The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

If homosexuality is fine, why is incest wrong?

Disclaimer: In my opinion incest IS NOT morally right

So why is incest deemed as wrong? You'll say it's because of the risk of disabled babies, but incest laws include acts that can't make babies. And what about incest between two of the same sex. There's no genetic risk here. You just don't like it because it's ew. But not too long ago, isn't that what everyone thought about homosexuality?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

homosexuals dont shag their family members thats why

edit: dont really mean it, op makes a good point i have no answer to
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Humz007
Disclaimer: In my opinion incest IS NOT morally right

So if gay sex is okay, how can incest be wrong. You'll say it's because of the risk of disabled babies, but incest laws include acts that can't make babies.
And what about incest between two of the same sex. There's no genetic risk here. You just don't like it because it's ew. But isn't what everyone thought about homosexuality not too long ago?

Damn, I clicked on this ready to call you stupid or whatnot but your argument is genuinely logical and valid.
I am against incest by the way, but I can totally see the point you’re making.
And the two are comparable how?
Original post by Humz007
You'll say it's because of the risk of disabled babies

You are wrong. The primary reason for anti-incest legislation is that almost all cases involve an older family member grooming and abusing a younger relative.
Original post by Tiger Rag
And the two are comparable how?

Homosexuality was regarded as taboo and morally wrong, and incest still is
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
You are wrong. The primary reason for anti-incest legislation is that almost all cases involve an older family member grooming and abusing a younger relative.

Nope the laws are against everyone regardless of age and consent
Reply 7

Took the words out of my mouth.
Original post by Humz007
Nope the laws are against everyone regardless of age and consent

Of course they are. It removes grey areas and makes the matter very black and white, leaving everyone knowing exactly where they stand, especially the older party. Adults caught up in unintentional incest can get an act of parliament to allow them to marry.

Is that the case though? It may be the reason for not repealing such legislation, but it generally stems from a time when it wasn't uncommon for marriages to be arranged between young girls and significantly older men.
Of course they are. It removes grey areas and makes the matter very black and white, leaving everyone knowing exactly where they stand, especially the older party. Adults caught up in unintentional incest can get an act of parliament to allow them to marry.

Or wouldn't it just be better to allow people to do it intentionally with the same age laws as normal relationships.
Tbh I can imagine a time in the not too distant future when incest has been normalised, just like homosexuality, transgenderism, and all that.
Because incestual sex, makes a ****ed up baby
it's like saying why is elephant hunting illegal if wasp killing is legal ?
Original post by DarthRoar
Tbh I can imagine a time in the not too distant future when incest has been normalised, just like homosexuality, transgenderism, and all that.

Yep you just predicted the future
Original post by the bear
it's like saying why is elephant hunting illegal if wasp killing is legal ?

Aren't elephants endangered though
Original post by Humz007
Aren't elephants endangered though

i haven't seen a single wasp this year ?

:dontknow:
Original post by CurlyBen
Is that the case though? It may be the reason for not repealing such legislation, but it generally stems from a time when it wasn't uncommon for marriages to be arranged between young girls and significantly older men.

No. It stems from time immemorial and a long and deeply-held taboo about incest (and remember that relatives by marriage and adoption are usually included in incest laws, though in Britain the in-laws were largely dropped in the 1980s). Those marriages were generally contracted when the child was young but not consummated until later anyway.
If they make acts that don’t create babies legal and suddenly it’s morally okay to be incestuous as long as you don’t have sex that can create a baby. Then it blurs the boundaries and if one act is okay and legal then there’s an argument for it all to be okay and legal and causes more problems with babies being born with genetic deficiencies.

Not sure if that makes sense....

Incest laws don’t exist anymore.It’s inappropriate familial relationship legislation
Incest has been a crime since 17thc. To prevent inter marriage. And was mostly enforced by the church by canon law.
Are you suggesting that only paedophiles were involved in those relationships?

Latest

Trending

Trending