The Student Room Group
Different teachers have different views on what is classed as high. If you don’t get this percentage often there won’t be a problem, just try not to go above 20% in the future :wink:
Where are the similarities? If they're in properly-referenced quotes then there's no issue. If it's copied from somewhere then you've got a problem.
It depends greatly on the subject, though in my experience there are no issues until people start reaching the 30% mark. If you know you haven't plagiarised then you most likely have nothing to fear - though always make sure you reference properly using the style your faculty requires and try paraphrasing if your course and the situation permits it.
On my course that would be considered high. Check with your department/lecturer because ultimately it's up to them.

Even if everything is properly referenced, the issue with such a high similarity is that a quarter of the report is not your work.
I can't even see the similarity report on Turnition. Is it my uni that doesnt allow it or is it something im doing wrong?
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
I can't even see the similarity report on Turnition. Is it my uni that doesnt allow it or is it something im doing wrong?

The teacher can either allow you to see it or not to see it. It’s up to the person, if the allow it then a few minutes after you send it off, you will have a percentage bar come across and also be able to review your work to see which parts came up as plagiarism, in my experience most of the bits of ‘plagiarised’ work I received were just small phrases of a few words and nothing to serious and I ended up with D*. There was one assignment though here I had to fix plagiarism in the retake haha it was 35% I think!😅
Original post by Sarah_g_24
The teacher can either allow you to see it or not to see it. It’s up to the person, if the allow it then a few minutes after you send it off, you will have a percentage bar come across and also be able to review your work to see which parts came up as plagiarism, in my experience most of the bits of ‘plagiarised’ work I received were just small phrases of a few words and nothing to serious and I ended up with D*. There was one assignment though here I had to fix plagiarism in the retake haha it was 35% I think!😅

ive always been curious to check the similarity in my essays. I've done a few submissions with different tutors but never had the option to check similarity :-(
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
ive always been curious to check the similarity in my essays. I've done a few submissions with different tutors but never had the option to check similarity :-(

The teachers who didn’t let us see said if you went and asked for it they would show you, but you won’t need to worry because if there was an issue they’d have brought it up with you by now.
I got about 30% on my last one, and when I checked it, it was my reference list! I can't help it if other people have used the same books as me. :erm:
Reply 10
Original post by leechapman
i have submitted an an assignment on turnitin and it came out with it being at 25% which seems to be fairly high is it or not

It depends on the assignment mate!
I once submitted an annotated bibliography, because every reference was essentially there twice by similarity was like 40% which was fine because it was clear I hadn’t copied and pasted, I actually got 90% mark for that piece of work!
I also had a 2% similarity once, I thought either what I’ve written is amazing OR it’s so much rubbish nobody has ever said such nonsense before 😅.
Reply 11
It's high enough to warrant us to look at the breakdown rather than scan past, but generally not high enough to warrant any real concern.
Original post by Duncan2012
Where are the similarities? If they're in properly-referenced quotes then there's no issue. If it's copied from somewhere then you've got a problem.

What if it is written from a journal article but you have referenced that?

Latest

Trending

Trending