The Student Room Group

Learner Drivers Chat Thread

Another new shiny thread. :tongue:

This thread is for all the learners to connect together, to discuss your good points and bad points of driving! :h:

Non-learners are also welcome to help out any learners :smile:

Good luck with the driving guys! :biggrin: As always, stay safe :h:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I actually need to start learning to drive again.
Original post by UWS
I actually need to start learning to drive again.

How come you stopped?!? :eek:
Reply 3
Original post by RoyalSheepy
How come you stopped?!? :eek:

New job with long hours. Probably will start when I change jobs :tongue:
I didn't know there was a driving thread?! I've been learning with Dad since mid April and with an instructor since July (a tad randomly though due to summer holidays etc). My test is booked for 22nd November... (And my instructor is on holiday until the 2nd!). I'm awful at manouvers and especially awful at smaller rounderbouts, I just panic!
Original post by Bubs051213
I didn't know there was a driving thread?! I've been learning with Dad since mid April and with an instructor since July (a tad randomly though due to summer holidays etc). My test is booked for 22nd November... (And my instructor is on holiday until the 2nd!). I'm awful at manouvers and especially awful at smaller rounderbouts, I just panic!

Yup, and it's a new shiny thread as well! :colone:

Have you watched YouTube videos and applied them to private practice. I found that helped me a lot! I recommend watching World Driving! :h:
Yup, and it's a new shiny thread as well! :colone:

Have you watched YouTube videos and applied them to private practice. I found that helped me a lot! I recommend watching World Driving! :h:

No I didn't know they existed! Thanks so much, I'll give them a go! :smile:
Original post by Bubs051213
No I didn't know they existed! Thanks so much, I'll give them a go! :smile:

Not to worry! :hugs: Let us know how you get on with them!

They're such good videos as well!

Spoiler

Reply 8
I'm just back from a lesson. Actually went really well today! This was the first time with my new instructor that I have driven in the dark. I had driven in the dark a few times with past instructors. I think I prefer it to day time driving. We did roundabouts, junctions, traffic control and bay parking. That was the first time I had done bay parking in years and I was so impressed, I got out to take a pic of my parking :colondollar: :laugh:

Now that my lesson for this week is done, I'm just going to chill and play Witcher 3 again now :teehee:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rum Ham
I'm just back from a lesson. Actually went really well today! This was the first time with my new instructor that I have driven in the dark. I had driven in the dark a few times with past instructors. I think I prefer it to day time driving. We did roundabouts, junctions, traffic control and bay parking. That was the first time I had done bay parking in years and I was so impressed, I got out to take a pic of my parking :colondollar: :laugh:

Now that my lesson for this week is done, I'm just going to chill and play Witcher 3 again now :teehee:

Moved the post over to this thread for you :h:

(Also, I'm gonna rename this thread because it does have quite a confusing name :lol: )
Moved the post over to this thread for you :h:

(Also, I'm gonna rename this thread because it does have quite a confusing name :lol: )

I've had 12 hours. Doing 2 hours a week so far. I'm getting along alright I guess so far!
Original post by Texxers
I've had 12 hours. Doing 2 hours a week so far. I'm getting along alright I guess so far!

Make sure you book your theory asap if you haven't done it already. That cert lasts 2 years; so just get it out of the way. I also have a suspicion it's the next thing they're likely to change.
I’ll be doing my test very soon any tips to keep a cool head 😬
Original post by Sarah_g_24
I’ll be doing my test very soon any tips to keep a cool head 😬

Hey there!

I've moved your post to this thread instead. :smile:

Remember, the examiner is human like yourself so don't be afraid to talk about stuff with him/her to calm you down if you feel nervous. :yes: Me and my examiner had a right good convo during my test :laugh:

During the reversing manoeuvres, remember just before you do the manoeuvre you're allowed to lower your exterior mirror in order to see the kerb/line. (Providing you revert the mirror back to its position after you've done the manoeuvre).
Hey there!

I've moved your post to this thread instead. :smile:

Remember, the examiner is human like yourself so don't be afraid to talk about stuff with him/her to calm you down if you feel nervous. :yes: Me and my examiner had a right good convo during my test :laugh:

During the reversing manoeuvres, remember just before you do the manoeuvre you're allowed to lower your exterior mirror in order to see the kerb/line. (Providing you revert the mirror back to its position after you've done the manoeuvre).

Thankyou, I've so far had 16 hours which doesn't seem that long. I've picked it up quite nicely but the thing is he has said he doesn't bother teaching reference points which I've heard can be quite useful would this matter? With manoeuvres like reverse bay park and parallel park I just take a guess and it works most of the time but idk about real life driving. Should I ask about reference points or do they not matter so much?
Thankyou, I've so far had 16 hours which doesn't seem that long. I've picked it up quite nicely but the thing is he has said he doesn't bother teaching reference points which I've heard can be quite useful would this matter? With manoeuvres like reverse bay park and parallel park I just take a guess and it works most of the time but idk about real life driving. Should I ask about reference points or do they not matter so much?

Have you had a look at YouTube videos? I found those really helped me. (That's where I also got the little tips from, like the lowering of the exterior mirror :wink: )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPwt-gLXAMMVVne6TFyCDFA - This guy's videos are brilliant!
Have you had a look at YouTube videos? I found those really helped me. (That's where I also got the little tips from, like the lowering of the exterior mirror :wink: )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPwt-gLXAMMVVne6TFyCDFA - This guy's videos are brilliant!

Yess!! I love those they're really helpful there's also 1st drive, learn-to-drive-travis, and Go2 Driving School for anyone else interested :smile:
Yess!! I love those they're really helpful there's also 1st drive, learn-to-drive-travis, and Go2 Driving School for anyone else interested :smile:

I've also seen Travis's! :yep:

Do you do any private practice? :smile:
I've also seen Travis's! :yep:

Do you do any private practice? :smile:

Hmmmm no, I've only driven with the instructor and his car. My mum doesn't drive and my dad drives a 7 seater Ford S-Max 2.0L engine :ashamed2:, my dad doesn't mind putting me on the insurance but I'd prefer it if I drove a smaller car. He has said once I pass and have a car we will go out to motorways and other roads so my dad knows I'm a safe driver.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending