The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Does Japanese and Korean exist at SOAS?

I accidentally applied for Korean and Japanese thinking it was Japanese and Korean (main difference being which country you do your year abroad in). I couldn't find Japanese and Korean on UCAS HOWEVER I've heard of people on TSR doing it. Can anyone help????

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by squishysquash
I accidentally applied for Korean and Japanese thinking it was Japanese and Korean (main difference being which country you do your year abroad in). I couldn't find Japanese and Korean on UCAS HOWEVER I've heard of people on TSR doing it. Can anyone help????

Thanks in advance :smile:

Yep you can do Japanese and Korean Studies according to their website: https://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/programmes/bajapand/ (see the 'combinations' tab)
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Original post by umbrellala
Yep you can do Japanese and Korean Studies according to their website: https://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/programmes/bajapand/ (see the 'combinations' tab)

Hey :smile: I was thinking specifically Japanese and Korean, rather than Japanese and Korean Studies, since it's the language I'm interested in much more than the history and culture. It doesn't say anything about Japanese and Korean on the website but a lot of people on TSR have mentioned doing it? Do you think they mean Japanese and Korean Studies?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by squishysquash
Hey :smile: I was thinking specifically Japanese and Korean, rather than Japanese and Korean Studies, since it's the language I'm interested in much more than the history and culture. It doesn't say anything about Japanese and Korean on the website but a lot of people on TSR have mentioned doing it? Do you think they mean Japanese and Korean Studies?

Hello! My friend wanted to do Korean and Japanese, but the course mainly using the language has been removed or something? She had to change to Korean and Japanese Studies due to the course not existing (( she had the message from UCAS when she saved the choice; it said it wasn’t available anymore))
(edited 6 years ago)
Yep, just rang them and they used to have Japanese and Korean but they stopped that, now you have to do Japanese and Korean Studies (listed as Korean Studies and Japanese on UCAS for some reason supposedly, but year abroad is in Japan)
Reply 5
I do Japanese and Korean studies but some of my coursemates managed to secure Japanese and Korean before it disappeared idk how.

Whichever you choose, you have to major in one language the first year and do the intensive course of the other in the second year.
for Japanese heavy combined with Korean, we'll be able to go to Korea for 4weeks beforehand. I imagine its the same vice versa.

Message me if you have any more questions.

Quick Reply

Latest