The Student Room Group

is LSE actually much better than UCL?

Hi I’m in a bit of a puzzling situation
I have received all my university offers and have narrowed down to 2 for my first choice (both want AAA) .
LSE management
UCL economics and business
I originally was focused on the UCL course as I am more interested in practical business - never had really read or been interested by management (just added LSE as a 5th choice and to see what happened). Now that I’ve got both offers I’m reconsidering

Is a degree from LSE much more employable and prestigious than a degree from UCL?

And do employers really care more about where I study or what I study?

Which would you pick and why?

Any comments will be really useful and appreciated. Thanks a lot!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Do employers really look at what you study or do they mainly look at where you study? I.e would an employer such as an investment bank really care if I studied management if it’s not really related to the job. Thanks
Congrats. No not really, it depends on a lot more factors. Either one will help you get your foot in the door. They are actually two very different degrees. If I were you I'd look at the course structure carefully before choosing where you'd like to go
But my main concern is whether a management degree will prevent me from a career outside management field - perhaps a career in IB.
The LSE is better for networking and has a better name (and these two factors should never be overlooked).

UCL is perfectly good and is socially light years ahead (not something to be taken lightly either).

If you're a super social person then take your choice. If you find it difficult to make friends, then you're more likely to be happy at UCL which is a much larger college with a diversity of courses.
Very true. Concentrate on internships and experience. That's a major determinant in separating the wheat from the chaff
Original post by Trinculo
The LSE is better for networking and has a better name (and these two factors should never be overlooked).

Lol, this is not true. There's basically no difference between LSE and UCL in employers' minds.
Number of people gunning for the same job at a uni makes no difference in this example.

To OP, LSE is a tiny bit more prestigious and so is the BSc course you mentioned. Not a big difference though.
Honestly makes no difference really between these unis. Your friendship group if you go to UCL/LSE will be largely similar. Employers look to each favourably.

It doesn't really matter what subject you do for most graduate jobs in the UK - thankfully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Snufkin
Lol, this is not true. There's basically no difference between LSE and UCL in employers' minds.

The LSE is definitely better for networking, simply because of the profile of the students. In your cohort, there's likely to be some super rich or the kids of the president of Macau or something.
Original post by Trinculo
The LSE is definitely better for networking, simply because of the profile of the students. In your cohort, there's likely to be some super rich or the kids of the president of Macau or something.

That's also the case at UCL (and basically any top university).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really all LSE students do is have good grades and were able to write a personal statement good enough, since LSE seems quite PS-centric in their approach.

That doesn't translate to a huge difference in quality of students nor does it mean employers will look more favourably upon LSE.
Original post by Johnkriftson88
Hi I’m in a bit of a puzzling situation
I have received all my university offers and have narrowed down to 2 for my first choice (both want AAA) .
LSE management
UCL economics and business
I originally was focused on the UCL course as I am more interested in practical business - never had really read or been interested by management (just added LSE as a 5th choice and to see what happened). Now that I’ve got both offers I’m reconsidering

Is a degree from LSE much more employable and prestigious than a degree from UCL?

And do employers really care more about where I study or what I study?

Which would you pick and why?

Any comments will be really useful and appreciated. Thanks a lot!

I would've thought an economics degree in general has a higher earning potential than a management degree.

From a layman perspective (me) I would choose UCL for the course, if you enjoy studying Econ.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Johnkriftson88
Do employers really look at what you study or do they mainly look at where you study? I.e would an employer such as an investment bank really care if I studied management if it’s not really related to the job. Thanks

It doesn't matter what you studied. It depends on whether you want 99% of friends to be Asian for the next 3 years. Or whether you want 60% of your friends to be Asian for the next 3 years.
LSE is head and shoulders above UCL.

If you like the UCL course better sure study that.

Prestige is more than just entrance requirements

Edit : as your UCL offer is for economics, that might open more doors for you if your course is 50%+ economics

I know the treasury and certain PWC schemes require you to have studied econometrics and micro macro to a intermediate level
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by hannah00
LSE is head and shoulders above UCL.

If you like the UCL course better sure study that.

Prestige is more than just entrance requirements

Edit : as your UCL offer is for economics, that might open more doors for you if your course is 50%+ economics

I know the treasury and certain PWC schemes require you to have studied econometrics and micro macro to a intermediate level

No university in the U.K. is head and shoulders above UCL - none. Vice Versa for LSE. Employment prospects are neglible in difference for either. There's a lot more for employers to choose from than perceived prestige.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
No university in the U.K. is head and shoulders above UCL

Oxbridge is.
Original post by m4ttch4mp
Oxbridge is.

Better, but not worlds apart like the poster puts it
There's not much difference between those two when it comes to getting a job in the UK. But outside UK, I'd say LSE has the advantage.
Both institutions are good but I'd go with the one with the better global reputation.
Focus on finding suitable jobs and internships. This is more important than the name of the university and course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending