The Student Room Group

.What to do about racism in school

HiFor a long time I've had a problem with racism in my school. My friends make racist jokes at me since we usually make fun of each others families but they know nothing of mine. I've experienced racism in a certain subject school (don't want to say incase those people somehow find this post). It usually involves making fun of my Indian descent and and some other stuff. I try to speak back but I keep stuttering when I speak and fail to say what I want to say. I don't know any racist things to say back to these guys cos they're all white. I can't really leave the school cos I find it difficult to make friends and I also made my mind up for staying at the school for sixth form. I don't know if I'm being oversensitive or something like that but I just hate that feeling of coming home unhappy.Thanks
Report it to a teacher, reporting racism is not telling tales, it's essential that you do that.
First of all, it is totally unacceptable!! You're not being oversensitive, you should definitely firstly speak to these people making these comments and educate them. They probably grew up thinking it's ok and they will leave school take their racism with them. If you don't feel comfortable confronting them directly, you should speak to a teacher. It's against your schools anti-bullying policy and they have the obligation to take action. Feeling unhappy in school will have an impact on how you perform and your overall mood.
Have you spoken to your parents/family members about this? If you haven't, i'd advice you to do this.
I hope things get better and just remember you will do better in life than those ignorant people at your school!
Reply 3
Original post by JMR2018
Report it to a teacher, reporting racism is not telling tales, it's essential that you do that.

The thing is I doubt there is a single teacher in the school that I trust with something as important as this. Maybe one but I wouldn't feel comfortable
Original post by skits267
The thing is I doubt there is a single teacher in the school that I trust with something as important as this. Maybe one but I wouldn't feel comfortable

You could get a parent to send a letter into the office
Reply 5
Original post by ellie0497
First of all, it is totally unacceptable!! You're not being oversensitive, you should definitely firstly speak to these people making these comments and educate them. They probably grew up thinking it's ok and they will leave school take their racism with them. If you don't feel comfortable confronting them directly, you should speak to a teacher. It's against your schools anti-bullying policy and they have the obligation to take action. Feeling unhappy in school will have an impact on how you perform and your overall mood.
Have you spoken to your parents/family members about this? If you haven't, i'd advice you to do this.
I hope things get better and just remember you will do better in life than those ignorant people at your school!

Thanks for the advice. Confronting these guys won't change their racist beliefs. I might try and talk to older sibling about this soon.
Reply 6
Original post by es017
You could get a parent to send a letter into the office

I don't know if I want to get my parents involved cos they might take things too far but I'll talk to my older sibling about this.
Original post by skits267
HiFor a long time I've had a problem with racism in my school. My friends make racist jokes at me since we usually make fun of each others families but they know nothing of mine. I've experienced racism in a certain subject school (don't want to say incase those people somehow find this post). It usually involves making fun of my Indian descent and and some other stuff. I try to speak back but I keep stuttering when I speak and fail to say what I want to say. I don't know any racist things to say back to these guys cos they're all white. I can't really leave the school cos I find it difficult to make friends and I also made my mind up for staying at the school for sixth form. I don't know if I'm being oversensitive or something like that but I just hate that feeling of coming home unhappy.Thanks

If it's any consolation, these imbeciles will most likely end up becoming mothers/fathers at 15-16 and will most likely fail even the most basic qualifications possible. Exactly what happened in my previous secondary school.

You could speak to a teacher, but in all honesty, I don't think it's going to do much. They tend to call their mothers/fathers in which typically react like this: " innit OI MY SON JOHNNY AINT DONE NO NOTHING WRONG". These kids do not respond to authority because their parents have never disciplined them properly.
Do you tend to react to their nasty comments? Pond-scum are generally looking for a response from you when they do these things.
(edited 6 years ago)
Is it ethnic banter or is it truly their racist beliefs? If you can't take a bit of poking fun out of your heritage because you're too fragile then that's on you and it's not their fault that you can't hit back with anything good. But if it is truly racist with no friendly humour then yea, report and potentially destroy their lives, rep sticks. But the thing is that you said these guys are your friends, so what happened that felt them comfortable enough to talk to this way. Is it possible that they felt relaxed around you enough to incude you in ethnic banter (scots vs english, north vs south, brits vs indians) all in good jest and that maybe they misinterpreted some signals. Correct them, threaten with reporting. Should end your friendship and stop the abuse. Win Win.
Just ignore all racist white people.
We need to eradicate them from society.
I know how you feel with stuttering when standing up for yourself, really horrible situation you’re in. I think you need to tell the friends to stop, write it down first and practice a few times can stop the stutter. when they say something just say “look, i’m not trying to start an argument or anything but can you guys stop making comments about my race? It’s been bothering me and I don’t find it funny” that way they might not get so defensive. The last thing a “its a joke” racist wants is to be called racist and if you dont want to involve school then your best bet is just talking to them like that.

If they still don’t stop you really need to distance yourself from them. I know its hard when you don’t have a lot of friends and you feel like you’ll be alone, but isn’t that better than being made to feel so bad all the time?

My last point is that a lot changes in sixty form, even at the same school it seemed to change friendship groups dramatically. Leaving these friends isn’t going to make you alone forever, just for a while. I hope this helps
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
Is it ethnic banter or is it truly their racist beliefs? If you can't take a bit of poking fun out of your heritage because you're too fragile then that's on you and it's not their fault that you can't hit back with anything good. But if it is truly racist with no friendly humour then yea, report and potentially destroy their lives, rep sticks. But the thing is that you said these guys are your friends, so what happened that felt them comfortable enough to talk to this way. Is it possible that they felt relaxed around you enough to incude you in ethnic banter (scots vs english, north vs south, brits vs indians) all in good jest and that maybe they misinterpreted some signals. Correct them, threaten with reporting. Should end your friendship and stop the abuse. Win Win.

does making terrorist jokes towards me, constant indian stereotypes such as doctors, mean comments about me not being able to access clean water etc come under racist beliefs. I should probably mention that the people in my class are separate to the people who I call my friends.
Reply 12
Original post by cat_mac
I know how you feel with stuttering when standing up for yourself, really horrible situation you’re in. I think you need to tell the friends to stop, write it down first and practice a few times can stop the stutter. when they say something just say “look, i’m not trying to start an argument or anything but can you guys stop making comments about my race? It’s been bothering me and I don’t find it funny” that way they might not get so defensive. The last thing a “its a joke” racist wants is to be called racist and if you dont want to involve school then your best bet is just talking to them like that.

If they still don’t stop you really need to distance yourself from them. I know its hard when you don’t have a lot of friends and you feel like you’ll be alone, but isn’t that better than being made to feel so bad all the time?

My last point is that a lot changes in sixty form, even at the same school it seemed to change friendship groups dramatically. Leaving these friends isn’t going to make you alone forever, just for a while. I hope this helps

Thanks for the advice. It means a lot
Reply 13
Original post by Blue_Cow
If it's any consolation, these imbeciles will most likely end up becoming mothers/fathers at 15-16 and will most likely fail even the most basic qualifications possible. Exactly what happened in my previous secondary school.

You could speak to a teacher, but in all honesty, I don't think it's going to do much. They tend to call their mothers/fathers in which typically react like this: " innit OI MY SON JOHNNY AINT DONE NO NOTHING WRONG". These kids do not respond to authority because their parents have never disciplined them properly.
Do you tend to react to their nasty comments? Pond-scum are generally looking for a response from you when they do these things.

I don't smile when they say these things but even if I did it's really hard to fake a laugh for this. when my friends first started with the racism I allowed it, hoping that by giving no reaction they would stop but they didnt. About the people in my class I may just sit there awkwardly without smiling while they go on
I tend to air on the hesitant side when opening threads like this.. but everything you have said so far sounds like text-book bullying, in this case using race as their main method.

As with any problem in life you now have two key choices, to confront or to avoid. Avoiding may sound bad, but sometimes its the best and safest decision.. other times its not.

If you choose to confront the problem head on, then I would advise you make sure that at least some of the confrontation is carried out by you. Your young, and you have societal views in your corner, which should mean the school backs you up. But don't let the school do it all. Personally my course of action would be to confront them myself first, show them exactly how you feel and what you are capable of.. but include the threat to escalate it further. Should they then continue the escalation, then get the school involved, whilst continuing the confrontation yourself. This shows them and everyone else that its you who is fighting, the school is just a tool your willing to use to win. Its a much more satisfying approach then just letting teachers handle it completely, and one that should give you confidence in the future to deal with these situations.. but it does not entirely leave you at risk of combating the problem on your own.

The other option is to avoid the problem. Either piratically or mentally. I don't know your situation, but sometimes this is the best option. The two most obvious choices are either just to persists and ignore it, or to see the school about moving classes. Persisting is my least favourite choice - moving is often better. My sister is a good example of how moving classes can save a student. She was relentlessly bullied during secondary school for her medical conditions and weight - until she requested to be moved. No students were ever told why, it was confidential, and they consulted with the other teachers to find a better class. She clicked right away with the new class, and 15 years later is still friends with some. I would hate to think what the outcomes on her mental health, grades and future would have been had she stayed in her original class.

All in all, there are options - just think them through carefully, talk with who ever you trust to help, and then be decisive in your actions.
Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. That said, you still need to report it
had a guy who pretended to act hardd all the time and bragged about drinking vodka then got called out for lying when he got breathalysed. He also tries to put other people down and no one in his house likes him. I'm not blaming you but i feel that it isn't just the fact that you are Indian that gets you bullied. Try to stay away from them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending