The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

OU Creative Writing - first time hopeful student, lots of advice needed (sorry!)

Hi, brand new to uni and everything,

I'm 25, male, decided I want to study CW at OU, I've missed the Feb deadline so looking to apply in time for October, going in completely blind, so need a lot of help please....

Re: student loans, looking to apply for the course/loans in March, I'll be living at home, but travelling to libraries/cafes (I can't focus properly when at home) I'm going to need a new laptop, looking to go w Apple for longevity and durability, will use their student discount providing I get the loan. Will I get extra money for a laptop/study accoutrement? I heard about something called a maintenance loan?

My mum is a carer so is claiming benefits, I understand that my benefits will stop once I get my loan (if approved) will my mum's be affected?

Sorry but I don't understand student loans properly? The SLC covers your fees right? so why do they give you cash? Is that a stupid question? I'm not the brightest haha, hence my want to study!

I have a couple of more questions but if anybody could help me so far, that'd be great.

Hi all, and thanks to anybody that answers :smile:
Original post by khyledeen
Hi, brand new to uni and everything,

I'm 25, male, decided I want to study CW at OU, I've missed the Feb deadline so looking to apply in time for October, going in completely blind, so need a lot of help please....

Re: student loans, looking to apply for the course/loans in March, I'll be living at home, but travelling to libraries/cafes (I can't focus properly when at home) I'm going to need a new laptop, looking to go w Apple for longevity and durability, will use their student discount providing I get the loan. Will I get extra money for a laptop/study accoutrement? I heard about something called a maintenance loan?

My mum is a carer so is claiming benefits, I understand that my benefits will stop once I get my loan (if approved) will my mum's be affected?

Sorry but I don't understand student loans properly? The SLC covers your fees right? so why do they give you cash? Is that a stupid question? I'm not the brightest haha, hence my want to study!

I have a couple of more questions but if anybody could help me so far, that'd be great.

Hi all, and thanks to anybody that answers :smile:

The deadline for Feb-start modules is in 2 weeks I think, so you have time to register.

Maintenance loans are currently only available for full-time students (all OU students are classified as part-time students). The government has announced plans to make maintenance loans available for OU students, but not until 2019/2020. Their purpose, when they eventually arrive, will be to help people pay for basic living costs whilst they're studying. If you have a disability then you can apply for DSA which helps buy equipment to help you study, there's also a new bursary which you might qualify for: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/choose/bursary - but apart from that, there's no other financial help to buy laptops/study items.

Pretty sure your mum's benefits (or yours, if you get them) won't be affected by you studying with the OU - (tagging in @Tiger Rag, can you confirm?)

Your student loan will cover the tuition fees, but no, you won't be given any money - it goes directly to the university.

If you have any other questions, fire away :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
The deadline for Feb-start modules is in 2 weeks I think, so you have time to register.

Maintenance loans are currently only available for full-time students (all OU students are classified as part-time students). The government has announced plans to make maintenance loans available for OU students, but not until 2019/2020. Their purpose, when they eventually arrive, will be to help people pay for basic living costs whilst they're studying. If you have a disability then you can apply for DSA which helps buy equipment to help you study, there's also a new bursary which you might qualify for: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/choose/bursary - but apart from that, there's no other financial help to buy laptops/study items.

Pretty sure your mum's benefits (or yours, if you get them) won't be affected by you studying with the OU - (tagging in @Tiger Rag, can you confirm?)

Your student loan will cover the tuition fees, but no, you won't be given any money - it goes directly to the university.

If you have any other questions, fire away :smile:

Oh so I won’t get any of the loan money at all?

I could register for the Feb modules but I won’t hear back from student finance in time.

Thanks for your help!
Oh so I won’t get any of the loan money at all?

I could register for the Feb modules but I won’t hear back from student finance in time.

Thanks for your help!

Nope, but do you need money to study? You only need a very basic laptop tbh, nothing fancy.

Who told you that? You don't need to hear back from student finance in order to start the module (people apply for finance at the last minute every year, it's not a big deal).
If you fill in all the details for SFE they will give you a serial number, if you provide the OU with that they reserve a place for you while the payment is authorized (Mine took well under 2 weeks). If you have a passport and NI number you will be fine to fill everything out, it really does not take long at all.
Reply 5
Original post by Snufkin
Nope, but do you need money to study? You only need a very basic laptop tbh, nothing fancy.

Who told you that? You don't need to hear back from student finance in order to start the module (people apply for finance at the last minute every year, it's not a big deal).

Oh ok, I was expecting a chunk of money into my account for things like travel costs and stuff, yeah I need the money to study, need to get a new laptop too. I don’t want a basic one because they always break down and stuff, hence my desire to pick up a MacBook.

Oh I thought I did? I might apply for Feb then, thanks.
Reply 6
Original post by Piña colada
If you fill in all the details for SFE they will give you a serial number, if you provide the OU with that they reserve a place for you while the payment is authorized (Mine took well under 2 weeks). If you have a passport and NI number you will be fine to fill everything out, it really does not take long at all.

Oh that’s cool, thanks for letting me know
Oh that’s cool, thanks for letting me know

I applied back in November and I was given a number on completion to send to the OU. I am starting English Literature in February so it would be nice to have a likeminded person in the same boat. I think the cut off date might be the 7th of January if I am not mistaken. If you fill everything in and have it sent off by that date (Serial number etc) then if you wanted to, you could start in February and finish the module in September.

Quick Reply

Latest