The Student Room Group

How to improve self confidence

I am a really awkward person and I believe it because I lack self confidence how can I improve this

I have really bad acne (I have medication from my doctor but it is still very visible and using makeup doesn’t really help with the appearance)
I have quite a prominent nose (it’s really wide) that bothers me so much especially when I’m talking to people I feel self conscious
Those are the two things about me that really bother me

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I am a really awkward person and I believe it because I lack self confidence how can I improve this

I have really bad acne (I have medication from my doctor but it is still very visible and using makeup doesn’t really help with the appearance)
I have quite a prominent nose (it’s really wide) that bothers me so much especially when I’m talking to people I feel self conscious

The reason you have low self-confidence is because you have a low self-worth, since you set (like most girls) your entire self-worth based entirely on your looks. When you stop doing that, you'll have better self-confidence. Get off social-media and go play tennis or some **** (WITHOUT snapchatting it). Just do it for yourself.
accept yourself for who you are. if you radiate cheerfulness & contentment you will find people are attracted to you.
Reply 3
Original post by StayWoke
The reason you have low self-confidence is because you have a low self-worth, since you set (like most girls) your entire self-worth based entirely on your looks. When you stop doing that, you'll have better self-confidence. Get off social-media and go play tennis or some **** (WITHOUT snapchatting it). Just do it for yourself.

First of all I definitely do NOT base my self-worth entirely based on my looks I know I’m a very intelligent person who has many other factors that are wayyyyyy more important than looks.
I behave awkwardly sometimes and I think it’s because I’m self conscious about my looks, all I asking for is some advice about how to overcome this issue. It’s easy to say just get over it and stuff like that but it’s hard to apply that logic.
Reply 4
Original post by the bear
accept yourself for who you are. if you radiate cheerfulness & contentment you will find people are attracted to you.

I just find it very hard to do that I just need some advice about how to over come this
I just find it very hard to do that I just need some advice about how to over come this

Set yourself a goal which would require intense discipline to maintain, for example, many guys report to seeing tremendous confidence related benefits from doing NoFap. I don't know what that would be for you, perhaps working out or going on a vegetarian/vegan diet would help you. I know lifting is something I enjoy doing and provides me with intense energy and confidence.

It's not an overnight process. As you mature and grow into a different person these things will matter less to you automatically. But in the meantime I'd advise to make firm eye contact more often, force yourself to speak up sometimes, go into unfamiliar social situations (sports, clubs, jobs, volunteering) and try to embrace them.
Reply 7
Original post by ParkHyungSuk
Set yourself a goal which would require intense discipline to maintain, for example, many guys report to seeing tremendous confidence related benefits from doing NoFap. I don't know what that would be for you, perhaps working out or going on a vegetarian/vegan diet would help you. I know lifting is something I enjoy doing and provides me with intense energy and confidence.

I am going to go try out running on a regular basis- I used to do it in high school and I loved how I felt afterwards, I will try and incorporate this into my lifestyle.
Thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by tabbyglitter
It's not an overnight process. As you mature and grow into a different person these things will matter less to you automatically. But in the meantime I'd advise to make firm eye contact more often, force yourself to speak up sometimes, go into unfamiliar social situations (sports, clubs, jobs, volunteering) and try to embrace them.

I will try to make eye contact with people alot more to start with
I am going to go try out running on a regular basis- I used to do it in high school and I loved how I felt afterwards, I will try and incorporate this into my lifestyle.

That's a beautiful example, I love running as well! No exercise quite like it :smile:

fake it till you make it! remind yourself why you like yourself everyday and wear clothes that make you feel confident! you'll get there eventually but it takes time
Write on a piece of paper everything that you are insecure/dislike about yourself. Then cross it all out,tear the paper and put it in the bin.

Then write a letter congratulating yourself on everyrhing you have done well and keep that somewhere safe
I hope this helps:

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller. For example, if you are on holiday, you go there to experience and observe the attraction, you're not going to get anxious doing that are you?

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, accept yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you confident? What makes you proud? Do you have a skill you are good at? Do things like cooking, driving, learning that increases your confidence daily. Relax.

Have good posture, body language, improve your appearance. Be happy with yourself.

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, what's the latest, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, what they will get up to, what they got up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about what's happening.

Talk about the weather or did you see that sports game? Just mingle with them,

Compliment them, say "I like your jacket".

If you know they went on a holiday or somewhere, ask them about it etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

8) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, approachable, interested, relaxed.

9) Look outside!
Your absolutely right you can't just tell a person to be confident and if by magic they become confident. I was told this line many of times while I was growing up shy. Is a process we have to take and for our shyness to go away. Which can be long and awarkard if we want it to. First thing to remember, no body is born shy. Every shy traits we have accumulated we got it and learnt it from some where... however, we can take that same process to learn how to be confident consciously instead of unconsciously Want to know more let me know I'm on instragram as Delconfidencecoach
ok so basically i get pressured all the time to speak to girls by my friends (im a boy). However I have constant low esteem and confidence issues –– some sh*t has happened in the past. I have one really good friend that helps a lot but i literally stumble when it comes to speaking to girls that i like. Any ideas guys :colondollar:
Right, is it only girls you find it hard to talk to? And what is the cause to your shyness?
Original post by Delcoach
Right, is it only girls you find it hard to talk to? And what is the cause to your shyness?

yes only girls –– its because i have had relationship issues in the past and have been rejected by quite a few girls.
Original post by HaydenFordz
yes only girls –– its because i have had relationship issues in the past and have been rejected by quite a few girls.

Okay, so in general your a confident guy that can strike a conversation with anyone if it's not a female? Your a social get like yourself etc...?
Original post by Delcoach
Okay, so in general your a confident guy that can strike a conversation with anyone if it's not a female? Your a social get like yourself etc...?

I wouldn't call myself an overly confident guy yes i can strike a convocation with random people but i don't fully open up to them until i know them and can trust them i can only do that for the one really good friend that i talked about earlier and i'm almost in yr 11. I don't know how to over come this :colondollar:
Sigh this thread is from years ago...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending