The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher History 2017/18

Hello everyone,

Noticed there wasn’t a thread for this years AH History!

I’m studying Russia 1917-1953

What topics are you doing?
How are you preparing?
How do you revise for history

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Blookie
Hello everyone,

How are you preparing?

I'm doing the same as u.

tbh I've done v little work and I have no teacher rn :frown: for reference can u say how many essays you have done cos I feel quite behind.
for revision I plan on just writing essays and memorising notes etc then just piecing it together in the exam
Reply 2
Original post by Puppo
I'm doing the same as u.

tbh I've done v little work and I have no teacher rn :frown: for reference can u say how many essays you have done cos I feel quite behind.
for revision I plan on just writing essays and memorising notes etc then just piecing it together in the exam

We have finished 5 essays, just completing Stalin and Collectivisation. As well as this, we’ve started our dissertations.

How much historiography are you learning?
Reply 3
Original post by Blookie
We have finished 5 essays, just completing Stalin and Collectivisation. As well as this, we’ve started our dissertations.

How much historiography are you learning?

I have done 4 essays good to know I'm not too far behind! I try to get a minimum of 2 bits of historiography per paragraph in my essays. I've started my 1st draft of the disser (I'm doing to what extent was the Soviet unjon under Stalin a totalitarian state). I'm just about to start Stalin and collectivisation.
Reply 4
Original post by Puppo
I have done 4 essays good to know I'm not too far behind! I try to get a minimum of 2 bits of historiography per paragraph in my essays. I've started my 1st draft of the disser (I'm doing to what extent was the Soviet unjon under Stalin a totalitarian state). I'm just about to start Stalin and collectivisation.

I’m doing Stalin and his paranoia which is fun!

Okay, what marks you currently getting?
Reply 5
Original post by Blookie
I’m doing Stalin and his paranoia which is fun!

Okay, what marks you currently getting?

Ah, that sounds really interesting!

My previous teacher didn't give our essays marks as they don't agree with it or some bs. Makes it really tricky to gauge how I'm doing! The comments they left were positive tho, wbu?

also how long are your essays mine average 2700 words not sure how long they ought to be.
Reply 6
Original post by Puppo
Ah, that sounds really interesting!

My previous teacher didn't give our essays marks as they don't agree with it or some bs. Makes it really tricky to gauge how I'm doing! The comments they left were positive tho, wbu?

also how long are your essays mine average 2700 words not sure how long they ought to be.

I got 17/25 on my first essay (I was so confused how I did so well) and I’ve been getting 18-19 so far. Calculated these marks as good as they mean an A

I have no clue. Usually 3 double paged A4, depending how ridiculous my poor handwriting gets ahahha.

Are you a tsarist or do you agree with the revolution?
Reply 7
Original post by Blookie
Hello everyone,

How are you preparing?

Hey,
I'm studying South Africa 1902-1984
I have just been doing past papers and going over notes. How have you guys been finding the dissertation?
Original post by Blookie
Hello everyone,

How are you preparing?

Original post by Puppo
I'm doing the same as u.

Original post by ali276
Hey,
I'm studying South Africa 1902-1984
I have just been doing past papers and going over notes. How have you guys been finding the dissertation?

How are you all getting on with the course and exam prep?
Reply 9
Original post by Labrador99
How are you all getting on with the course and exam prep?

disser due on Thursday still need to finish last chapter and write a conclusion haha help. Course is okay, need to do more source questions though
Original post by Puppo
disser due on Thursday still need to finish last chapter and write a conclusion haha help. Course is okay, need to do more source questions though

Sounds like you are getting there with it though! One last push :smile: Bet it will be a relief to be rid of it!
Reply 11
Original post by Labrador99
Sounds like you are getting there with it though! One last push :smile: Bet it will be a relief to be rid of it!

Yes, I can't wait haha. Although, I'm not looking forward to reading it again in June and seeing all my mistakes! My disser had 3 chapters with 3 paras per chapter (mini conclusion at end of each para) however I'm running out of words so do you happen to know if it would be ok to have a chapter with only 2 paras or is that too short (it would he around 900 words)?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
I think the word limit should be significantly extended
Original post by Puppo
Yes, I can't wait haha. Although, I'm not looking forward to reading it again in June and seeing all my mistakes! My disser had 3 chapters with 3 paras per chapter (mini conclusion at end of each para) however I'm running out of words so do you happen to know if it would be ok to have a chapter with only 2 paras or is that too short (it would he around 900 words)?
Reply 13
Original post by Blookie

ikr it's nowhere near enough!
Reply 14
Original post by Puppo
Original post by Puppo

:smile: Aw, I guess we will all do that with various pieces of coursework at some point! Just need to think about what is done is done, no regrets if you did your best at the time :smile:

Unfortunately I have no idea about that, sorry!
Original post by LucyLeesCampbell
Hi,

I'm studying Advanced Higher History this year but I am in a mixed class with National 5 & Higher (History and Modern Studies) candidates so I haven't had any teaching. As a result, I am finding the essays difficult and have not managed any more than after the Civil War. Would anyone mind sending me their essays (anything past the Civil War) so I can read over them please?

Thank you

:wavey: Here's the thread I mentioned :smile:
Anyone able to help???

Original post by cello_mad16
Hi there! So with just over a month to the exam our class (well just 2 of us!) have only written 1 compete essay and one smaller one for the assessments. I'm doing Weimar and Nazi Germany but is anyone got any tip on how to write some essays and then revise them in time for the exam?!

:wavey: Thought you might find this thread useful :smile:
How do people revise advanced higher history, I'm doing Russia, my dissertation went very well but I have no idea how to actually revise it unlike higher where it was obvious which questions would come up. Help would be very much appreciated.
Reply 19
Original post by millerac
How do people revise advanced higher history, I'm doing Russia, my dissertation went very well but I have no idea how to actually revise it unlike higher where it was obvious which questions would come up. Help would be very much appreciated.

I'm doing Russia too. My disser got changed a few weeks before deadline so not as confident as I was with the old one but hopefully it's oka. We still need to cover the last topic or 2. I might just make mind maps for all topics and memorise them and some appropriate historiography. Maybe make essay plans as well? Higher was so easy I miss it 😭 source questions I guess I'll just practise answering them haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending