this: Say you've drawn the most wonderful art work your school has ever seen and not annotated it saying how it links back to those crappy abstract artists you don't care about. Now let's take a look at a student who's drawn a pile of crap but has fully annotated it. Guess who gets a better grade? Yup the crappy art with annotation. Art is also one of those subjects you REALLY have to love or you will crumble down into a depressed state like me. I love art, just not like this.

I could tell you how many hours I've poured into art pieces that have made me cry because of how much I hated doing them but I'm sure you'd rather hear more reasons for not picking GCSE Art. Here's another fact, do you like drawing anime or manga? Well you can forget the art GCSE then. Teachers WILL shame you for even mentioning it.

So there you have it. The truth about Art as a GCSE. Please don't take it unless art is necessary for your career. Save yourself.

I completely agree . *clapping*
yeah it was pretty awful, was a major procrastinator and ended up doing my hw at 3am.. and i got angry at the lack of freedom so i did my own thing for my last book. got an A* too. but i knew what i was getting into, and for gcse level i was kind of OK with the restrictions, helped me improve my drawing skills

i would only do it if you're taking it for a levels. which i am
(edited 6 years ago)
Nothing destroys someone's passion for academia/arts quite like secondary school. I can only think of one subject at school that really made me enjoy it more, everything else was aids
Original post by somemightsay888
Nothing destroys someone's passion for academia/arts quite like secondary school. I can only think of one subject at school that really made me enjoy it more, everything else was aids

Yeah, the only thing that I can think of that gave me a slight glimmer of hope was the fact that I got better at painting. But other than that it really made me question why I like art for a while. I'm not going to give up on art though it just won't take it as an Alevel
I’m 20 now but I remember doing art and GCSE and A level..

Honestly, it just drains the creativity out of you! You have to constantly draw and it results in creative block and frustration and then stress which is never good. It’s especially worse as you have all your other subjects to revise for too!

I’d say ONLY do art if you are truly truly passionate about it and want to persue a career in it. Otherwise it will not only drain you but will jepardise how well you do in your other subjects.

If you draw this amazing art piece that is incredibly skillful and detailed but you have not annotated it, I'm sorry buddy the most you can expect is a C or a D. This may not sound bad but think about it like this: Say you've drawn the most wonderful art work your school has ever seen and not annotated it saying how it links back to those crappy abstract artists you don't care about. Now let's take a look at a student who's drawn a pile of crap but has fully annotated it. Guess who gets a better grade? Yup the crappy art with annotation. Art is also one of those subjects you REALLY have to love or you will crumble down into a depressed state like me. I love art, just not like this.

This may surprise you, but when you study an artistic career skills such as how good you are at drawing/painting don't really matter that much or cut it. It's all about your creative ideas at A Level, degree level and industry. Which is why most people who are naturally gifted in artistic skills usually only go on to aimlessly study Fine Art with no career in mind, peruse it as a side hobby or don't continue with Art post GCSE. :smile:

The reality is the GCSE is preparing you well for a BTEC Level 3 or A Level in Arts. At A Level annotation and good, solid research are the bare basics. If you can't even do that, you won't even get an E at AS... Like any career, you can't just aimlessly make decisions without documenting your inspirations, giving them credit. You need to show your mind and your process.

Consider, you make a beautiful drawing of an apple. Who cares? It's just an apple. Someone's not-as-amazing drawing of a garment however could be inspired by a piece of art by Van Gogh and it's shape inspired by Alexandra McQueen's latest catwalk. They could even paint or draw a whole idea of how the show would look like and it's atmosphere. In industry, these skills are vital. A fashion designer needs a successful show and a successful show begins by a good catwalk that is well planned and creatively imagined and executed. This would be something that is original and creatively imagined. Do you understand now why these people who aren't so amazing at drawing still may have skills you don't? Art is about showing you have a creative mind and can create original ideas, it's become more rigorous, in that how good you are at traditional mediums just doesn't cut it anymore.

As someone in industry right now and having passed both GCSE, A Level and a Level 4 Foundation Diploma in Art, I can tell you having good skills in painting, drawing are good but are considered basics you're suppose to already know. During my Foundation we were assessed more on contextualisation (that to you is annotations and evaluations that 'you don't care about' ) and execution, that being how original the ideas are and how well they're put together, assessing what meaning the art has and what it brings to society. E.g. someone's idea could be a campaign that helps stop homophobia or promotes the awareness of a disease or cause. These ideas are what they want and what can easily get you an A* at GCSE.

I don't mean to be harsh in any of this, I'm just trying to tell you the reality of the course you're studying. I hope you take it as a pinch of salt, and use it to inspire you in how you could change your work and in no time be obtaining the upper band grades such as B, A and A*.
(edited 6 years ago)
I once knew a guy who used to draw fantastic pictures of dogs. At the beginning of his Art course his teacher was very proud of his drawings and always showed them to the class. Then the course proceeded, and the guy was taught how to draw anatomically accurate illustrations of dogs. Soon, whenever he drew a dog, he would focus on making each circle and shade perfect, rather than focusing on capturing the shagginess or personality of that individual dog. The teacher never showed his work anymore, and he stopped loving to draw.

I hated GCSE Art - mostly due to the teacher - but I can say at A Level you ARE given a lot more freedom. Art is an extremely difficult thing to grade, and by showing how other artists inspired your work, it’s given more validity and credit. At GCSE you literally copy (and slightly personalise), but at A level you produce works inspired by artists and may ultimately produce original pieces that are very loosely related to existing works. You just need to show how you got to point B from point A.

Obviously, in the actual art world people are always looking for originality, but taking inspiration never hurts; nothing is truly original. It’s a very frustrating system and can really squeeze the passion out of you. Art is probably one of the toughest subjects out there and it takes a lot of perseverance, but as you already recognise this I’m sure you’ll be successful.

Art is uncompromising, and life is full of compromises.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Honestly I think self taught artists have the best time :P

Well I took art in highschool when I was in america, but I am mostly self taught anyways :3
Tbh whilst art could sometimes be stressful when doing it, I really miss it.
I felt like pouring my heart and soul into all of those pieces (I did); everything I did represented me in some form or another, even if they were inspired by techniques used by somebody else.
Reality is, you do have to actually think about the work you're doing. You can't really get a qualification on something that shows no progression or learning of the subject- even if your work is beautiful, if it means nothing, if it has not stemmed from thought processes and experiments, then you have learnt nothing.
But, yes- you have to really, really love art to enjoy it at all as the vast majority of people hated the subject. Would still recommend if you're an artist who likes to analyse and think deeply about pieces (not necessarily if you just like drawing, as that can be done as a hobby). :-)

Also OP I'm sorry you feel stressed! I did too, and found the best way to cope for me was to set aside a couple of days for art to finish bits in bulk, as you waste less time in getting out equipment etc. as if you did it in small chunks. And if you want any advice hmu cause i did pretty good
The only reason you pick art for Alevel or GCSE is if you

A) Need it as a requirement for the university course you want to apply for
B) Want to piss around in class and come out with a decent B lol

Never pick Art in highschool if you want to be a professional artist. Complete waste of time lmao.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest