The Student Room Group

GCSE Help/Tips to Y10s/11s (8A*s, 4As)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AryanGh
1) My favourite subject at GCSE? Oooh tough question, honestly I'd say either Physics or Chemistry, mostly because of my teacher than for the GCSE curriculum itself, as well as having a passion for it, probably Computing as well because I just enjoy programming.

2) Favourite A Level? Well it's too early to make a definitive decision, but I'd definitely say Chemistry, don't get me wrong, the step up from GCSE to A Level, is HUGE, because they're essentially corrected all the lies they taught at GCSE, but it's very very interesting, I'm glad I took it. :smile:

3) Aspirations, honestly, I have no clue: Ideally Chemical Engineering, or some form of Engineering, or maybe straight Chemistry/Computer Science, at a top uni like Cambridge or RG like Bristol.

4) Y10? Honestly, I'm not gonna high road this one, I did s***. I got a 9 in Maths, A* in Computing, Geography, Chem and Physics but besides that, I got 6 in both Englishs, a C in RE, a C in Biology, and a low C in French, I only really decided to tryhard in Y11

5) If we're talking free time in A Levels? Virtually 0. Free time in GCSES? If I wasn't gaming, or programming, I would be playing Table Tennis, I was, (and still am) captain of the school team of Table Tennis, and was frequently at competitions and tournaments, especially during the later half of Y10 and beginning of Y11, so basically I missed a lot of the first month of Y11 :rofl:

Thanks for replying!
Im absolutely LOVING physics and chemistry! I've got really high grades in both exams which im pleased with! Im also loving maths and attained 81% in my previous test which im quite disappointed with since the marks i lost were all silly mistakes! Still very thankful for the mark though! I aspire to study Medicine at Cambridge Xxxx
Hi,
I'm REALLY struggling at physics, I'm not naturally great at it and find it a bit dull so am falling behind. The more I stress the harder it becomes and I just can't seem to get any better at it?!
Any tips for improving at physics?
Lol plz help me :')))
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Moppet
I'm finding it ok but there's a lot more homework than at GCSE :smile: My subjects are Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Geography. How are you finding your a-levels?

the work load is insane, im perpetually in a state of revision, did you do fm in parallel? We're doing Maths AS first and then Further Maths AS.
Original post by eleanoric
Hi,
I'm REALLY struggling at physics, I'm not naturally great at it and find it a bit dull so am falling behind. The more I stress the harder it becomes and I just can't seem to get any better at it?!
Any tips for improving at physics?
Lol plz help me :':wink:))

if this is new spec than i kinda sympathise with you, not getting the equations and all.

Honestly with Physics my main strategy was again dumbing down my notes until I could make sense of them from 1 trigger word, i.e saying the word 'terminal velocity' I would be able to explain the tough bits because I digested them down enough to make sense of it. Once you get the basics, the complex is open to you. Most of my Physics exam was just plugging in variables into various equations and then just noting down whatever answer I got, idk why but it worked kek.
Original post by AryanGh
I got an A* in biology, and I think that was simply because in the old spec it was way more content-applied ratio than in the other sciences, so most of the GCSE exam was just recalling what you know.

Trust me, there's a reason why I didn't do this for A Level, in Y10/11, I SUCKED at Biology, i.e, I was the most inconsistent little **** ever when it came to the mock tests, I'd go from A* to C real quick, mostly the latter. How I managed to turn around was just, extremely dumbing down my notes, i.e I'd take notes from my textbook/exercise notes, then find ways to make that even dumber, and even dumber, to the point where it's just a couple of words on a flashcard, the result of this is that by recalling just words, words that crop up in exam questions, you'll come to remember the more complex stuff that it represents.

English Literature, that's a whole different ballgame, I did An Inspector Calls, Macbeth, Jekyll and Hyde, and the Poetry Anthology on AQA. For Macbeth, the one thing I made sure to revise were the key themes (at least for me), ambition ambition ambition, supernatural supernatural supernatural, good and evil, kingship, religion/divine right, etc. The CGP textbooks I used for Macbeth were great, because they picked apart every bit of the text, and managed to connect it to each theme. Because I'm a bit of a history nerd, I excelled at the context side of things, I.e religion, kingship/divine right, witchcraft relating to evil, gender roles (lady macbeth/macbeth exerting dominance on macbeth, which was probably a weird concept back then), etc, also I spammed 'A Jacobean audience would....', for extra marks.

As opposed to structure? I'd simply recommend MrBruff, he is amazing for both Lit and Lang as he picks apart each question and gives tailored strategies for how you should present each answer to attain maximum marks, he was the difference for me that caused me to get a 9, that, and a natural ability to waffle in the exam. You clearly have the ability to analyse, so if it's just how you present the answer that worries you, he's your guy,

Anything else? :h:

Thanks dude I really appreciate it. I guess If you have any help with languages I'll be extremely grateful, because I have just given up on Spanish, I don't even care if I fail it anymore I'm just that bad. I guess if i have no motivation no revision techniques will help, but maybe ill get some in the future...with what little time I have till my GCSE's xD
Original post by A.N123
Thanks for replying!
Im absolutely LOVING physics and chemistry! I've got really high grades in both exams which im pleased with! Im also loving maths and attained 81% in my previous test which im quite disappointed with since the marks i lost were all silly mistakes! Still very thankful for the mark though! I aspire to study Medicine at Cambridge Xxxx

A very noble goal indeed! I'm sure you'll make it with this kind of positive mindset, mind you, you still have ages away to decide! So make sure to relish the last bits of freedom before the A Levels start :rofl:

All jokes aside, Chemistry at A Level is super fun and the experiments are so much better than the ones at GCSE. You do have to pass all of them to get a grade in the A Level though.
Original post by mc_miah
Thanks dude I really appreciate it. I guess If you have any help with languages I'll be extremely grateful, because I have just given up on Spanish, I don't even care if I fail it anymore I'm just that bad. I guess if i have no motivation no revision techniques will help, but maybe ill get some in the future...with what little time I have till my GCSE's xD

Oh languages,

I still don't know how I managed to clutch the A in French, but I didn't revise until the week before for the actual exam, so.

Is it speaking, writing, reading/listening or all of the above you need help with?
Original post by AryanGh
Oh languages,

I still don't know how I managed to clutch the A in French, but I didn't revise until the week before for the actual exam, so.

Is it speaking, writing, reading/listening or all of the above you need help with?

LOOOOOOL oh dear i'm really bad at this subject. Mainly writing and reading/listening. You see I'm predicted 4 in Spanish which is barely a pass, however in all the mocks I have been getting 2's and 3's...I feel like I should just go over vocab and basic grammatical structures and phrases, and maybe the three main tenses in order to scrape a 4 but I don't feel like I should put any effort into that language at all. If you any websites that could help I'll also appreciate.
Original post by mc_miah
LOOOOOOL oh dear i'm really bad at this subject. Mainly writing and reading/listening. You see I'm predicted 4 in Spanish which is barely a pass, however in all the mocks I have been getting 2's and 3's...I feel like I should just go over vocab and basic grammatical structures and phrases, and maybe the three main tenses in order to scrape a 4 but I don't feel like I should put any effort into that language at all. If you any websites that could help I'll also appreciate.

For reading/listening! Just past papers, I understand that it's new spec, but it never hurts to do old spec past papers to test your exam skills/technique. I literally just memorised some common vocabulary in the vocab book I was given, just the more practice the better for that one really, as well for reading, picking out certain words, verbs, etc that stick out to you in past papers and looking them up, in the exam, pick out key words that give meaning and you construct a rough meaning of a sentence which develops.

For writing,
write out your sentence
over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over

Until you remember every bit until you have trigger words.
Original post by AryanGh
For reading/listening! Just past papers, I understand that it's new spec, but it never hurts to do old spec past papers to test your exam skills/technique. I literally just memorised some common vocabulary in the vocab book I was given, just the more practice the better for that one really, as well for reading, picking out certain words, verbs, etc that stick out to you in past papers and looking them up, in the exam, pick out key words that give meaning and you construct a rough meaning of a sentence which develops.

For writing,
write out your sentence
over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over
and over

Until you remember every bit until you have trigger words.

Hi,@AryanGh

I'm Mo and I'm in Year 11,how do you pass Maths? Your grades is so amazing! I'm doing 9-1 Edexcel Maths (Foundation tier because I'm a bit slow at it).
Original post by ''Mo''ster0224
Hi,@AryanGh

I'm Mo and I'm in Year 11,how do you pass Maths? Your grades is so amazing! I'm doing 9-1 Edexcel Maths (Foundation tier because I'm a bit slow at it).

Hi Mo! I appreciate your kind comments! Honestly, if you're aiming for top grades in foundation (a 5 I think), the only real substitute I can offer to you is just plain practice, Maths isn't one of those subjects where at GCSE you can just flashcard and cram to success (though I did manage that comfortably with some other subjects! :rofl:), use places like khanacademy, or examsolutions, they can be really beneficial, if you can't remember things like circle theorems or trig formulas, perhaps write it on a sticky so it can linger in the mind.
Original post by AryanGh
Hi Mo! I appreciate your kind comments! Honestly, if you're aiming for top grades in foundation (a 5 I think), the only real substitute I can offer to you is just plain practice, Maths isn't one of those subjects where at GCSE you can just flashcard and cram to success (though I did manage that comfortably with some other subjects! :rofl:), use places like khanacademy, or examsolutions, they can be really beneficial, if you can't remember things like circle theorems or trig formulas, perhaps write it on a sticky so it can linger in the mind.

Okay,thanks!:u:
Hi
So I m currently doing foundation in maths and I really want to do higher what shall I do?

How do you revise for English language and literature ?

How did you revise for all the subject and how long did u spend ?

Sorry for so many question.
Original post by mc_miah
How did you do well in English Literature and Biology. I'm simply naturally **** at biology but excel at the other two sciences. Furthermore, Eng Lit is always my worst out of the Englishes, I can provide deep connotations etc. But can never write it in a way that is convincing.

How did your deal with the two? How did you revise for the two especially English Lit. Im doing Lord of the Flies and Macbeth for it.

For English Lit make sure you know your texts/plays/books absolutely inside out. Literally inside out. Then learn loads of quotes; in the 100s of quotes for each one. Also, have some versatile quotes with very good analysis that can be used in several essays and memorise these. Perfect the essay writing style (this is what determines a very high quality piece of work). I did this for my second literature exam (LOTF and poetry) and got 95/96.
How are you finding a level chemistry? And could you give me any tips for physics please as i have chosen to do a level physics next year without maths?
Original post by Ellasimpson_
How are you finding a level chemistry? And could you give me any tips for physics please as i have chosen to do a level physics next year without maths?

I actually self taught most of AS Chem in Y10 and 11, I'm doing AS and A2 this year, I'm finding it highly enjoyable, if it's natural to you at GCSE, and have a passion, you'll love it at A Level.

A Level Physics requires no big maths you wouldn't have been taught at higher level GCSE, the most advanced it might get is logs, that's about it. The course is specifically designed so that people who don't take Maths have an equal likelihood of succeeding.
Original post by Jpatel70
Hi
So I m currently doing foundation in maths and I really want to do higher what shall I do?

How do you revise for English language and literature ?

How did you revise for all the subject and how long did u spend ?

Sorry for so many question.

If you're banging out the results in foundation papers and find the work to be boring and feel you need a bit more of a challenge, by all means bump up, i believe the next question has been answered already.
Original post by AryanGh
I actually self taught most of AS Chem in Y10 and 11, I'm doing AS and A2 this year, I'm finding it highly enjoyable, if it's natural to you at GCSE, and have a passion, you'll love it at A Level.

A Level Physics requires no big maths you wouldn't have been taught at higher level GCSE, the most advanced it might get is logs, that's about it. The course is specifically designed so that people who don't take Maths have an equal likelihood of succeeding.

Wow that’s amazing! I will have a look and the spec and try it myself!
Some people tell me this and others say that you virtually can’t do it without doing maths too. Im willing to put in hard work to be able to do physics alone but if there’s not too much advanced maths in it then hopefully i will be okay :smile:
Thank you for your help!!
Hii, those are great results :biggrin:

Can you give me a brief overview of how to revise the following: English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, French and Religious Studies? Mostly English because, being more STEM-oriented, I struggle with it.

I'm considering the A levels you're doing - would you recommend?

Thanks in advance :h:
Original post by River Otter
Hii, those are great results :biggrin:

Can you give me a brief overview of how to revise the following: English Language, English Literature, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, French and Religious Studies? Mostly English because, being more STEM-oriented, I struggle with it.

I'm considering the A levels you're doing - would you recommend?

Thanks in advance :h:

I'm self studying CompSci on top, honestly it depends on how you are with workload and stuffs, im doing 4AS and 1A2 (Chem) and I'm still (barely) getting by, picking to your strength as well as to your passion diminishes the weight of the workload.

I know what you mean about being more STEM-oriented, that has been, and always will be me, tbh!

I can pretty do one senteces with these

Eng Lit/Lang: watch MrBruff, I can not suggest this enough, he literally helps you piece by piece and develops the ideal tactics for each question in each paper and an ideal formula if you will for paragraphs, try to condense quotes and themes immensely, i did spider maps to connect basic quotes to themes and extrapolated.

Maths: You seem to be alright at Maths if you're more STEM oriented, just do grade 9 questions and examsolutions/khanacademy for stuff you don't know, and past papers, there really isn't any other substitute in maths.

Biology: my worst science to me because it was so much more content and less application, i just made condensed flashcards of every point, and asked questions on the otherside, so that it would train me to answer questions, perhaps use some trigger words that will help you remember the bigger picture.

Physics: you no longer have the formulas anymore so putting those on a flashcard or sticky is handy, i just again did condensed stickies and flashcards and just did past papers tbh, the same goes with Chemistry, RE too.

Geography: I flopped because i neglected the case studies. DON'T NEGLECT THE CASE STUDIES. Make sure you know basics of each thing first, i.e '2000 people died, 400 mil pound debt, etc' and from those you can build up to more eloquent and sophisticated answers and explanation, i.e 'as a consquence of, this caused, a long term effect of this was'. Also for physical processes, dumb it down, dumb it down hard, split things up into steps or sections.

French: Literally just past paper grind and writing down vocab you pick up from your exams, try to learn some key vocab in your vocab book if that was given.

Hoped that helped somewhat.

Quick Reply

Latest