The Student Room Group

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI,

I have 22 weeks till my English language paper 1 and 2 exams and want to start Revising for it when I go back to college but don't know how many hours I should be doing a week and if I should be revising for both papers each week or if I should do alternative weeks for each paper.

can people suggest ways I could do this please as it would help me.

thanks
caymen

Scroll to see replies

do whatever feels good for you! if you want to focus on bigger chunks then go for alternative weeks, although personally i would alternate days (or every couple). try not to panic too much, and don't over-cram or you'll forget stuff. set a sensible schedule, a few hours a day maybe (depending on extra-curriculars, homework and other subjects) and try to vary your revision to retain as much as you can, and to feel what's right for you. i'd advise to do some practice timed essays/ creative writing, just so you get used to the time limit and setting them out.
Reply 2
Original post by honeyofcourse
do whatever feels good for you! if you want to focus on bigger chunks then go for alternative weeks, although personally i would alternate days (or every couple). try not to panic too much, and don't over-cram or you'll forget stuff. set a sensible schedule, a few hours a day maybe (depending on extra-curriculars, homework and other subjects) and try to vary your revision to retain as much as you can, and to feel what's right for you. i'd advise to do some practice timed essays/ creative writing, just so you get used to the time limit and setting them out.

Thanks for the information.
I was thinking of doing one hour per day, what do you think of that.

also how do you make a revision timetable as have no clue how to make one or even how to start making one.

Can you help me please

Thanks caymen
Original post by caymen
Thanks for the information.
I was thinking of doing one hour per day, what do you think of that.

also how do you make a revision timetable as have no clue how to make one or even how to start making one.

Can you help me please

Thanks caymen

sounds good! well, i'm not 100% sure what's on your course specification, but if you look it over and write a list of the topics and stuff you need to work on for each paper, and then work through the lists. maybe you could do general study notes one day, and past papers/ timed essays the next.
Reply 4
sounds good! well, i'm not 100% sure what's on your course specification, but if you look it over and write a list of the topics and stuff you need to work on for each paper, and then work through the lists. maybe you could do general study notes one day, and past papers/ timed essays the next.

As writing is worth a big section of each paper it is worth 40 out of 80 on each paper how much revision should I do for it.

You said about past papers how oftern should I do a past papers and how many should I complete before the exam

How do I make a revision timetable or plan for English then. Each paper includes 5 questions if that helps.

How many hours a week should I revise english for as well

Thanks Caymen
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by caymen
As writing is worth a big section of each paper it is worth 40 out of 80 on each paper how much revision should I do for it.

You said about past papers how oftern should I do a past papers and how many should I complete before the exam

How do I make a revision timetable or plan for English then. Each paper includes 5 questions if that helps.

How many hours a week should I revise english for as well

Thanks Caymen

okay, i'd say do an hour a night if you can, alternating between papers each day. since writing is worth half the marks, you should revise it half the time... that seems sensible. try different revision techniques to vary the way you take in the knowledge and find what's best for you at your own leisure. do at least one or two practice papers a week and then you may be able to get someone on here- or one of your teachers- to mark it, so you can focus on where you went wrong and correct it next time. you could focus on one or two types of question per day (depending on whether they're long or short to answer) and do practice papers on the other days.
Reply 6
okay, i'd say do an hour a night if you can, alternating between papers each day. since writing is worth half the marks, you should revise it half the time... that seems sensible. try different revision techniques to vary the way you take in the knowledge and find what's best for you at your own leisure. do at least one or two practice papers a week and then you may be able to get someone on here- or one of your teachers- to mark it, so you can focus on where you went wrong and correct it next time. you could focus on one or two types of question per day (depending on whether they're long or short to answer) and do practice papers on the other days.

What do u mean might be able to find someone on here to mark my past papers

R u free tomorrow to help me make a topic list per question please if I give u some info to help u

Also can u check my revision timetable once it is done please.

Thanks
Caymen
Original post by caymen
What do u mean might be able to find someone on here to mark my past papers

R u free tomorrow to help me make a topic list per question please if I give u some info to help u

Also can u check my revision timetable once it is done please.

Thanks
Caymen

i'm not 100% sure (i'm pretty new to the site) but i know there are people that can help for specific GCSE subjects, so they may be able to look over it and possibly mark it. i'm out a lot of today but i will help you where i can- the best thing is for you to figure out what's best yourself, do a rough list and timetable and then contact me to check it over or if you're unsure about something specific. just break each section of work down into chunks. but yeah, i'll help when i can, and i'll check it when you've finished
Reply 8
i'm not 100% sure (i'm pretty new to the site) but i know there are people that can help for specific GCSE subjects, so they may be able to look over it and possibly mark it. i'm out a lot of today but i will help you where i can- the best thing is for you to figure out what's best yourself, do a rough list and timetable and then contact me to check it over or if you're unsure about something specific. just break each section of work down into chunks. but yeah, i'll help when i can, and i'll check it when you've finished

thanks ill do my plan and checklists today and then get back to you later today if that is okay with u.

thanks for helping me

caymen
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by caymen
thanks ill do my plan and checklists today and then get back to you later today if that is okay with u.

thanks for helping me

caymen

sure! that's okay :')
Reply 10
sure! that's okay :':wink:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rh8LIL61PTbuACv3b1XyWh4L-IXdKubOjaigLpDh3Es/edit?usp=sharing

this is the link to the current version of my revision timetable. It's only the start as didn't know what to do next
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by caymen
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rh8LIL61PTbuACv3b1XyWh4L-IXdKubOjaigLpDh3Es/edit?usp=sharing

this is the link to the current version of my revision timetable. It's only the start as didn't know what to do next

that looks great! now you've set out a time for your revision, you can focus on the topics you need to revise. maybe you could mark out which paper you're focusing on each day, and the days you're doing past papers, just to save any confusion. then you can work down the topic/activity lists during each day.
Reply 12
that looks great! now you've set out a time for your revision, you can focus on the topics you need to revise. maybe you could mark out which paper you're focusing on each day, and the days you're doing past papers, just to save any confusion. then you can work down the topic/activity lists during each day.

here is the start of my paper topic list
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hAUfN8z8jJZdJ4Ana6INBM6y264cbTsHOMiEjsXMfj8/edit?usp=sharing

how many hours should i revise college days and none college days please.
when I had my A-level tests most of which had too squeezed timelines, I first ensured I never panicked or got overwhelmed. Allocate some adequate time for every paper and have the right materials during revision. if you can engage in a discussion with classmates preferably 2 or 3 to revise together the better. best of all do not procrastinate, allocate time wisely

best regards
Reply 14
Original post by sachet05
when I had my A-level tests most of which had too squeezed timelines, I first ensured I never panicked or got overwhelmed. Allocate some adequate time for every paper and have the right materials during revision. if you can engage in a discussion with classmates preferably 2 or 3 to revise together the better. best of all do not procrastinate, allocate time wisely

best regards

thanks for the information when i have completed my revision timetable and plan can you check it for me please
Original post by caymen
thanks for the information when i have completed my revision timetable and plan can you check it for me please

@caymen

yeah, sure.
Reply 16
Original post by sachet05
@caymen

yeah, sure.

can you check the updated copy of my revision timetable and revision checklist, please

revision timetable

revision checklist
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hAUfN8z8jJZdJ4Ana6INBM6y264cbTsHOMiEjsXMf j8/edit?usp=sharing

thanks caymen
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17

can you check the updated copy of my revision timetable and revision checklist, please

revision timetable

revision checklist
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hAUfN8z8jJZdJ4Ana6INBM6y264cbTsHOMiEjsXMf j8/edit?usp=sharing

thanks caymen
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by caymen
here is the start of my paper topic list
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hAUfN8z8jJZdJ4Ana6INBM6y264cbTsHOMiEjsXMfj8/edit?usp=sharing

how many hours should i revise college days and none college days please.

that looks brilliant! uhm, if you have less stuff to do on non-college days then i'd say to do an hour extra if you can- so 1 hour on college days and 2 (or more) on non-college days. also, if you do more on non-college days then you could always have a college days off to give your brain a bit of a rest, if you like :smile:
Reply 19
that looks brilliant! uhm, if you have less stuff to do on non-college days then i'd say to do an hour extra if you can- so 1 hour on college days and 2 (or more) on non-college days. also, if you do more on non-college days then you could always have a college days off to give your brain a bit of a rest, if you like :smile:

that looks brilliant! uhm, if you have less stuff to do on non-college days then i'd say to do an hour extra if you can- so 1 hour on college days and 2 (or more) on non-college days.x also, if you do more on non-college days then you could always have a college days off to give your brain a bit of a rest, if you like :smile:

Thanks.for that info

here is an updated revision timetable for you to look at
https://docs.google.com/a/gapps.suffolk.ac.uk/spreadsheets/d/1rh8LIL61PTbuACv3b1XyWh4L-IXdKubOjaigLpDh3Es/edit?usp=drivesdk

Can u give me.advice on how to improve it please. also can u pm me please

Quick Reply

Latest