The Student Room Group

MSc Finance 2018

Hello, I have recently been accepted into a couple of MSc programs for the year 2018-19 and have a couple of questions regarding which one to choose. I have applied to the following programs:
Cass MSc Quantitative Finance - Accepted
UCL MSc Finance - Accepted
Imperial MSc Finance - Waiting to hear back
I am currently a finance major with a mathematics minor in the US, I have not studied in the UK before and would therefore appreciate some feedback on what university to select of the above mentioned programs (if accepted to all).
Thanks.
Original post by ppl2
Hello, I have recently been accepted into a couple of MSc programs for the year 2018-19 and have a couple of questions regarding which one to choose. I have applied to the following programs:
I am currently a finance major with a mathematics minor in the US, I have not studied in the UK before and would therefore appreciate some feedback on what university to select of the above mentioned programs (if accepted to all).
Thanks.

Imperial, UCL, and CASS. In that order.
Reply 2
Original post by studentgrades

Ok, thanks!
I really want the MSc to be quite quantitative, and the CASS MSc is fairly quant oriented; do you know if both the UCL and Imperial programs contains the same amount of maths?
Reply 3
ICL is def very quant, look at the modules and you can choose electives. Some strong areas include risk management and derivatives.
Reply 4
Original post by studentgrades

Hello again,
how would your list change if I added the Warwick MSc Finance, the same at Edinburgh and the MPhil Finance at Cambridge?

Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by ppl2
Hello again,
how would your list change if I added the Warwick MSc Finance, the same at Edinburgh and the MPhil Finance at Cambridge?

Thanks!

Anyone?
Reply 6
Original post by ppl2
Anyone?

ICL, UCL, Warwick and then CASS but you could argue that UCL=Warwick too.

Personally, if you have an offer from UCL I probably wouldn't even consider CASS. Did you apply to LSE?
Reply 7
Original post by ppl2
Thanks.

It can depend what type of career are you looking to go into?
Reply 8
Original post by AzieKhan
ICL, UCL, Warwick and then CASS but you could argue that UCL=Warwick too.

Personally, if you have an offer from UCL I probably wouldn't even consider CASS. Did you apply to LSE?

No, not yet as I havent taken the GMAT or GRE. Still considering doing it though.
Reply 9
Original post by mark.s__
It can depend what type of career are you looking to go into?

Hi,
I am considering working as an analyst, preferably in a "tech focused" hedge fund of some kind. Therefore, I want the degree to be quite mathematically/quant focused which the msc Quantitative Finance at CASS is. Also, have some programming in MATLAB, python or any other useful programming languages.
Original post by ppl2
Hi,
I am considering working as an analyst, preferably in a "tech-focused" hedge fund of some kind. Therefore, I want the degree to be quite mathematically/quant focused which the msc Quantitative Finance at CASS is. Also, have some programming in MATLAB, python or any other useful programming languages.

My first piece of advice if you haven't done so already is looking at the programme specs/electives for each of those institutions you listed in your OP. The term 'finance' in a degree title can vary from institution to institution. If you are looking into Fintech type career some programmes may lean towards a programme for that area [I expect without looking into it myself that CASS will be Fintech heavy]

Next, look at the facilities each are offering - what are the quality of their trading/investment rooms (if they have one) and the types of partnerships that are in place in the industry. Are some of these degrees accredited by CFA / CISI / IFoA for example?

Couple more options for you to look at and this is me being biased having done my undergraduate degree at currently doing my Postgraduate degree at these universities:

University of Reading / ICMA Centre

University of Liverpool in London - Have launched a new MSc Financial and Actuarial Mathematics programme which may be of interest to you.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest