The Student Room Group

Can you do a course that's related to Physics at uni without maths A level?

I'm currently in year 12 and studying Physics, Biology and Geography. I don't really enjoy Geography at all but enjoy physics more than Biology. I definitely want to go to university but not a clue of what to do. Are there course you can do at uni that are Physics related but don't require maths? What courses would you suggests with my Alevel choices?
Original post by Ellafen
I'm currently in year 12 and studying Physics, Biology and Geography. I don't really enjoy Geography at all but enjoy physics more than Biology. I definitely want to go to university but not a clue of what to do. Are there course you can do at uni that are Physics related but don't require maths? What courses would you suggests with my Alevel choices?

Hi,

Most courses that are directly related to physics need maths as they are very mathematically orientated subjects. You can look at University prospectuses to get an idea about the subjects available and the requirements needed for them. :smile:
Hi , i’m sorry that this doesn’t answer your question but i’m hoping you could help me?! I’m in year 11 now and am hoping to do medicine at uni so i have chosen biology, chemistry and physics at a level but i’m worried about doing the physics without doing a level maths despite my teachers telling me my maths ability is enough (i’m good at maths but i find it boring and would much rather do physics). How do you find physics without a level maths?
Original post by Ellafen

For straight physics/astrophysics/theoretical physycs - I think Plymouth doesn't require A-level maths for their straight physics course but all other physics courses do, physics is maths heavy and tbh you wouldn't know if you would enjoy a physics degree unless you have done A-level maths, A-level physics is nothing like degree level physics (to the point where I dont see why they ask for a physics A-level in the requirements tbh)

What do you want to do career wise? this will help you decide what degree to do, if you dont have a clue then you should spend a load of time looking at lots of different careers. There isnt much point in doing a degree in X, then finding out what you want to do and realising that you need a degree in Y (this happens a good amount of the time, especially for people who do academic subjects like physics over more vocational ones like medicine or engineering etc)

You could do a foundation year in physics or take a year out and do A-level maths
Original post by Ellasimpson_
Hi , i’m sorry that this doesn’t answer your question but i’m hoping you could help me?! I’m in year 11 now and am hoping to do medicine at uni so i have chosen biology, chemistry and physics at a level but i’m worried about doing the physics without doing a level maths despite my teachers telling me my maths ability is enough (i’m good at maths but i find it boring and would much rather do physics). How do you find physics without a level maths?

There is only a TINY amount of A-level maths in a-level physics, maybe about 30-40 mins worth of learning time maths wise at most. I have no idea why people say you need a-level maths to do a-level physics, it doesnt really help at all. The majority of A-level physics maths is rearranging equations and plugging numbers into formulas
Original post by madmadmax321
There is only a TINY amount of A-level maths in a-level physics, maybe about 30-40 mins worth of learning time maths wise at most. I have no idea why people say you need a-level maths to do a-level physics, it doesnt really help at all. The majority of A-level physics maths is rearranging equations and plugging numbers into formulas

Oh brilliant thank you so much!! Would you recommend i keep in practice with gcse maths for a level physics or would just doing past paper physics questions be fine?
Original post by Ellasimpson_
Oh brilliant thank you so much!! Would you recommend i keep in practice with gcse maths for a level physics or would just doing past paper physics questions be fine?

just make sure you can remember how to rearrange simple algebraic equations, how to do simultaneous equations and thats it I think

So no real need to recover any gcse knowledge unless you find you need to when you start (I dont think any of the A-level physics knowledge required gcse physics knowledge either from what I remember, but even if it did I (and everyone in my a level physics class) had forgotten it by the time year 12 started anyway and that didnt hinder anyone)
Reply 7
Hi, that's alright. I had the same question. I'm going to be perfectly honest with you, it is hard. It's manageable. I personally find the amount of content we have to learn more challenging than the actual maths. If you're planning on doing all three sciences then physics won't be the only maths you do. Chemistry has loads of maths too. If you have a secure mathematical background you'll be fine. I think you need a 6 in maths at GCSE but would recommend getting a 7 and up. But if you're hard working you will be able to do it.
Original post by madmadmax321
just make sure you can remember how to rearrange simple algebraic equations, how to do simultaneous equations and thats it I think

So no real need to recover any gcse knowledge unless you find you need to when you start (I dont think any of the A-level physics knowledge required gcse physics knowledge either from what I remember, but even if it did I (and everyone in my a level physics class) had forgotten it by the time year 12 started anyway and that didnt hinder anyone)

Thank you for your help, i’ll keep this in mind.
Original post by Ellafen
Hi, that's alright. I had the same question. I'm going to be perfectly honest with you, it is hard. It's manageable. I personally find the amount of content we have to learn more challenging than the actual maths. If you're planning on doing all three sciences then physics won't be the only maths you do. Chemistry has loads of maths too. If you have a secure mathematical background you'll be fine. I think you need a 6 in maths at GCSE but would recommend getting a 7 and up. But if you're hard working you will be able to do it.

Thank you for your advice! I know that no options will be easy and im willing to put in hard work but im glad to know you’ve found it manageable. Yes ive noticed that about chemistry but a level maths is only recommended with physics at my school so that’s why i worried about physics. Hopefully my maths will be strong enough, along with help from my teacher if we do anything I struggle with!

Quick Reply

Latest