The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

What is there to do in Glasgow

I'm studying abroad in Scotland next year and I'm torn between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Edinburgh is so beautiful and picturesque with lots to do like Princes street, potter trail, the castle, arthurs seat, circus lane etc. However, I love music, fashion and art (museums). Glasgow is like Scotland's cultural capital which I love but I just feel like there isn't as much to do like in Edinburgh, a lot of people here don't ever mention visiting Glasgow, it's always Edinburgh. Glasgow also doesn't seem as nice as Edinburgh. It feels stupid to not choose a school over how pretty the city is but I love that european architecture so I'm hoping i can still get that in Glasgow.

TLDR; Does Glasgow have any historical or cultural attractions? Does the city have any nice architecture like the university? Is there anything to do other then go clubbing?

Scroll to see replies

If you think Glasgow lacks architecture, culture or history - you couldn't be more wrong. I suggest you research the city more; you'll be pleasntly surprised.

As for Edinburgh - the only area it trumps Glasgow regarding aesthetics is the Castle (for obvious reasons). This is also the reason most people outside of Scotland tend to visit Edinburgh over Glasgow... Once you've seen it, you've seen it.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by canadiankingdom
I'm studying abroad in Scotland next year and I'm torn between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Edinburgh is so beautiful and picturesque with lots to do like Princes street, potter trail, the castle, arthurs seat, circus lane etc. However, I love music, fashion and art (museums). Glasgow is like Scotland's cultural capital which I love but I just feel like there isn't as much to do like in Edinburgh, a lot of people here don't ever mention visiting Glasgow, it's always Edinburgh. Glasgow also doesn't seem as nice as Edinburgh. It feels stupid to not choose a school over how pretty the city is but I love that european architecture so I'm hoping i can still get that in Glasgow.

TLDR; Does Glasgow have any historical or cultural attractions? Does the city have any nice architecture like the university? Is there anything to do other then go clubbing?

Glasgow is a lot better than Edinburgh! it's really beautiful and there is lots of interesting buildings. It is honestly an amazing city and the people are so friendly. Also i know lots of people who come to visit. it has better culture and shopping than Edinburgh and the uni is better too!
they're both very different. Edinburgh is more diverse whereas Glasgow could be argued to be more friendly.

Pubs are better in Edinburgh but Glasgow is better for music .

I hope you don't mind rain either because it constantly rains in Glasgow.
They're both great cities, but I am biased towards Glasgow :smile:

There is some beautiful architecture here, lots of it dating back to the 18th and 19th centuries - buildings like the Kelvingrove Museum, St Andrew's in the Square, the Gallery of Modern Art, the city chambers and Glasgow University itself are all beautiful buildings! There's the cathedral as well, dating back to medieval times. Places like Buchanan Street aren't bad either. There are lots of parks too - if you're at the uni of Glasgow, it overlooks Kelvingrove Park.

Possibly Scotland's most famous architect is Charles Rennie Mackintosh. He studied at Glasgow and there are lots of his buildings here in the city, all very beautiful and unique.

It's better for shopping than Edinburgh, and there are more events that take place here too - it's great for music. There are lots of museums, lots of theatres and festivals. It also tends to be a bit cheaper than Edinburgh, which is obviously an advantage as well! And there is easier access from here to travel up to the Highlands and west coast, if you'd like to explore a bit of Scotland while you're here.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
they're both very different. Edinburgh is more diverse whereas Glasgow could be argued to be more friendly.

Pubs are better in Edinburgh but Glasgow is better for music .

I hope you don't mind rain either because it constantly rains in Glasgow.

Sorry man, but by no stretch of the imagination is Edinburgh better than Glasgow for pups.
Original post by pmc:producer
Sorry man, but by no stretch of the imagination is Edinburgh better than Glasgow for pups.

As someone who studied in Glasgow for 5 years and now works in Edinburgh, the pubs are far superior.
As someone who studied in Glasgow for 5 years and now works in Edinburgh, the pubs are far superior.

I don't fancy the whole Gla/Edi debate - but please don't assume studying in a City means you know it (and it certainly doesn't boost yout credibility here). You'll also be drinking in different places now you've left uni (unless you're that guy)... In which case you don't have a fair comparison.

As someone who's born and bred in Glasgow with a best friend who is born and bred in Edinburgh - who's also spent MANY a night in Edinburgh - I can tell you Glasgow goes beyond Curlers Rest and the westend.

Congratulations though, you're the first person I've ever spoken to who rates EDI for a night out over Glasgow. Subjective as the point is.

Also - the music scene in Edinburgh is great, branch out.
I don't fancy the whole Gla/Edi debate - but please don't assume studying in a City means you know it (and it certainly doesn't boost yout credibility here). You'll also be drinking in different places now you've left uni (unless you're that guy)... In which case you don't have a fair comparison.

As someone who's born and bred in Glasgow with a best friend who is born and bred in Edinburgh - who's also spent MANY a night in Edinburgh - I can tell you Glasgow goes beyond Curlers Rest and the westend.

Congratulations though, you're the first person I've ever spoken to who rates EDI for a night out over Glasgow. Subjective as the point is.

Wow you really do have a chip on your shoulder don't you?

See this is where your problem lies. You are a weegie and therefore have an inherent bias towards Glasgow. Seeing as I am from neither city but have spent a considerable amount of time drinking in both cities I am in a far better position to make an informed decision than yourself.

At the end of the day it's all subjective. But I would advise that you work on your reading comprehension.

I never said claimed Edinburgh was the better night out but specifically the pubs were better (here's a fact for you, Edinburgh has more pubs than Glasgow despite being the smaller city).

Now maybe a night out does just entail sitting in Weatherspoons all night for you but that's not the case for most people.

Also never claimed the music scene isn't great in Edinburgh, but Glasgow's is objectively better. Or would you also like to try and obnoxiously argue that point by claiming you have a musician cousin from Edinburgh?

Apologies OP, didn't mean to derail the thread but the wee man had to be lectured.
Wow you really do have a chip on your shoulder don't you?

See this is where your problem lies. You are a weegie and therefore have an inherent bias towards Glasgow. Seeing as I am from neither city but have spent a considerable amount of time drinking in both cities I am in a far better position to make an informed decision than yourself.

At the end of the day it's all subjective. But I would advise that you work on your reading comprehension.

I never said claimed Edinburgh was the better night out but specifically the pubs were better (here's a fact for you, Edinburgh has more pubs than Glasgow despite being the smaller city).

Now maybe a night out does just entail sitting in Weatherspoons all night for you but that's not the case for most people.

Also never claimed the music scene isn't great in Edinburgh, but Glasgow's is objectively better. Or would you also like to try and obnoxiously argue that point by claiming you have a musician cousin from Edinburgh?

Apologies OP, didn't mean to derail the thread but the wee man had to be lectured.

Ill come back to you this last time.

1. If I called a man from Pakistan a Paki, you'd be outraged - don't call me a Weegie.

2. A pub is a 'night out'... Unless you consider it a 'night in'? Ergo it's yourself that should work on reading comprehension. Unless you assumed by 'night out', I meant 'clubbing'? Protip: don't assume.

3. More pubs = better pubs? Donald Trump logic if ever I've seen it.

4. You drink in Weatherspoons? And you're comparing who's more qualified to talk about the quality of pubs? Or is my reading incomprehension off again and actually, you don't that was just 'top bantz man eh'.

5. Will you come back on my original point and agree that student pubs in Glasgow and adult pubs in Edinburgh aren't comparable... Or do you hang about Edinburgh's equivilent of Garage, ABC or worse... Viper?

6. No Edinburgh musician cousin - though given your 5 years at the GUU 'qualifies' you to tell everyone how good the pubs are in Glasgow, I don't think I'd be in any place to comment even if I did.

7. 'Wee man'... 'Lectured'... Jeez. If that's your patter I can imagine you right now sitting in Edinburgh's best Weatherspoons (which is faaar better than Glasgows... You read that from the QMU in The Tab so it must be true). Waiting on your Plenty of Fish date to show up, anxiously hoping she (or he?) doesn't notice that you used my Edinburgh musician cousins photo...

8. OP - I'm not sorry. The thread isn't derailed. It's just highlighted the drab banter you'll find in Edinburgh - if you hang out in Weatherspoons talking to strangers. As with the post, the banter is better in Glasgow. And a wholllle lot classier.

I'm turning notifications off now because I'm imagining this guys Aberdonian - or worse - Dundonian accent as I read his flung-together posts and it's making both my ears and eyes hurt. If you need the name of any good pubs in Glasgow, let me know. I can't promise you'll find any graduates in cheap polyester suits looking to buy you a martini in a Glasgow Weatherspoons though... Sadly.
(edited 6 years ago)
Wow, I mean I really could stop right here because you've just illustrated what a ****ing moron you really are. Well done you silly weegie.

I didn't even bother reading most of the nonsense you spewed all over this page with that reply. You have once again demonstrated that you are completely illiterate. I insinuated that it was you who spent their "nights out" sitting in weatherspoons. Jesus :lol: :lol: no wonder you're a failed graduate.

blah blah hypocritically assuming that I spent all my time in student pubs while in Glasgow. Pro tip - Don't assume. (because it's apparently impossible for students to frequent pubs that aren't primarily aimed towards students?)

Then the signature ending that everyone who is losing an argument uses: "I won't be replying to you anymore", "I'm not reading your posts anymore" except they always do funnily enough.

Better off if you stay away pal. I can't be doing with giving you English lessons every day. And considering this isn't the first time you have got heated with someone over Glasgow vs Edinburgh I'll leave you to your deep underlying issues.

embarrassment to Scotland.

Touchy! Failed graduate? Coming from the boy earning c.£10K less than me easily with zero disposable income sharing a bedsit with 3 other deadbeats in a City can't afford.. You'd give Nuerofen a sore head.

P.s. there was never a debate to lose. You showed yourself up the minute you turned defensive and insulted strangers on a forum with total nonsense & lies...

The only things embarassing Scotland here are a) your accent (we all know and hate it) and b) your patter.
Hahaha just had a look at your post history as you did mine... I'd rather defend Glasgow against people like you than ask how to get in to ticket touting because I've got no money 😂 haha.

Real successful Graduate you are paha. Send your mum down and I'll stuff her pants with fivers.
Touchy! Failed graduate? Coming from the boy earning c.£10K less than me easily with zero disposable income sharing a bedsit with 3 other deadbeats in a City can't afford.. You'd give Nuerofen a sore head.

P.s. there was never a debate to lose. You showed yourself up the minute you turned defensive and insulted strangers on a forum with total nonsense & lies...

The only things embarassing Scotland here are a) your accent (we all know and hate it) and b) your patter.

Thanks for proving my point perfectly :rofl:

I'm done, at least try and give me a challenge next time.
Thanks for proving my point perfectly :rofl:

I'm done, at least try and give me a challenge next time.

Challenge you? Buying tickets on Ticketmaster and reselling them at a higher price is challenging to you 😂

How to affordably stop breaks making noises? The fireman test? All challenging to Mr Success.

You're pathetic buddy. Before I enjoyed the banter. Now I feel immense pity for you.

Best of luck with your affordability questions xxxx
Reply 14
Original post by canadiankingdom

Sex
Reply 15

Never heard of autovac return trays then?

I'll stick to wegie pubs where I don't get slops for overpriced beer.
Challenge you? Buying tickets on Ticketmaster and reselling them at a higher price is challenging to you 😂

How to affordably stop breaks making noises? The fireman test? All challenging to Mr Success.

You're pathetic buddy. Before I enjoyed the banter. Now I feel immense pity for you.

Best of luck with your affordability questions xxxx

Oh don't worry about me, I've secured quick progression to a cushy well paid Civil Service role.

Must suck that you're not even sure what your career path is. Enjoy doing your qualifications again :lol:
Reply 17

As a southsider Curlers is pretty rubbish. Laurieston ftw

Edinburgh isn't as bad as I expected for music, liquid rooms is decent but overall Glasgow wins.

For me the lack of tourists and cost of living make Glasgow better. Edinburgh great to visit mind. Just as London is but not a place to live.
Original post by Quady
Never heard of autovac return trays then?

I'll stick to wegie pubs where I don't get slops for overpriced beer.

A reasonable point (rare in this thread).

Is it genuinely just an Edinburgh issue though? I know Yorkshire is known to be bad for it too.

End of the day it's like Kebabs. I don't really care what's inside or how it got there, as long as it tastes alright and gives me the satisfaction.
Original post by Quady
As a southsider Curlers is pretty rubbish. Laurieston ftw

Edinburgh isn't as bad as I expected for music, liquid rooms is decent but overall Glasgow wins.

For me the lack of tourists and cost of living make Glasgow better. Edinburgh great to visit mind. Just as London is but not a place to live.

100% - Edinburgh is cracking for the day, the Christmas markets with the better half or the Fringe (on occassion).

Overwheming amount of tourists saps the atmosphere.

Best pub? SARRY HEID.

Quick Reply

Latest