The Student Room Group

Which A-Levels should I do?

So I am currently in year 11 and will be choosing my A-levels in a few weeks. So far I have chosen to do:

Maths
German
Biology

And am choosing between doing one of:
Chemistry (required for lots of science uni courses which I am considering),
Music (would be quite easy for me enjoying it at GCSE)
Or French (also enjoying it)

Any ideas/tips/advice? Would be much appreciated 🙂
I’m not too experienced but if you’re thinking doing things like medicine etc... chemistry is a requirement
If you think there's a chance you will want to do science at uni, then you should almost definitely do chemistry.

If it's straight biology, you might be able to get away without it as they would probably count maths as your second science. Some universities might still expect you to have chemistry though, so you should do some research and look at entry requirements.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
If you are considering to study for a science degree then you should choose Chemistry.
Definitely do chemistry. If you don’t have it, it really limits you for science degrees. You’ll either love it or hate it (I love it!)
Reply 5
Original post by becca385
Definitely do chemistry. If you don’t have it, it really limits you for science degrees. You’ll either love it or hate it (I love it!)

Yeah that’s what I’ve heard so far. Probably will do chemistry then (hopefully I’ll enjoy it!)
Reply 6
Original post by LeapingLucy
If you think there's a chance you will want to do science at uni, then you should almost definitely do chemistry.

If it's straight biology, you might be able to get away without it as they would probably count maths as your second science. Some universities might still expect you to have chemistry though, so you should do some research and look at entry requirements.

Thanks. Will have to do some research :smile:
Reply 7
Why maths, German and biology?
Reply 8
Original post by bluemuffin
So I am currently in year 11 and will be choosing my A-levels in a few weeks. So far I have chosen to do:

Maths
German
Biology

And am choosing between doing one of:
Chemistry (required for lots of science uni courses which I am considering),
Music (would be quite easy for me enjoying it at GCSE)
Or French (also enjoying it)

Any ideas/tips/advice? Would be much appreciated 🙂

So basically the jump from GCSEs to Alevels is a massive one it difficult , I cannot tell you what subjects you should choose, but really think about what you want to do in 10 years time think a bit byond school, where you want to be and such, that may help you decide...ohh and if you enjoy something but don’t need the qualifications for it, you can practice it in your free time. I did Maths,bio,Media,and physics for AS, dropped Media at Alevels, and carried the 3, now I do physics at uni, bio was another interest (biomedical engineering) but physics took the pie. ultimately in life I’m looking to become an entrepreneur, using the knowledge from things I learn from physics and other side studies e.g I’m learning to make web application on my own.
Reply 9
I do maths as well as music at A level. In my opinion, you should take music if you:
-want to go into depth on music in different time periods; western classical, jazz, 20th century music, rock
-have interest in the history of music, e.g. how jazz music, symphonies are developed
-are willing to learn about the background information of composers from different time periods
-want more opportunities to compose and improve your composition skills (if you found GCSE composition easy, that's because there were basically no rules on what you can and can't do in your composition)
-want to improve your aural and dictation skills

Basically, don't choose music for A level purely because you found it easy and enjoyed it at GCSE. I got an A* at GCSE but revising for A level music is A LOT of effort because I have no interest in the things we're learning.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by katf
Why maths, German and biology?

Maths and biology because I enjoy them (maths is really useful as well), and German because I’m bilingual so that can be my “easy” a level.
Original post by ℓove
I do maths as well as music at A level. In my opinion, you should take music if you:
-want to go into depth on music in different time periods; western classical, jazz, 20th century music, rock
-have interest in the history of music, e.g. how jazz music, symphonies are developed
-are willing to learn about the background information of composers from different time periods
-want more opportunities to compose and improve your composition skills (if you found GCSE composition easy, that's because there were basically no rules on what you can and can't do in your composition)
-want to improve your aural and dictation skills

Basically, don't choose music for A level purely because you found it easy and enjoyed it at GCSE. I got an A* at GCSE but revising for A level music is A LOT of effort because I have no interest in the things we're learning.

Ok good to know. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest