The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Should I accept Aston Uni's offer?

Hey guys, so I've applied to do Business Computing and ICT at Aston Uni and they've offered me an unconditional offer, they wanted AAB but I'm predicted AAA so if I put it as my first choice they'll make it an unconditional and I'll have to go there.

I've also applied for Information Management at UCL who want AAA but I've not heard back from them yet, I'm guessing they will give me an offer. But the prospect of living in London is daunting and student satisfaction at UCL is really low, despite them being top 10 in the UK. The other uni's I've applied for I'm not really interested in to be honest AND my choices for Business ICT were rather limiting too as not many unis offer it or I don't meet one of their requirements like Manchester. I meet all of UCL's and Aston's requirements though.

BUT I have one concern...I don't get why Aston has rapidly fallen in the rankings for 2018 to 49th place, its rather worrying, especially because they were 30th in 2017 and even higher in 2016 etc. Does anyone go there have any idea if they'll make it back up the rankings next year? And current students what is Aston like? I need to think carefully about this because I did like Aston when I went, especially how it's in central Birmingham etc (nightlife would be amazing in either city tbh, London would be very expensive though I guess), UCL is just amazing to have on your CV too.

Is Aston still a great uni as it used to be and can it go back up in the rankings? If it made the tip 40 I would be happy. What would you do in my situation, bearing in mine the unconditional offer if I place Aston as my first choice. Thanks guys.
UCL student life is what you make of it. If you want to go out and be social, you can be and you can have a lot of fun. I'd definitely go for UCL, but if you really do like Aston more it's up to you. What are the other choices?
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Hi BassBoy,

First of all, congrats on getting an offer!

Original post by BassBoy123

BUT I have one concern...I don't get why Aston has rapidly fallen in the rankings for 2018 to 49th place, its rather worrying, especially because they were 30th in 2017 and even higher in 2016 etc. Does anyone go there have any idea if they'll make it back up the rankings next year?

League table rankings can change for a number of reasons. From our research, the drop was mainly due to staff-student ratio. We have been keen to address this and have ran an extensive hiring campaign to improve our number of teaching staff for upcoming term and future years. We expect our ranking to increase due to the hiring campaign.

Our teaching quality is still some of the best in the country, recently ranking gold for teaching excellence in the recent Teaching Excellence Framework.

I hope this helps. Feel free to send any questions our way.

^Kam
Hey guys, so I've applied to do Business Computing and ICT at Aston Uni and they've offered me an unconditional offer, they wanted AAB but I'm predicted AAA so if I put it as my first choice they'll make it an unconditional and I'll have to go there.

I've also applied for Information Management at UCL who want AAA but I've not heard back from them yet, I'm guessing they will give me an offer. But the prospect of living in London is daunting and student satisfaction at UCL is really low, despite them being top 10 in the UK. The other uni's I've applied for I'm not really interested in to be honest AND my choices for Business ICT were rather limiting too as not many unis offer it or I don't meet one of their requirements like Manchester. I meet all of UCL's and Aston's requirements though.

BUT I have one concern...I don't get why Aston has rapidly fallen in the rankings for 2018 to 49th place, its rather worrying, especially because they were 30th in 2017 and even higher in 2016 etc. Does anyone go there have any idea if they'll make it back up the rankings next year? And current students what is Aston like? I need to think carefully about this because I did like Aston when I went, especially how it's in central Birmingham etc (nightlife would be amazing in either city tbh, London would be very expensive though I guess), UCL is just amazing to have on your CV too.

Is Aston still a great uni as it used to be and can it go back up in the rankings? If it made the tip 40 I would be happy. What would you do in my situation, bearing in mine the unconditional offer if I place Aston as my first choice. Thanks guys.

i go to aston and it is an AMAZING university, however if you get into UCL and are happy with the course then please don't turn it down!! UCL is an amazing top university and employers do look at uni rankings! UCL is in the top 10 (i think)
put aston as your insurance :smile: you wont get the unconditional but they do accept lower grades on results day x

There's still months of time for you , wait it out and send your reply in by mid-February ,by then you'd have gotten an offer or a rejection from UCL. So you can weigh up the pros and cons and decide. Keep in mind , London is a lot more costlier
Reply 5
Original post by a-spiringmedic
i go to aston and it is an AMAZING university, however if you get into UCL and are happy with the course then please don't turn it down!! UCL is an amazing top university and employers do look at uni rankings! UCL is in the top 10 (i think)
put aston as your insurance :smile: you wont get the unconditional but they do accept lower grades on results day x

Thanks haha, whats your overall experience at Aston? Have you personally seen any improvement in the teaching standards etc? And hows the course you study and nightlife? thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by Celestiall
UCL student life is what you make of it. If you want to go out and be social, you can be and you can have a lot of fun. I'd definitely go for UCL, but if you really do like Aston more it's up to you. What are the other choices?

I applied for just management studies at uni of leicester and got a straight up unconditional but i'm more interested in the IT side too so would prefer Aston, the only advantage for leicester is that its higher up in the tables. Got an offer from Manchester Met too for business technology but I'm not keen on there.
Thanks haha, whats your overall experience at Aston? Have you personally seen any improvement in the teaching standards etc? And hows the course you study and nightlife? thanks!

no problem, i really enjoy aston its super friendly and everyone is very willing to help you if you need it.
the teaching is gold rated i think but for my course its really good lecturers are really helpful and i find the content not too hard because they explain it so well :smile:
course is good, term 1 was more getting everyone at the same level, term 2 will be more practical based.
i don't go out but birmingham is an amazing place for going out most people come from places like wolverhampton and coventry to birmingham for nights out, pretty sure broad street has lots of clubs :smile:
Reply 8
no problem, i really enjoy aston its super friendly and everyone is very willing to help you if you need it.
the teaching is gold rated i think but for my course its really good lecturers are really helpful and i find the content not too hard because they explain it so well :smile:
course is good, term 1 was more getting everyone at the same level, term 2 will be more practical based.
i don't go out but birmingham is an amazing place for going out most people come from places like wolverhampton and coventry to birmingham for nights out, pretty sure broad street has lots of clubs :smile:

Thanks for the help! what course are you studying? I'm sure if I go to Aston I'll love it I guess, just gotta wait to see what ucl say lol then i'll make my decision. If they reject me then of course I would make Aston first choice which would make it an unconditional so thats an added bonus
Thanks for the help! what course are you studying? I'm sure if I go to Aston I'll love it I guess, just gotta wait to see what ucl say lol then i'll make my decision. If they reject me then of course I would make Aston first choice which would make it an unconditional so thats an added bonus

if ucl offer you then defooo ucl but aston has a very good business school so if they don't then aston for sure :smile:
i study biomedical science
Reply 10
if ucl offer you then defooo ucl but aston has a very good business school so if they don't then aston for sure :smile:
i study biomedical science

Yeah Aston's business school is seen as very good. Thanks! :smile:
I’m a current Mechanical Engineering student at Aston and so far I’ve really enjoyed it. The people are very friendly and offer help when you need it, the teaching quality is also amazing (for my course) as they teach about the theoretical and practical side of engineering which I really like.

Aston is a seriously under ranked University. Hopefully it should go back up in the league tables due to the gold teaching standard, the addition of new staff and medical school.
Reply 12
Original post by Azizul98
I’m a current Mechanical Engineering student at Aston and so far I’ve really enjoyed it. The people are very friendly and offer help when you need it, the teaching quality is also amazing (for my course) as they teach about the theoretical and practical side of engineering which I really like.

Aston is a seriously under ranked University. Hopefully it should go back up in the league tables due to the gold teaching standard, the addition of new staff and medical school.

Thanks for the reply! Have you seen an improvement in their teaching and stuff? And what is the general life at Aston like, is it a nice place to work and high quality? I'm really tempted to accept their offer as my firm. And whats the nightlife at Birmingham like too if you've any experience? (Sorry for lots of questions haha!)

Thanks for the reply! Have you seen an improvement in their teaching and stuff? And what is the general life at Aston like, is it a nice place to work and high quality? I'm really tempted to accept their offer as my firm. And whats the nightlife at Birmingham like too if you've any experience? (Sorry for lots of questions haha!)

Nah it fine, I was in your position once too😂😂. As for the teaching, I can only tell you about my specific course which is great, the lecturers are qualified engineers so they’re quite experianced. I do have mates who study pharmacy, comp sci and business and they all love it at Aston. Also, there’s a lot of support available in the library as you can drop in and get help from students in 3rd year and subject staff.

Since your planning on doing business, I’d day you’d be in safe hands at aston due to its high reputation in that field.

Generally, Aston is pretty good. There’s lot so of study spaces, new lecture theatres (New student Union building comming in 2019). The library also has a social area for any group work, the top two floors are for quiet study.

Birmingham is full of things to do in terms of night life (broad street etc) and due to the campus being right in the centre of town there’s always somthing to do.

Hope that helps 😂😂
Reply 14
Nah it fine, I was in your position once too😂😂. As for the teaching, I can only tell you about my specific course which is great, the lecturers are qualified engineers so they’re quite experianced. I do have mates who study pharmacy, comp sci and business and they all love it at Aston. Also, there’s a lot of support available in the library as you can drop in and get help from students in 3rd year and subject staff.

Since your planning on doing business, I’d day you’d be in safe hands at aston due to its high reputation in that field.

Generally, Aston is pretty good. There’s lot so of study spaces, new lecture theatres (New student Union building comming in 2019). The library also has a social area for any group work, the top two floors are for quiet study.

Birmingham is full of things to do in terms of night life (broad street etc) and due to the campus being right in the centre of town there’s always somthing to do.

Hope that helps 😂😂

Thanks a lot for your help! It seems like Aston is a great uni, I'll be waiting to hear back from UCL but I'm certainly considering to accept Aston's unconditional offer if I place it as my first choice. Thanks for your help :smile:!
Reply 15

Hope that helps 😂😂

Sorry for jumping this thread but are the lecturers any good at Aston for Optometry?

Quick Reply

Latest